R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-18-2003, 09:36 PM   #136
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian McGreevy
hierog,

Just for your benefit, drop 2 teeth from your monster if you're running 48P, 4 teeth if 64P. This motor likes to be geared LOW...especially with RPM like that. Just trust me on the gearing.
okay, thanks for the heads up. i run 64 pitch now. i'll buy a few more pinions 2morrow to make sure I have a good spread!!
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:16 PM   #137
Tech Adept

I tried dropping mine down 3-4 teeth from where i was at with my MS and and thing was a dog, I was getting aynked down the straights badly. So I went up ( dont laugh ) 5 teeth, which is 2 more then where I was at with a MS and the thing screews, but it does get warm, not real warm but warm enough to make me watch it closely. Whats up with that.

I am runing sure shot slotted and purple springs with 6cells...
Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:52 AM   #138
Tech Adept

Smalls: What class are you running in? What is your rollout? If you had to gear up from a MS, I suspect your MS was undergeared badly to start with. The BS has a lot more RPM and a lot less torque, so the BS should always need to be geared lower (smaller pinion) than a MS. If you are seeing the opposite, then something else is amiss.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:34 AM   #139
Tech Regular

Default 48 vs 64

brian mcgrevey:
there is 1.5 x as many teeth per inch in a 64 pitch spur versus a 48 pitch. so if you go down 2 teeth on a 48 you should go down 3 on a 64 not 4 to get the same effect.
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:00 AM   #140
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Ok well all I know is many people who run here have been dropping 4 teeth running 64P, but thanks for the info...should've thought of that myself.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:26 AM   #141
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Haven't run it on a dyno but on the track this setup was blistering (stock touring car)!

Putnam Green on the + (trailing edge trimmed)
Putnam Blue on the - (trailing edge trimmed)
Purple Spring on the +
Red Spring on the -

Worked for me. Now if the tracks would just allow them. Guess I'll have to wait for Cleveland to open back up.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne

Last edited by dr_hfuhuhurr; 12-19-2003 at 11:33 AM.
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:28 AM   #142
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so have any of you guys been using them in 12th scale with any luck. I know the purple and red combo isnt' going to do good for a 8 minutes race.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow — never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long — you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:41 AM   #143
Tech Adept

The number of teeth you need to change is not just dependant on the pitch of the gears, it also depends on the ultimate drive ratio your shooting for... Like on a pan car... if you've got a 116 tooth spur, going down 2 teeth on the pinion is not the same as going down 2 teeth on the pinion when you have a 80 tooth spur...

Not to mention the fact that no two motors are alike, and the number of teeth you need to change when you go from one motor to another is highly dependant on exactly how the two motors actualy proform...

You should just consider it a general recomendation if someone says go down 4 teeth, etc... You're millage may vary...
DynoMoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:55 PM   #144
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Glen,

All I was giving him is a general rule of thumb for this motor in a TC.

nash,

I heard red/green was the setup most guys used at Cleveland for 12th. Remember for this motor not to use just dyno numbers to tell whether it's gonna be good or bad. I have had some that have dynoed just OK and been screamers on the track; they are really sensitive to gearing.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:13 PM   #145
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I ran both red/red and red/green in 12th and numbers were similar on dyno. I had no problems making runtime either and as I recall my last 5 laps werent a whole lot slower.

But I had brand new never run SMC packs too with pretty killer runtime.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:15 PM   #146
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

BUT YOU WAS IN MASTERS RAY!
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow — never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long — you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:29 PM   #147
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by nashrcracer
BUT YOU WAS IN MASTERS RAY!
Not anymore!!!

Its Stock 12th and Stock Sedan for the ROAR Carpet Nats for me!!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 03:27 PM   #148
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack
Had a chance to run the motor today for the first time. VERY fast on the top end, but nothing down low. Ended up at a final drive of 7.95 (Tamiya tourig car) and that was still too tall.

Once I found the sweet spot the motor was a bullet

Has anyone experimented with a brush combo that would help with the torque?
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 07:30 PM   #149
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by madjack
Had a chance to run the motor today for the first time. VERY fast on the top end, but nothing down low. Ended up at a final drive of 7.95 (Tamiya tourig car) and that was still too tall.

Once I found the sweet spot the motor was a bullet

Has anyone experimented with a brush combo that would help with the torque?
well share with a fellow Tamiya-n? What was your "sweet" spot? I have a surikarn and trie to run it today. I ended up using the monster because i was more familiar with it

thanks

vic
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:58 PM   #150
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally posted by hierog
well share with a fellow Tamiya-n? What was your "sweet" spot? I have a surikarn and trie to run it today. I ended up using the monster because i was more familiar with it

thanks

vic
Vic, the Epic motor worked best from 8.1 to 8.3 at Tamiya America...for me anyway. Anything taller than that and the car was a slug off the corners.
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote