Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had to drop 4 teeth (64 pitch)
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:48 PM   #77
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

I too ran one of the new Epic pro Binary motors today. I started with the same roll out as my Monster (.95) and went down 3 teeth from there. Although it did turn a few wicked fast laps when it was geared hard, it fell off pretty bad after only 5-6 laps and steadily got worse. Lower rollouts resulted in less falling off, but never got much fast laps. For the main I abandoned the Binary and went with the moster and roll out I already knew and had the fastest run of the day for myself. I was only 4 seconds off the fastest run of the day overall and woulda been faster but I clucked it witha few laps to go.

All that to say this- I'm not impressed. It pulled 12 amps on the T35 but overall sucked.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 03:54 PM   #78
Tech Adept

Default Epic binary 2

Hey all I have just ordered 3 of these motor for me and my team mates for us to try from the states.

Because for some reason nobody in the UK imports epic products strange that really because we do import Trinity which are parent companys I think

Anyway has anyone got any more tips for these motors

Currently we race indoor on carpet tracks with a rollout of about 28mm and use a selection of motors from the MS to the integyv10/ v10R and Mvp's

Here is a piccy of one of the tracks we genrally race

It aint the clearest of pictures but you get the idea of the size of the track
BlueisBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:47 AM   #79
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

All I can say is be ready to drop down 3-4 teeth if you had been running a Monster Motor before. This is what we have found.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:53 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Yea I have a tip for you- keep running your Monster Stock in sedan and save yourself the trouble. It looks as if a good Moster or GM3 will make 3-5 watts more power than the Binary Pro.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:01 AM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well I ran faster laps with the Binary Stock in a back to back test on Sat at my local track. I was the only one practicing at the time... I used my best monster and the best of the two Binary's I had... I think the Binary will prove to be the faster of the two once we all get some more time to figure it out... I hated the Monster when it first came out also. On my CE turbo dyno both motors had very similar numbers... just a lot more RPM for the Binary
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 12:55 PM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default THE ARMATURE

for those who haven't checked it out. the armature appears at first to be the same as the one in the Monster...it is not.

1. there are 4 laminations missing off the stacks. 2 on one and 2 on the other.

2. the 2 stacks have been moved closer together. making for a shorter winding lenght, less wire, less resistance, less weight.

thinking of trying it in a Monster can
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 05:18 PM   #83
Tech Adept

Quite a difference in opinion on those post

I have tried all the stockers on the uk market thats why i wanted to try something new out from the states and see what you lads race and set up techniques are like

Like i said nobody imports epic so thats why i fancied it
BlueisBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:57 PM   #84
Tech Adept

So does anyone feel like unwinding theirs' to see if it actually has 64" of wire?

If it has less than 64" then that would really be the third strike, rule wise. That would seem like a deal breaker there.

I don't think the motor should be made ROAR legal because it breaks two rules (assuming they actually start epoxy balancing it). But in all honesty, I don't believe it offers any advantages over older designs. I still am not convinced that 4 magnets equals more power. It can certainly change the charecteristics of a motor, but I don't think it necessarily offers more power.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:06 PM   #85
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Intermision Send a message via Yahoo to Intermision

I think 4 magnets change it, but nobody knows how to harness the changes yet.
Intermision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:03 PM   #86
Tech Master

Wink

in pro type 1/24 slot car racing Quads were used in the early 80's. now in some (but not the stock type classes) classes they are up to 6-10 magnet segments on each side. they run on high power tracks.

www.slotcarcity.com
www.radtrax.com
www.oldweirdherald.com (slot car forum)

the huge wood tracks they run on, are usually 12v-16v powered with up to 4+ industrial Caterpillar type batteries with a trickle charger on them. they supply haneous and strong amperage thru out the race.

in 1/24 slot we want strong matched magnets. to the point their is no cog / thump as you turn the arm. this results in higher rpm and less vibration.

don't think slotcars are not prevelant to RC.....the endbells you enjoy today were used about ten+ years prior to the RC car industry using them. Prior to 1980, RC motor brushes were on copper levered endbelled Igarashi/Mabuchi type motors. i use to look at my Mura motors and wonder why these endbells weren't used on my RC motors back in 1978.....

also not to mention Armature technology ideas borrowed from 1/24 racing and the GOLD Dust brushes 1/24 guys have run for years now

don't know if the magnet technology will apply to stock RC motors as it does to Mod motors. maybe if istock was changed to a 19T type motor. i think the 27t is limited on being able to utilize this technology......as it is with the 16D class motors used in basic 1/24 racing

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 12-16-2003 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:14 PM   #87
Tech Master

i only ran this motor two 5min heats this past Sat. i went to true the arm last night. it had more wear than any of my other stock motors would have after 6 5 min heat runs.

looks like i will have to try softer springs than the purples it came with.

were they running these in Cleveland?

anyone know what set-up they were using?

When tha Monster stock first came out, i follwed the instructions on gearing and had no problems with any of my cars. i noticed the improvement right away over the GM3. most of the problems at our track was due to people not regearing and puffing the motors. almost 2+ a night for 1st month they were out.

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 12-16-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:26 PM   #88
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I ran my motor I ran at the Main at Champs (ran very well) and it was a turd!!! And making some strange noise. I hadnt run it at all since champs. So I put my Binary that I ran in 12th scale in it to finish the batery pack and it was plain old slow, but not 5mph slow like the sedan handout was. Talk about bizaare!!!

Ths motor has its quirks thats for sure. Fast performance one run and then dirt slow the next. Recut-new brushes and voila-its fast again, but for only one run or so. Whats even more bizaare is I didnt run drops or anything, broke in motors for maybe 120 seconds and one dyno run-then one heat. So nothing crazy. Rolled it out only .94" also!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:07 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm getting the new binary stock motor this week and was wondering, what I can do to break it? Somebody told me to true it up first and use tribo to break it? What spring combo do guys suggest for offroad?
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:22 PM   #90
Tech Apprentice

For best results do not use Tribo for break in. It is for use *after* the brushes are seated. It will prevent proper break in as it lubricates the comm and brush.

Breaking in a motor at 3 volts for around 300 secs with nothing on the comm (no drops) is what was recommended to me. After brushes are seated, retrue the comm with a light cut, tribo, and zoom zoom! Your choice to spray out the endbell side after every run or not, and then always reapplying a drop of tribo every time to the comm and bushing. I use tribo on all my bushings and bearings as well and have never had a problem.

Scott

P.S. - NEVER mix tribo with other comm drops. Only use it on new brushes as the other petroleum products will gum up the works and tribo is synthetic.
Shayd is offline   Reply With Quote