Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Share Your Experience with ESC accidently connected in reverse battery polarity. >

Share Your Experience with ESC accidently connected in reverse battery polarity.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Share Your Experience with ESC accidently connected in reverse battery polarity.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
It not covered under the warranty. But the charge to fix is less then a new pack.
But if you're overseas the courier charges are not cheap not forgetting the wait time. They will come back to you say wanna quote you a new battery.

At least I found a way to share with everyone here.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
Well, I did learn that the Tamiya 101 ESC does not have reverse polarity protection... but then I also discovered that it is an easy fix. The circuit board on this giant ESC is so old-skool that even a talentless solder-man like me can fix it...

http://www.sosidge.com/2007/03/05/th...ity-protected/

Someone else at my track had it blow in exactly the same spot.

Thanks for sharing, eventually by default TEU-101BK came with Tamiya plug. I got one for my 1st Tamiya car. So there is no way you can short. Unless if you replaced it with bananas & plugged wrongly.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

one time in the rush to get my car on the track I plugged the bananna plugs in wrong on my lipo. i turned it on and smoke billoed from esc. there goes the speedo. In addition to the the wires got so hot the solder melted and dripped onto my hand before i even realised wat i had done that hurt!!
this was when i used the original orion 3200 carbon. battery still works great today.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Little_Mike
one time in the rush to get my car on the track I plugged the bananna plugs in wrong on my lipo. i turned it on and smoke billoed from esc. there goes the speedo. In addition to the the wires got so hot the solder melted and dripped onto my hand before i even realised wat i had done that hurt!!
this was when i used the original orion 3200 carbon. battery still works great today.
Glad to know Kokam still emphasize on safety when it design batts for TO.

It still comes to the point where there is still no short protection for ESC likewise mentioned.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One time i was on the driver's stand of a local parking lot track and its low enough to the ground so you can sit on it before you put your cars down to race. So before my race, i was sitting there, car in hand, 3pk in the other, and i was ready to race.

The guy next to me must have been a little behind, becuase he threw his body on the car, turned his radio on, and in a hurry plugged the battery and esc leads toghether. Much to his demise, they where backwards.

Orange smoke filled the touring car's body and started pouring out the bottom and body post holes. The look on his face was sad and hilarious at the same time, priceless, you may say.

I'm just glad something like that hasn't happened to me. (knock on wood...)
Old 03-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by a_main_attendee
One time i was on the driver's stand of a local parking lot track and its low enough to the ground so you can sit on it before you put your cars down to race. So before my race, i was sitting there, car in hand, 3pk in the other, and i was ready to race.

The guy next to me must have been a little behind, becuase he threw his body on the car, turned his radio on, and in a hurry plugged the battery and esc leads toghether. Much to his demise, they where backwards.

Orange smoke filled the touring car's body and started pouring out the bottom and body post holes. The look on his face was sad and hilarious at the same time, priceless, you may say.

I'm just glad something like that hasn't happened to me. (knock on wood...)
We all do NOT wish at all something like this. I believe it was a bit dark so he might have overlook the cable color. It is saddening to hear people hard earned money ended in ashes due to this.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i touched mine for a split second and my shere blew up then i bought another one inthe shop and had a drag brake issue. the worst night ive had raceing to date
Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gweed
i touched mine for a split second and my shere blew up then i bought another one inthe shop and had a drag brake issue. the worst night ive had raceing to date
From all feedbacks received. The conclusion is there are no ESC short protection. Hence the main objective is for the co. to make money. Since this is not covered by warranty.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I hooked up my GTB backwards for a second yesterday. It made a big spark and I immediately knew what was wrong. I reversed the plugs and it worked fine. I had this happen with a Tekin 411P many years ago and it blew out the brakes. The brakes still work fine in the GTB...
Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I threw my orion lipo after I did this!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toh WL
From all feedbacks received. The conclusion is there are no ESC short protection. Hence the main objective is for the co. to make money. Since this is not covered by warranty.
I believe the LRP TC spec has a short protection, saw it used twice in one day
Old 03-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Drifting101
I believe the LRP TC spec has a short protection, saw it used twice in one day
We all hope so. But Hara blew one on practice prior to KLGP race @ Malaysia.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've blown up 2.

First one back in 2006, wookie was at the race when I did it and was gracious enough to give me a replacement on the spot for free.

Second time happened a month ago. Wires for the power were soldered onto the board for a GTB instead of using the default plugs (not sure why this one had it this way)... Anyways... Negative power lead that goes to Receiver came undone and shorted out on the positive. Doesn't work any longer. Still need to get this Speedo into Novak for replacement.

Paul
Old 03-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

reverse polarity protection on esc is possible, but this feature will kill a little bit of performance. this is a no go for any high performance competition esc.
it may be small, but it will be there...and that will be a turn-off for many users who are looking to extract every bit of performance...

g
Old 05-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gortan
reverse polarity protection on esc is possible, but this feature will kill a little bit of performance. this is a no go for any high performance competition esc.
it may be small, but it will be there...and that will be a turn-off for many users who are looking to extract every bit of performance...

g
The manufacturer can introduce diode in series. However each diode will take away 0.7V alongside heat built up. This will degrade overall ESC performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.