Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Battery tape use... >

Battery tape use...

Battery tape use...

Old 03-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Battery tape use...

Hey guys, what tips can you give me for using battery tape? I picked up some Protek 1/2in tape for my TC5 using Orion and Reedy packs. I was looking at it and wonder if you measure it before you cut it. Thanks for any help...
Old 03-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I don't meausre, I just cut off a piece a little longer than necessary and cut off the excess.

If you haven't already done so, make sure the edges of the chassis are rounded off at the tape slots, or the chassis edge WILL cut the tape when you crash.

My method for taping the pack in is to cut the tape, stick it up through one slot, pull it taut across the bottom of the chassis, stick it up through the other tape slot. Then holding the tape out of the way, drop the battery in, then pull one side of the tape taut and smooth it down on top, then pull the other side taut, and smooth IT down over the top. THe tape should have a few inches of overlap. Cut off the excess, go race.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Nice...thanks alot, that seems like the best way to do it. I have smoothed the chassis as much as I could so that should be set...thanks a ton
Old 03-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I grab one end of the tape, toss it down the table, cut it, then wrap the tape around my battery.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Its just tape...so cheap, 1 of those will last you couple years...mine last me 2 years and counting. I use tape even on my TA05R tube chassis...just wound not trust that fancy carbon fiber battery mount instead of TAPE.

Tape the bottom of the chassis first, then place battery, then tape them together, and cut off the leftover...done.

1 tape can last 3-4 packs of battery replacment...but definitely use new tape on the MAIN...just a piece of mine.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

I have a slightly different taping method... probably needs pics to explain best.

Instead of running a single piece of tape all the way along the bottom of the chassis, and then looping it up and over the pack, I cut two pieces of tape.

I wind each one around the chassis slot at the far end of the battery bar, then make them meet in the middle. I fold the tape ends in on themselves to make easy tabs to pull the tape apart.

I find this easier, long pieces of tape invariable end up sticking to themselves or are difficult to line up straight along the bottom of the chassis, it also means there is less exposed tape to be cut during racing because wrapping it around the chassis slots makes it double thickness.

Usually this tape setup will last at least 3 races, sometimes a whole race day of 5 or 6.

Like I said, probably needs pics.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

i like to fold the ends over about 3 cm so when you put it on its not sticking to u making a hassle. For length I cut a piece of length from rear shock tower to just little past front bumper
Old 03-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by sosidge
I have a slightly different taping method... probably needs pics to explain best.

Instead of running a single piece of tape all the way along the bottom of the chassis, and then looping it up and over the pack, I cut two pieces of tape.

I wind each one around the chassis slot at the far end of the battery bar, then make them meet in the middle. I fold the tape ends in on themselves to make easy tabs to pull the tape apart.

I find this easier, long pieces of tape invariable end up sticking to themselves or are difficult to line up straight along the bottom of the chassis, it also means there is less exposed tape to be cut during racing because wrapping it around the chassis slots makes it double thickness.

Usually this tape setup will last at least 3 races, sometimes a whole race day of 5 or 6.

If you have time lets see some pics of this.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for all of the replies...I just got back from racing and love the tape over the strap...I ended doing the standard method and had a little scrap leftover and used it to tape 4 1/4 weights to the top of the pack...
Old 03-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge

That's exactly what I do. It seems to work quite well.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Hey guys, what tips can you give me for using battery tape? I picked up some Protek 1/2in tape for my TC5 using Orion and Reedy packs. I was looking at it and wonder if you measure it before you cut it. Thanks for any help...
Cut a strip the length of your car, it's now the correct length (perhaps a tad long if your running 5cell).

Feed it through the cell slots on the chassis and try to keep the tape fairly even in length sticking out of each end.
Turn a small bit over on itself at both ends, this will allow you to pull the tape apart easily after you've raced.

Make sure the cell slots have been 'rounded' from underneath otherwise it can cut the tape in a big crash.

If you've done it right you can run with the same tape a few times before it looses it's stick. Unless it's that cheap 'fibre re-inforced' type stuff which seems to come apart a bit too easily for my liking.

Job done
Skiddins
Old 03-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

I cut my finger at racing the other day and used strapping tape to stop the bleeding.

Strapping tape has a 101 uses.

Rhys
Old 03-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The tape is your friend. Use the tape. Respect the tape. Love the tape...
Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by crabboy
I cut my finger at racing the other day and used strapping tape to stop the bleeding.

Strapping tape has a 101 uses.

Rhys
Originally Posted by Trips
The tape is your friend. Use the tape. Respect the tape. Love the tape...
Ha , lol i like them both
Old 03-22-2009, 01:45 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i dont measure with a ruler, but i do use my chassis or other components as a guide on length..

in the TC...

just stick one end of the tape to your damper stay, then stretch out enough to tape it to the other damper stay and cut it off..
this method pretty much ensures the same length tape every time and also matches 5 or 6 cell uses in the end

with the tape, i thread it through the slot from the bottom and curl it back to stick it on the damper stay..
then lay the tape flat along the bottom of the chassis, doesnt really need to be pulled tight
thread the other end of the tape in the same way, curling it back to stick it to the damper stay..
then put the battery pack in fold the tape over itself in the middle (folding back the ends to make tabs etc)

in the F1..

stretch the tape to the length of the battery pack (hardcase lipo for me) and stick it at each end so you can let it go to cut it etc
this gives you a good length to wrap around the pack

-Mark