R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #61
wwoodruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoldman View Post
To the OP,

Here are some pictures of my current setup. This is a CRC chassis with a 7.4v 20C 2000mah Li-po and the Novak Mongoose 10.5 system. The car weighs 560 grams with the body, and performs extremely well. There are many variations of batteries that may be placed in this chassis, and most are around $20.00. Also, since you only need around 1200 mah, you can get some very small battery packs (1600-2000mah instead of 4000+).

It's a great car, and I don't think you'll be dissappointed with the weight, handling, or cost of the 7.4 setup.
What did you have to do to get the 380 size motor to bolt up? Very interesting, imagine if the pod was reconfigured to fit the motor dimensions?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #62
Tech Apprentice

Default Motor Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwoodruff View Post
What did you have to do to get the 380 size motor to bolt up? Very interesting, imagine if the pod was reconfigured to fit the motor dimensions?
It's a simple piece of sheet aluminum from the hardware store with 4 holes drilled in it. It's a very stable mount and allows the motor to use the original lower mounting hole in the side pod. I've also had quick conversations with Chris Doerr and Doug Powell (you guys reading this?) about making a new motor mount pod that would allow both the 380 and the 540 to be used. It's identical to the existing motor mount side pod, but would have an additional mounting slot beneath the top section. Simple, effective, stable, and is very easy/cost effective to manufacture. For now, I'll keep using my plate .
rcoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #63
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
Hey man... thanks alot for the pictures... The only problem I see for me is that my ESC is a bit big, so fitting it with those lipos might be a problem...

Do you mind giving me the dimensions of your ESC? Or the exact model so I can look the dimensions up? Thanks in advanced!

Hiu Riketsu the esc is a Tekin RS Pro/ receiver Spektrum micro.

Dimensions of lipos -- Trackpower 3200mah 70mm long/46mm wide/21mm high

Intellect 4200mah 68mm long/45mm wide/23mm high.
blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #64
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lots of great info here guys! Up here in the north we only race mod, so I don't think 1s would work for us. With this Mongoose system and a 2s lipo - how would that compare to 4,8 volt and 4,5 turn brushless? (8 min runs)

The new saddle lipos are the same size as NiMh. I think the solution for mod is 7,4 volt, back to "6 cell chassis" and smaller size motors.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #65
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Lots of great info here guys! Up here in the north we only race mod, so I don't think 1s would work for us. With this Mongoose system and a 2s lipo - how would that compare to 4,8 volt and 4,5 turn brushless? (8 min runs)

The new saddle lipos are the same size as NiMh. I think the solution for mod is 7,4 volt, back to "6 cell chassis" and smaller size motors.
Shy: the 10.5 mongoose on 7.4 volts is similar in top speed and punch to a 4.5 . The real advantage is not the top speed or power, but the handling. it will blow your mind how well they drive and how easy it is to set them up for a full 8 minute run. Dope stays in the tires the whole run; it's the first 1/12 i've ever driven that pushes into the run as opposed to getting steery/squirrley.

The only down-side of the mongoose 10.5 on 7.4v (2000 mah or greater packs) is that gearing is challenging to say the least. We've found that 16/100 is close to ideal with smallish tires. If you run on a tight/small track, this may be an issue, but either way it leaves little room for gearing changes. An solution to this issue is likely the 13.5, but then the power will be more tame.

I personnally run a 4400 kv micro heli motor with the castle micro speedo on 11.1 volts 1500 mah, and the gearing is much easier and adjustable. It has much more punch then the mongoose, and an 8 min. run takes about 900 mah out of the pack. It is very comparable in lap times to the mongoose 10.5, but not nearly as smooth (timing/punch is at 100% on speedo -may be part of the issue). My car also weighs under 550 grams.

I would still say the mongoose is the better system due to the sensored system and car-specific motor. (my heli motor fell apart after a few good hits)

good luck with the class. once you drive a car with this set-up you will scratch your head as to why the industry wants to run these cars at 800g.

enjoy!
The Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #66
Tech Apprentice

Default Agree with the REV

I agree with Rev's comments. The 10.5 mongoose is very quick and feels like a 4.8v 3.5 or 4.5. I had a great time driving it, and it feels just like 4-cell mod (maybe quicker). I think the 13.5 mongoose system with a 7.4v pack and a proper ratio would work on most tracks (small-to-large) and would give you good 5.5-7.5 4-cell mod performance. If you decide to 13.5, keep the tires smallish (1.72 or so) and try a 17/100 and gear up from there.

The weight and handling of the cars will definitely impress you. 550 grams is a large difference over the current weights of 800. It's also nice when you hit the walls and nothing breaks. Definitely give it a try, and be prepared to smile.
rcoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #67
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thx guys! I'd really like to try this before the indoor season is over. Sensorbased is for sure better suited for cars. Will there be a mod lipo proposal/rule change in ROAR?

800? Mine is very close to 900 :-)

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-09-2009 at 12:53 PM.
shy@klp.no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaksaddle View Post
Last weekend was getting the car dialed in - I am fairly confident I can hit 8 mins + with it, tonight and tomorrow night will be dialing in everything further, changing rollout, rewire and resolder stuff and working on correcting a lot of my oversteer on the transmitter.

Anyone running the same setup having issues with their PT?

I ran the 1cell lipo for the second time last weekend and I did have a problem in the main with my PT not counting, missed one or two laps. That was with the TQ booster not a receiver pack and I'm not sure if its a track issue or power issue. I'm going to try the car on a different track this weekend and see if the problem continues.

I'm really loving the stories of the mongoose system trials, I have that esc in my 12r5 and as soon as I can find a 10.5 motor I'm going to try it.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Hmm. I've run at two tracks, CORRC in Denver and Magic City here with the SMC 1s pack and one of the $5 Chinese boosters and haven't had counting problems at either facility. Do you use one of the MRT "clone" transponders or an AMB unit? Not sure that could cause a problem or not, but like to try and find where things differ if we're trying to troubleshoot.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

I'm using an AMB unit located on top of the servo and the loop is under the asphalt. This week will be a carpet track and I'm thinking I might move the pt to behind the bumper if I still have issues. BTW if I recall you were looking for a mongoose 10.5, did you try it in one of your 1/12 cars?

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Hoping to try it next week. I've got 8.5, 10.5 and 13.5 motors so I'll have plenty to do PLUS trying VTA cars on 1s with the 13.5 to see how they compare with 4-cell 27T.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 AM   #72
Tech Adept

Hey guys,

I was thinking about getting the SMC 3.7 pack to run in a 12th scale. I was just wondering what extra things i needed e.g. receiver pack and what voltage and maH. I am currently running a Yeah racing brainless brushless motor 13t. Here is a link to the rc mart with the stats listed, http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bru...d-p-28345.html. I says it can only run 2-3 lipo cells but i was wondering if i could still run with one.
Any advice, diagram, picture guide would be very helpful,

Thanks in advance