R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

OH man that is an ugly circuit board. No wonder the voltage drop is as high as it is. I will keep the Deans please
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Danny,
When it comes to inboard connectors - Trackpower probably did it the best. They don't use a power robbing circuit board.
The female bullets are keyed into the case. Then there is a short 10 or 12 guage wire connecting the female bullet to the cell.
This takes the mechanical stress away from the cell tabs and it's a very good electical connection.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:48 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Go on then, I'll bite.

Both Deans and Corallys have been around for years.
Up till LIPOs came on the scene any driver that did not directly solder to his cells used - Corallys!

So how come suddenly Deans are so good vs Corallys?

Were all the top drivers wrong all those years?
donwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #19
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I know on my 1/12 pan car when I switched from using Deans to direct soldering I did not see an improvment in power, speed or Amp Draw. The Same ammount of power being used over a 8 minute race tells me that there was not bottleneck at the connector.

But I have no idea about Lipos
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Interesting, I admit I prefer the inboard connectors for the looks of the pack but I have had the 4mm Corally's come out before.

Although Deans are very common in the UK I prefer the Core plugs and sockets, which are glorified Corally's in keyed plastic housing's. However, they never ever come loose and can even be a pain to undo.

Danny, how about a test session with the Core's to see how they compare with Dean's?

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would do this myself but I don't have the equipment...

I'd like to see a comparison between bullet connectors and Deans with a wire soldered to both male and female ends. Just take about 6" of wire to solder to male and female and test the resistance for each connector and see which is better. Solder up several sets of each and get an average to improve validity.

That will better tell us which connector is actually better. Should the bullets come out ahead, then the resistance issues we're discussing is simply a problem with the way the inboard connectors are being soldered to the tabs.

Danny- Any chance we can see a similar pic of the internals of an SMC pack wired with Deans?
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Danny,

Starting in October, won't all lipo packs have to have a circuit board to prevent overcharging?

Heard there was something cooking with the Feds to prevent potential overcharging of any form of lipo pack.

Thanks.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I was under the impression that the real bottleneck in the flow of juice is the solder joints themselves, whether they be inside the pack, the connection to the plug, or the connection to the ESC, and that the resistance of deans/bullets/traxxas connectors is actually lower than the resistance of the solder joint. Either way, I like clean installs and deans just don't cut it for me so I will continue to use packs with inboard connectors. Thanks for the info Danny!

-rocky b
flatspunout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Danny:
Any chance that you could use a more flexible wire (like TQ Racing 13 gauge) on the single cell lipo? The wire used now makes it difficult to install the pack in my Gen-X. Just a thought.....
Stuart Pid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #25
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbs3 View Post
I would do this myself but I don't have the equipment...

I'd like to see a comparison between bullet connectors and Deans with a wire soldered to both male and female ends. Just take about 6" of wire to solder to male and female and test the resistance for each connector and see which is better. Solder up several sets of each and get an average to improve validity.

That will better tell us which connector is actually better. Should the bullets come out ahead, then the resistance issues we're discussing is simply a problem with the way the inboard connectors are being soldered to the tabs.

Danny- Any chance we can see a similar pic of the internals of an SMC pack wired with Deans?
I don't have the time to do this test and I would bet that the difference between a Deans and a Bullet connector is very small.

You have to use a circuit board as there is no way to solder tubes directly to the cells tabs.

I will try and get a picture of one of our packs with 12 gauge wires soldered to the cells tabs.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #26
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Danny,

Starting in October, won't all lipo packs have to have a circuit board to prevent overcharging?

Heard there was something cooking with the Feds to prevent potential overcharging of any form of lipo pack.

Thanks.

Bill

UN T1-T8 certification will be required by October 1st and I don't think packs will need to have overcharge PCB.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwhit View Post
Go on then, I'll bite.

Up till LIPOs came on the scene any driver that did not directly solder to his cells used - Corallys!

+1
Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #28
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwhit View Post
Go on then, I'll bite.

Where does it say that Deans are better than Bullet style connectors ?

My test was to prove that the use of tube/Bullet style connectors with PCB offers higher resistance than 12 gauge wires with connectors.

Another thing to consider is the materials used to make connectors. High end connectors are made with plated copper. I have seen knock off connectors that use plated brass.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
You have to use a circuit board as there is no way to solder tubes directly to the cells tabs.
If you can solder 12 ga wire to the tabs, would it be possible to have the hardcase lock the tubes into position and then solder a short 12 ga. wire form the tab to the tube?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #30
Company Representative

Yes that would be possible if the case is designed to only be plugged on one side. Our EFRA/BRCA packs/case can be plugged on both sides so this required a circuit board. One thing we have learnt with hardcase packs is that it's very hard to make them so they fit in all cars/trucks so this new case we hope will be very versatile and will fit in many cars/trucks.