R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default TC4, Cyclone S, or Sprint2 Sport??? HELP!!!

I am in the process of getting back into R/C racing after 10 years and just recently purchased an RC18T for offroad bashing and parking lot racing. I will now be getting a 1/10 touring car and I don't know which one is the best for me. I am a rookie driver so I want something simple at first, but I can wildly upgrade after I get better at driving. I also want a RTR because I am not into purchasing a controller that is more expensive than the car itself and want a car that I can just learn to drive the way it is.

Should I choose a:

Team Associated TC4 RTR
Hotbodies Cyclone S RTR
HPI Sprint2 Sport RTR

Thanks for the input and I will be making my purchase in the next week or so.

Mark
mlight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Well, having a TC4 myself. I can say it's strong and durable car. And can be upgraded to a FT TC4.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was in the same situation last year. I ended up buying a used TC4. I'm really glad I did. It's a very tough car with lots of adjustments. There's not much reason to upgrade anything. If you get to the point where you start feeling held back by the car, don't upgrade it. Sell and step up to a pro level TC at that point. Otherwise, the TC4 is a great car to grow and learn with. Parts support is plentiful and there are probably many racers around you that are familiar with the car and how to set it up.

The Cyclone would be an okay choice, but it's not as durable as the TC4. I don't have one, but those around me that do seem to think they are money pits.

Another car you should consider is the Tamiya TA-05 series. It's a good TC to start out with as well.

I wouldn't even consider the HPI Sprint 2. It's a really old design and doesn't have the adjustability of better and more modern cars.

Whatever you choose, make sure you can find local parts support for it. Having to wait for stuff via mail order can be a pain.
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cyclone S.

Our club runs a spec class with these cars and they're pretty good. Our local fast guy borrowed one to run in our stock touring class and with no set up changes (he changed ESC, motor and batteries) he finished 2nd. With a few changes he probably could have won.

Only gripe I have with the cars is the suspension is a little brittle. The C-hubs are made out of eggshells and the steering knuckles aren't much better. The regular Cyclone C hubs fit straight on and are significantly stronger.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to milton6599

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlight13 View Post
I am in the process of getting back into R/C racing after 10 years and just recently purchased an RC18T for offroad bashing and parking lot racing. I will now be getting a 1/10 touring car and I don't know which one is the best for me. I am a rookie driver so I want something simple at first, but I can wildly upgrade after I get better at driving. I also want a RTR because I am not into purchasing a controller that is more expensive than the car itself and want a car that I can just learn to drive the way it is.

Should I choose a:

Team Associated TC4 RTR
Hotbodies Cyclone S RTR
HPI Sprint2 Sport RTR

Thanks for the input and I will be making my purchase in the next week or so.

Mark
I say it all depends on you!! What are your plans?? You are going to build a T/C, Trams Am or a Drifter??

My choice will be a HotBodies or the HPI Sprint 2.
TAMIYA TT-01
SPEKTRUM DX3S
TEKIN RACING
HITEC
TEAM ORION LiPo

ROAR MEMBER No 5-118577
milton6599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I will be racing at a couple of parking lot tracks and will keep it as a consistent touring car. Each track is different as far as traction, bumps, size, etc. so I want something that will adjust to the differences. Also, what are the benefits or drawbacks of a shaft drive (TC4) or belt drive (Cyclone and Sprint2)? Thank you all for the input so far...
mlight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What does your LHS have parts for?
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Get the cyclone S. Buy the hard material c-hubs and knuckles and put em in when you break the originals. they last a crazy long time for me, over a year since i broke one(on my carbon cyclone) And its not like i never hit the pipes so that is sayin somthin rite there. Plus as you get better you can upgrade the parts one by one/as needed to the whole pro car, thats how upgradeable it is, plus it shares proven cyclone WCE suspension geometry. also the cyclone was designed or rubber racing on asphalt surface so that is where its strenght is at, perfect for u. maybe ill give u my setup But whatever is more available or more supported at your local track/shop is a good choice for convenience. Good luck!

HB Cyclone Moore Speed WCE Edition - HB/BMI Cyclone(foam)
Team Magic G4RS pwered by EB mods and O.S. engines
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Tech Adept

I can only comment about the Cyclone S but out of the box you'll need to upgrade to universals in the front, and at the least aluminum knuckles. The chassis itself isn't the strongest. Broke one. From a car catching the back of my car...snapped it right in 2... so you'll need to upgrade those at the minimum.

Second bit i've learned. Going with a RTR is a waste of money for your very first thing. How do I know? Just ask me! I first got into rc got a cyclone S(besides all the problems i had witht eh car itself) there's alot to go with it. Like batteries, charger, electronics, etc. Why is that a problem? the battery doesnt last(you'll need better one) the charger takes forever(you'll need a better one). The ESC can only hand 21t motors so if you ever decide to race 19t or any other you'll need a new one there. The motor is a stock motor. nice to learn on, not for racing.

So that could be picky, sure. But heres what my wallet looked like. Spent $350 to get the car and a nice charger. Spent another $30 on a better battery. I was set. Go to the track. Broke part..broke part...broke part. And non of the guys at the track could figure it out. Guess what? The dog bones would pop out of the axle and literally rip apart the c-hubs and knuckles. Couldn't finish a 5 minute race without the ec cutting off the battery because its low runtime.

So you upgrade right? Now i'm looking at another $50-60 in upgrades. Plus eaily $100 or more in replacement parts in just a few short weeks... so worth the money.

THEN theres more you need. What if you go to lipo? what about peaking or discharging your packs properly? maintenance, tools, upgrades like mots and things? Well ure you can go buy them, but you're going to be out money in the end. You're better off buying a rolling chassis, and individual parts and put it in there. Yes it will be a little more expansive in the beginning BUT in the end you'll save yourself money and headache.

If I had known this I'd have easily saved $400+.... Oh and don't expect resale to be very good either...
RC-DriftNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to MKO3jzgte

i havent tried the cyclone s but the TC4 is a good drift car,and so is the yokomo but i'm still working on it.I'm still thinking about trading my TC4 for a cyclone.I used to have a sprint 2 but i didnt like it.
Tamiya TA03
MKO3jzgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to milton6599

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlight13 View Post
I will be racing at a couple of parking lot tracks and will keep it as a consistent touring car. Each track is different as far as traction, bumps, size, etc. so I want something that will adjust to the differences. Also, what are the benefits or drawbacks of a shaft drive (TC4) or belt drive (Cyclone and Sprint2)? Thank you all for the input so far...
Well then in that case!! Belt driven all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Between the cyclone or the Sprint that will be on your budget..
TAMIYA TT-01
SPEKTRUM DX3S
TEKIN RACING
HITEC
TEAM ORION LiPo

ROAR MEMBER No 5-118577
milton6599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've had the Cyclone "S" and I agree with those talking about broken parts. I broke 2 chassis, the dogbone issue in the front caused me to get uni's, diffs coming loose and breaking (another upgrade), weak C hubs, etc.... once you get those things fixed it works quite well. But be prepared for a few headaches first. It will however upgrade to a full blown Cyclone so that is a plus... when you break.. upgrade. I agree don't go RTR... get the kit and save some money. Then you can get some cheaper stuff to start like radio.... you can get a cheaper FM for around $40 which is better than the AM it comes with.

My suggestion would be a Tamiya TA05. Very durable... upgrades galore for it... works great! Get the other stuff needed (radio, esc, etc...) and you'll be off having a great time!!

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you want durability and the adjustability of modern TC kits and modest
electronics, get the TC4 RTR. The kit itself is durable (been using mine since
2007), CVDs on all corners, chrome wheels, aero body, some tools included
with droop and camber guage, LRP esc (15T limit), 17T included motor, AM
radio but with micro reciever, included radio has EPA, dual rate and low batt
beep alerts and servo with metal gears. Nice manual with setup guides.
Possible to use 7 sub-c cells. Out of the box it performs better than other
stock RTRs like Cyclone S or TA05. Overall, it's a better choice.

At present, it has Novak XBR 10.5 BL system and servo but retained my
radio systems. I also have a TC5R with an insane speed package setup.
My TC4 runs smoother and stable than the TC5R and I dont have to worry
about street debris messing up my transmission. If you ever get the TC4
RTR, change the rear springs to silver and place your batts forward.
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Maybe im wrong, but I dont think the Sprint2 chassis favours bigger brushless ESC's, unless you have long wiring.

I'd either go for a tc4, or a ta05

Or, look around and see whats popular. The more popular it is, the more chance you have on finding a good setup, and some parts if you need any.

Don't rush your decision, better to buy whats right for you first time, than to buy twice

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote