R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #61
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+2
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #62
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Creado View Post
Do we have a market?
You won't if you don't get them out soon!

No disrespect or snottiness intended, but that's just the truth. I love my T-bar car, but the season is starting here and everyone else is moving on. We're allowed to run 3-cell nimhs here against the LiPo cars, but they're a lot heavier and quality matched nimhs are getting harder to find. I'm pretty close to giving in and buying a link car.

Any pictures of a real-life prototype, rather than CAD drawings? If you don't have pre-production units going around a track yet, I'm not seeing how these could be shipping any time soon...

Neal
SUV-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Gavin...PM sent

I'm getting so desperate that I'm thinking of taking a chop saw to a 1s brick pack...

Question:
Since I know nothing about the chemical composition or configuration/design of LIPO's my question is of a general nature.

It appears LIPO's are soft in composition and moldable? With this being said, is it difficult to mold a 1s LIPO pack around a channel in a brick style pack to clear a t-bar designed chassis? Yes the case height may have to be taller but it should still clear under the body?

Would it be easier/cheaper to have a brick case designed with a channel to clear the t-bar?

How about someone produces brass weights that fit in the slots of a t-bar car but tall enough so that a brick pack will rest on the weights to clear the t-bar....I wish i had acces to a machine shop...
Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #64
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Okay...here is a full update.

Firstly, here is a picture of our design:

As I previously mentioned, we were going to release in October. However, I am now leaning towards eliminating the bullet connectors for the saddle pack and have a straight jumper. The reason for this is that I think it is more beneficial to not have a bullet connector for both the jumper and the positive and negative leads. I think two bullet points would be okay but with 4 we risk increasing the resistance slightly. I have never been a big fan of the whole resistance talk with direct vs. bullet but I want the customer to have no doubts when it comes to performance of our packs...

I would still like to produce this pack but not really sure now if everyone has swithched to a link car. So I would be happy to hear your thoughts on this.

Do we have a market?
I think you have a market right now, but as the one guy said indoor season are starting or will be starting soon. So they need to be out soon. I know my self have gotten a link car but still like the tbar so have it for sale but if I can run it I may sell the link car.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:

As I previously mentioned, we were going to release in October. However, I am now leaning towards eliminating the bullet connectors for the saddle pack and have a straight jumper. The reason for this is that I think it is more beneficial to not have a bullet connector for both the jumper and the positive and negative leads. I think two bullet points would be okay but with 4 we risk increasing the resistance slightly. I have never been a big fan of the whole resistance talk with direct vs. bullet but I want the customer to have no doubts when it comes to performance of our packs...

I would still like to produce this pack but not really sure now if everyone has swithched to a link car. So I would be happy to hear your thoughts on this.

Do we have a market?
I think there will always be a market for a 1S LiPO saddle pack especially with so many die-hard, swear by the t-bar racers out there. It may not be a huge market, but you'll be the only one making them giving you first mover advantage. You might want to explore Carl's solution creating a bridge in the brick pack to clear the t-bar which may allow for it to be brought to market faster. Although it seems like it would be a tight fit with the shock and upper pod plate. However, the saddle packs would be ideal.

As for t-bar car setup I think the only thing that needs to be changed is moving to a thinner t-bar...
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano View Post
How about someone produces brass weights that fit in the slots of a t-bar car but tall enough so that a brick pack will rest on the weights to clear the t-bar....I wish i had acces to a machine shop...
Forget the brass (too heavy), have some prototypes made in delrin and then for a final product have it made in plastic.

You could also try to find some of the 12L4 battery holders and modify them with several layers of dbl sided tape to be high enough for the brick pack to clear the t-bar.

Last edited by Apex; 10-06-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #67
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Do we have a market?
Please, PLEASE do not use 10, 11 or 12 ga wire for the jumper. While I agree with you about plugs for the jumper, your biggest market for these packs will be 1/12th and no one uses anything more than 16ga wire these days. Maybe 14ga wire would make a good jumper but nothing larger. Another design consideration: The two batteries need to be as close as possible in size to two sub C NiMH batteries to fit in existing car space and not interfere with cross braces and body clearance.

Time is of the essence here. Like others have said, because of not other option, racers are being forced to link cars and T bars may go the way of the Dodo if us die hards do not have an alternative. I still like a T bar car for asphalt tracks and Brian and his team did a very good job at the IIC with their T bar car so T bar cars are still viable but only if we have a saddle pack to use.

Thank you in advance for considering production of a battery like this, Gavin!! You will have the entire market if you move forward.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Alot of good points and I just want to second or third many of them. As others have posted you may have waited too long, the indoor season is or has started in many areas and with no saddle pack availible racers are being forced to change chassis to accomidate the brick pack. You have the market to yourself right now, but that market is shrinking every day you delay getting these out. I have several t-bar cars and really hope you can deliver the goods. I do have an altenitive to nimh or lipo for my t-bar cars, but those cells are not approved and cannot be used everywhere.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Would it be easier/cheaper to have a brick case designed with a channel to clear the t-bar?

I too think that a channel might to possible but I've never taken apart a lipo so I dont know how possible that is.

One problem with raising the height of the pack is you will have to move the front shock mount up thus changing the handleing of the car. I had to raise the front of the shock on my BMI car when I went from nimh to lipo, not alot but even 1mm makes a change.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #70
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Do we have a market?
Well, I'm only one person but count me in!

Pretty sure there are guys out there who have both t-bar and link cars. These same guys would probably get their t-bar cars going again if they had the pack for it.
Old Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Gavin...keep in mind that a 1s saddle pack can still be used for in a 1/12th spring car chassis as well as 1/10th scale oval and GT. The oval guys may like the fact that they can position whereever they want by using the jumper while the packs can be taped together for a spring chassis

There is no reason why a racer who has to use a 1s pack would not consider the saddle pack design. Don't limit your approach to just 1/12th t-bar chassis's.

If the pack is designed correctly, the uses are enormous. IMO, the brick pack producers are limited.

SO HELL YEAH THERE'S A MARKET FOR YOUR DESIGN.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #72
Tech Elite

The more I think about...where can I find a contractor to produce LIPO cells.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #73
Regional Moderator

Quote:
The more I think about...where can I find a contractor to produce LIPO cells.
I'd start here:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...oduct_en&ssk=y
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #74
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Isn't the rule like take how many people say they will buy it and divide that by 3 and see if its still worth it.

If these packs do not perform as well as the brick packs forget it, at 1s it looks like every .01v makes a difference.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Isn't the rule like take how many people say they will buy it and divide that by 3 and see if its still worth it.

If these packs do not perform as well as the brick packs forget it, at 1s it looks like every .01v makes a difference.
Again, why not let the product come to the market before we start hating on it. I have a link car in front of me right now and I can't say that I know for a fact that I can get it as good as I can get a tbar car to go. If this pack is equal to near equal the performance of these brick packs than maybe the tbar gurus out here will make up any short comings with our tbar cars, at least we are wanting to give it a shot at least. Variety is a good thing.

Sorry to seem to pick on you Mike, I have read some good posts from you but some of us have been waiting for this product and I just don't see any reason yet to discourage it, or SpeedzoneUSA from making it.

BTW, from a sales stand point, I would rather create a new market than to enter a already crowded market.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote