R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Again, why not let the product come to the market before we start hating on it. I have a link car in front of me right now and I can't say that I know for a fact that I can get it as good as I can get a tbar car to go. If this pack is equal to near equal the performance of these brick packs than maybe the tbar gurus out here will make up any short comings with our tbar cars, at least we are wanting to give it a shot at least. Variety is a good thing.

Sorry to seem to pick on you Mike, I have read some good posts from you but some of us have been waiting for this product and I just don't see any reason yet to discourage it, or speedzone for making it.

BTW, from a sales stand point, I would rather create a new market than to enter a already crowded market.

Steve
That's fine, but Gavin runs a small operation and I'd hate to see him lose a few thousand $ on the hopes this will sell. If the larger companies have not pushed forward with the design it's a sign to me that they do not see it as a big enough seller. If I end up racing 1/12th this season I would like to see the option available, but if realistically he's only going to sell 30-40 packs he's not going to make back what he put into it.

I've seen it many times, with WGT being one of the biggest recent examples, people exploded when they heard it was coming back, I personally bought one, and there ended with 3 of us locally. Sure every locale will be different and it did better at some tracks, but far from the explosion that would replace TC racing.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaksaddle View Post
I agree - if there was a saddle pack 3.7v lipo option I would be on it like white on rice on a paper plate in the middle of a snowstorm... and switch my current lipos out in a heart beat...if not quicker.

Make a Saddle Pack version and I will buy 3.
I would buy one too. I have not race 1/12th waiting for one to come out.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Good points, and even though I don't know Gavin, I would hate to see him lose money on this too. Have you ever considered how many tbar cars are out there? Lets say for a second that because of the design, Gavin's product is down on voltage by a very small margin but it does get released. We buy the product in decent numbers then we get the tbar cars out of mouthballs (), then show them to handle the same or better than the link cars, his sales should then increase steadily from that point. Currently after selling many of my cars lately I still own 7 tbar cars and 2 link cars. Any guesses as to which I perfer?

Steve

Some of the best products ever known to man, were gambles. Only Gavin can figure out if this is the right product or not. I can tell you for certain that this thread has seen more replies than his brick thread. There is about 10 bricks for sale in the US and no saddles yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
That's fine, but Gavin runs a small operation and I'd hate to see him lose a few thousand $ on the hopes this will sell. If the larger companies have not pushed forward with the design it's a sign to me that they do not see it as a big enough seller. If I end up racing 1/12th this season I would like to see the option available, but if realistically he's only going to sell 30-40 packs he's not going to make back what he put into it.

I've seen it many times, with WGT being one of the biggest recent examples, people exploded when they heard it was coming back, I personally bought one, and there ended with 3 of us locally. Sure every locale will be different and it did better at some tracks, but far from the explosion that would replace TC racing.
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Was World GT supposed to replace touring cars, I hate it when I don't get those memo's.

Seriously, I don't see this as being the same thing. We already run 1/12th and accept it for being the great class that it is. We are just trying to run our perferred design, that's all.

Steve
Old 10-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #80
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Currently after selling many of my cars lately I still own 7 tbar cars and 2 link cars. Any guesses as to which I perfer?
That's cool, if there are 150 potential customers out there waiting for these, even with my equation if they bought 2 packs each he'd have 100 sold

Whats popular and what people have can be so different, last season, I'd say at least 80% of the 12ths locally were link cars, and 1s just started testing at the very end of the season.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #81
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just to get a feel, why not set up a thread to poll the 12th scale racers on RCTech as to their preference, all else equal, for chassis type...link or t-bar? I tend to think that some t-bar guys switched over to link cars more because of the type of battery pack available than a preference for the link car over a t-bar car.

Just a thought.
Old Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

There can't be a market for this year as the ROAR deadline has passed, May1st would be the soonest anyone could gain approval.

I don't know of to many clubs or race tracks that allow racers to run non-ROAR approved lipo packs. For next season it would be awesome.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lipo_approval_form.pdf (40.2 KB, 190 views)
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #83
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would love to have saddle pack for 1/12.
Most 1/12 cars in europe are still T bar
BRCA and EFRA 1 s lipo submission dates are still open to the end of Jan 2010
reynard55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #84
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I too am awaiting this saddle pack. I don't want to change chassis. This is a thought for link cars they could run the saddle pack and run there wires down the middle of thier cars too, keeping them low and out of sight. So a saddle pack can be run in both style cars easily and the bricks can be run easily in 1 style, link. I believe the engineers over, or under, thought this one. If Gavin builds it I think it will sell.
Tim
Old 10-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Creado View Post
Okay...here is a full update.
As I previously mentioned, we were going to release in October. However, I am now leaning towards eliminating the bullet connectors for the saddle pack and have a straight jumper. The reason for this is that I think it is more beneficial to not have a bullet connector for both the jumper and the positive and negative leads. I think two bullet points would be okay but with 4 we risk increasing the resistance slightly. I have never been a big fan of the whole resistance talk with direct vs. bullet but I want the customer to have no doubts when it comes to performance of our packs...

I would still like to produce this pack but not really sure now if everyone has swithched to a link car. So I would be happy to hear your thoughts on this.

Do we have a market?
Gavin just a thought on the hard wire jumper vs the extra buillets. Are you going to have humps on the bottom of the two packs? Not all tbar cars have the cells in the same orentation so if you were to go with the hard wire it may not fit all models. In the pic below I have my HDpro3 and S120 together to show this. Now if the packs are going to be flat on the bottom this will not be an issue.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #86
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Gavin just a thought on the hard wire jumper vs the extra buillets. Are you going to have humps on the bottom of the two packs? Not all tbar cars have the cells in the same orentation so if you were to go with the hard wire it may not fit all models. In the pic below I have my HDpro3 and S120 together to show this. Now if the packs are going to be flat on the bottom this will not be an issue.
Good catch, Chris!! That is important and makes the use of a plug in jumper more important. But I also understand that the more plugs, the more resistance.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #87
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
I'm of the same thinking, I think, here with the bullet connectors the layout of the batts are not limited. Also if the bottoms are flat you could move one side to different positions to achieve optimal balance. I really think that is the way to go. It would break the weight down to 2 movable pieces of ballast.
Tim
Old 10-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #88
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker View Post
There can't be a market for this year as the ROAR deadline has passed, May1st would be the soonest anyone could gain approval.

I don't know of too many clubs or race tracks that allow racers to run non-ROAR approved lipo packs. For next season it would be awesome.
Most clubs or tracks are non ROAR tracks so why would this be a big deal. We have one track here that is a ROAR track, the rest try to follow the rules but most rules are not followed directly as written. This product should not be rushed to the market but it should not be delayed either. Exceptions could possibly be made anyways. I'm sure Gavin has spoken to Ruben about this type of situation. Either way many people would still buy it.

Steve
Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #89
Tech Regular

Gavin a poll thread is started , look and see and judge for yourself if the interest and $$ are there. And anyother manufactures out there.
Tim
Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd let you know it appears Gavin is making progress on a 1s Brick pack as he posted photos of the pack on 10/06 located at the following link:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...c-1s-lipo.html

GAVIN: I know you're working on two seperate packs, (a 1s brick and saddle configuration) and although the specs are different wouldn't it make sense from a marketing perspective to post updates under "one" forum regarding your progress for both packs? JMO, not that it matters...but I'm looking forward to supporting the use of your products.