R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default 2wd vs 4wd On Road Cars

This may qualify as a stupid question, but i'll throw it out there anyway.

Since there seems to be a move towards "Scale GT" style bodies, will there also be a shift in on-road technology from 4wd to 2wd?

I was watching the Sebring race this weekend and did some research on the American LeMans GT cars. Most of them (i think) seem to be rear-wheel drive cars. While i understand it would be pretty difficult to do scale engineering (front engine, mid-engine, rear engine) will car companies start to produce rear-wheel drive cars?

Would the public even want rear-wheel drive cars?

I guess my point is, with an increased interest in "scale" and "real-world" bodies, would people also want the chassis to match the real-world car on which it's based?

From a performance stand point, i'll answer my own question and say, probably not. It's just some ideas i figured i'd share.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think 2wd may be catching on but I don't think you'll see 4wd go away. Personally I've had both. I had a Tamiya F103GT and currently have a TT-01. The F103GT was awesome but very difficult to control. I like the TT-01 on the street a lot more because it's more of a basher. It seems like the 2wd, solid rear axle cars are more limited to smoother tracks while the 4wds are a bit more forgiving. I think people will still gravitate toward the 4wds because they're easier to drive and turn better. I'm glad we're seeing more 2wd cars though. There's nothing like direct-drive, it's incredibly fast and quiet.
St. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Tech Master

I should have been a little more clear, my fault.

I was thinking 2wd-gearbox-rear wheel drive. You would still get the benefit of four-wheel independent suspension.

Or maybe even some sort of rear-wheel-direct-drive with four-wheel independent suspention.

(Enough hyphens for everyone?)
Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Why not just buy a shaft car and remove the shaft? Then you'll have a RWD car.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Do you remember the RC10 DS? It was a 2wd onroad car based on the RC10T aluminum chassis platform. It used the stealth transmission with independent dogbone suspension. Is that what you have in mind?
St. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Tech Master

The RC10 DS and the Sebring race are what got me thinking about it... I have a DS and the dimensions are off somewhat for a 200mm body to fit properly. The other downside of the DS is that it wasn't designed for 12mm Hex wheels. There is a mod for the front axle using Traxxas parts that allows you to mount hex wheels.

That technology dates back to the late 80s or early 90s. I was wondering if someone isn't looking to update that tech and get away from the 4wd chassis to reflect today's rear wheel drive cars.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

on old buddy of mine had a tamiya ta03rs porsche. he removed the belt and all the gears in the front gear box and use to run it like that. he got so good at it he could drift out in the street and control it very well.

I've had a tamiya m02 when i first started out in the hobby and its WAY more control then is you were to take out a shaft in a shaft drivin car.

i hope to see more 4wheel indy, RWD cars!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Tech Elite

this enough for you?

go down to post 50, that's the finished chassis.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...t=95710&page=5
Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

4wd FTW
chris.v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Todays RC-Cars have much too much power for 2WD drivetrain. Pancars use extreme wide tyres to get the power to the street. A car with scale tyres will jsut spinn out.

BTW, most cars at Sebring were rear wheel drive, mid engine cars (ex. Porsche and Corvettes)
Der Dicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Dicke View Post
Todays RC-Cars have much too much power for 2WD drivetrain. Pancars use extreme wide tyres to get the power to the street. A car with scale tyres will jsut spinn out.

BTW, most cars at Sebring were rear wheel drive, mid engine cars (ex. Porsche and Corvettes)

Corvettes are front engine.

Are we talking touring car vs. pan car? What makes any sense about a more complicated, more expensive, heavier car that runs slower and for less time Pan cars RULE!
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

i have a Tamiya m02..... its VERY scale and its quick. its RWD and due to all the weight in the rear it doesn't spin out. you could use it on track or a dusty parking lot. doesn't let you down....

it will give any other scale looking Rwd car in its class a run for there money ;-)
Old 03-25-2009, 06:37 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Corvettes are front engine.

Are we talking touring car vs. pan car? What makes any sense about a more complicated, more expensive, heavier car that runs slower and for less time Pan cars RULE!
The trend towards scale realism is what i'm getting at. Pan cars, while they do rule and leave touring cars in the dust, don't relate very well to the GT bodies that are being run these days. The only solid rear axle cars racing today that i think they relate well to would be something like NASCAR. BTW, that's a whole other idea i have about scale realism.

@LATC3
I'll have to take a look at the M-02 chassis... but aren't the M-class cars smaller than the typical 1/10th scale.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
I'll have to take a look at the M-02 chassis... but aren't the M-class cars smaller than the typical 1/10th scale.
Actually they are 1/10 scale models of real smaller cars.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
The trend towards scale realism is what i'm getting at. Pan cars, while they do rule and leave touring cars in the dust, don't relate very well to the GT bodies that are being run these days. The only solid rear axle cars racing today that i think they relate well to would be something like NASCAR. BTW, that's a whole other idea i have about scale realism.

@LATC3
Have you looked into the World GT class?
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote