R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #226
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Goodies arrived yesterday.

Race is Sunday, but I'm hoping to get a few practice laps tomorrow evening.

So far, here's what I'm thinking...

The good stuff:
  • It really exists! Really!
  • It weighs only 1/4 oz or so more than the ThunderPower 5000 I use in my link car. Considering the extra case and wire, I considered that pretty impressive. The overall weight of my 12R5.1 vs. my FF07 is within 5g or so. Nice!
  • It fit in the chassis without requiring any changes to the body height.
  • Chassis balanced out perfectly. (after hearing folks with Reedy 1s packs complain about the battery not being symmetrical in weight, I didn't take this for granted)
  • It came with some convenient little carbon blocks to tape/goo to the chassis to hold the pack in position. Very thoughtful touch!
  • Charged it up and it's ready to go.

The "if I ruled the world..." stuff:
  • Wire is thicker than necessary. Maybe 12ga? This is pretty much only going to be used in 1/12 scale, and is by definition only going to be a 3.7v application. 16ga would seem more appropriate. Seems to work fine for my Mod car and for everyone else I know locally. The other 1s packs I've seen have thick wire too, so this isn't totally unexpected or unusual. But the extra wires of the saddle pack make it even more difficult to figure out how to make it fit.
  • Wire is MUCH longer than necessary. Especially the saddle wires. I actually tried to rotate one pack so that the wire came out on the outboard side, using up the extra length. But there isn't enough clearance for the thick wire under the body on the outside edge. In the meantime, I Shoe-Goo'd the wires to the top of the battery to try to keep the arch low. Otherwise the arch of thick wire would just be sky-high, pushing on the body. I also had to make an odd loop in the SC plug wire to take up the room for the battery plug wire to run without too much binding. I might shorten the wires eventually, but since it is a brand new Lipo pack I decided to make it fit as-is for now and make sure it works OK before doing something potentially a bit risky.

So, other than futzing with the wire layout a bit (which is a pretty minor gripe) I'm excited to see how she runs!

Neal
Attached Thumbnails
Speedzone 3.7v Lipo 4800mAh 30C-img_1380.jpg  
SUV-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #227
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to beyondthepack

Has anyone actually raced with the split pack, and if so, what were the results?
beyondthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #228
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondthepack View Post
Has anyone actually raced with the split pack, and if so, what were the results?
I raced with my new saddle pack and my old T-bar car yesterday. The new battery strapped right in no problem and stayed solidly taped in all day. My fastest lap time wasn't any better than with the link car I've been running but, I turned one more lap total than my best with the link car. The car was very predictable and with a few changes with the car, I feel it will be even faster.

This is a great product and I'm sure you'll be hearing many more stories about this product soon.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #229
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just got home. Ran this weekend and finished 4th out of 23 in 1/12 Stock. Four guys were actually faster than me but one broke in the Main. Three of them have been the dominant local guys this year and the fourth is a CRC team driver who shows up occasionally. So considering this was my first "real" run in Stock this year, I'm pretty happy with the results.

My fastest lap was a ways off the guys ahead of me. I ran well against them last year, but I haven't been running Stock this year at all while they've been running it a lot since September. I'm only just beginning to figure out how to tune a Tekin RS for a Stock motor, which (as I found out) is HUGELY important. I was WAY off the pace to start with, and I only just started to figure things out in the last qual and the main. Started showing some speed in the Main, but still have work to do.

So obviously I can't say for sure until I do some more testing but it seems pretty clear to me that I need to learn more about the Tekin and probably can't blame the battery...

Neal
SUV-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #230
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondthepack View Post
I ran yesterday after being away from 1/12th for almost a full year. Coming from brushed and 4 cell, everything is new & different to me --> Lipo, Brushless 13.5, and Tekin RS speedo. Yesterday seemed to be a constant experiment. Saddle pack ran great all day, but I struggled to find my way with setup, gearing, tires, and speedo settings. I got closer all day and started to find some speed in the main. Had the quickest lap in the main by a little over a tenth, and am thinking that a couple more tenths are still out there to be had. All in all, the saddle packs seemed to perform extremely well.
jpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #231
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeck View Post
I ran yesterday after being away from 1/12th for almost a full year. Coming from brushed and 4 cell, everything is new & different to me --> Lipo, Brushless 13.5, and Tekin RS speedo. Yesterday seemed to be a constant experiment. Saddle pack ran great all day, but I struggled to find my way with setup, gearing, tires, and speedo settings. I got closer all day and started to find some speed in the main. Had the quickest lap in the main by a little over a tenth, and am thinking that a couple more tenths are still out there to be had. All in all, the saddle packs seemed to perform extremely well.
It was great seeing you back John! I can attest to his success with the split pack. It had me rethinking my very recent switch to a link car.

Early in the day, I couldn't believe it when I was lapping the infamous jpeck. John is one of the 12th scale hot shoes around here! Back in the brushed days he would have me by 2 laps.

I figured it out that jpeck was new to the Brushless stuff when Z and I were dialing in our Tekins and I looked over and saw him listening intently! I wish he hadn't , because it was me being lapped in the main. My son asked me why some guy was over looking at my car. I was pretty honored that jpeck was checking MY car out instead of the other way around.

I'm sure I blew my only chance of beating jpeck in a main. Knowing him, he'll find 5 tenths more in his new setup and I'll never have a chance at lapping him again.

I can vouch that jpeck was getting fast by the main with that split pack.
I was running a tekin with all the tricks on a GENXL CRC with a new Thunderpower. That split pack wasn't giving away anything in speed once John got his new combo worked out. I'm tempted to get one and pull my old rug rat out of retirement.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #232
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all, thanks for the feedback and comments. Great to see people having success and liking the packs so far. The only thing that really stands out is the wire length which will be addressed shortly. We wanted to release the packs with ample wire so that it could be configured in all 1/12 t-bar cars.

2017 Canadian National Champion//2016 ROAR National Champion//2016 Canadian National Champion//2012 ROAR National Champion//Region 5 Champion//2011 Cleveland Indoor Champions
Gavin Creado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #233
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

T-Bar guys ORDER this product...Awesome Experience

I will post photos when I have a chance. I wired onto a CEFX Phoenix without a problem and hardwired to Speedo...(sorry Gavin...not a big fan of the deans plug in a 1/12th)

Raced this past weekend at the January Jam in Enfield, CT. First time back to 1/12th scale in over a year. Basically applied a very small amount of shoe-goo to prevent the packs from moving and single piece of narrow strapping tape...no issues at all with the packs moving. Repeaked after each run was a pleasure...packs peak around 4.22v using a CE GFX with latest software...ran 17.5 with no issue on power output...

My issue was the fact that the Tekin speedo's made me look like I was running single speed compare to the two speed they had on the straights. Not racing in the past year was an eye-opener...I could not beleive the afterburner effect on the straights...

In any event...a great product would highly recommend.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #234
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to beyondthepack

yeh I have a CEFX Pheonix that''s calling for the split pack, cause I love that car.
beyondthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #235
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Creado View Post
Hi all, thanks for the feedback and comments. Great to see people having success and liking the packs so far. The only thing that really stands out is the wire length which will be addressed shortly. We wanted to release the packs with ample wire so that it could be configured in all 1/12 t-bar cars.
Why not have bullet plugs in both sides so that the user can make the wires whatever length they need to be? I personaly would not use a Dean's plug in a 1/12 scale car and want to use super fexible wire like the TQ 13 gauge.

Has anyone been able to check one of these on a Turbo 35 or something to compare voltage out put and IR to a 1s stick pack?
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #236
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Why not have bullet plugs in both sides so that the user can make the wires whatever length they need to be? I personaly would not use a Dean's plug in a 1/12 scale car and want to use super fexible wire like the TQ 13 gauge.

Has anyone been able to check one of these on a Turbo 35 or something to compare voltage out put and IR to a 1s stick pack?
Agreed with the bullet plugs...i think Gavin decided on the jumper wire to avoid user errors shorting out the packs and to reduce any voltage loss using a plug on the jumper wire.

I would check the IR is I knew how to do this?My packs peaked at 4.22v using a CE GFX35 with the latest software.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #237
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

These do not fit Slapmaster MS3 perfectly in case anyone was wondering, I am going to machine a 3mm spacer and possibly make it available to the public that will cure the issue. Here are a couple pics, pre spacer.

Thanks for making these available Gavin!

"Paragon, I choose YOU!"
Sixgears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #238
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano View Post
Agreed with the bullet plugs...i think Gavin decided on the jumper wire to avoid user errors shorting out the packs and to reduce any voltage loss using a plug on the jumper wire.

I would check the IR is I knew how to do this?My packs peaked at 4.22v using a CE GFX35 with the latest software.
All packs will peak at 4.22 as that is what the lipo cut off is set at in the charger and has no bearing on how a pack will perform. The only way to check is to cycle the pack and checking the discharge rate to see how well the pack holds a charge under load. If someone around here had one, I would be happy to cycle it on my Turbo 35 to get some numbers for comparison but everyone around here has converted to link cars.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #239
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What will you compare it too????? Does anyone else offer a 1S saddle pack???If you want to fight the battery war go back to a link car and have at it. What this man did for T-bar cars is great, none of the other manufactures did it. Don't start trying to take it down, the others will be doing it soon enough. But remember he did it first, all others will be copies.
Tim
Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #240
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Tim,

If your reply was to SteveL then I think you might have misread him. He's an oldschool racer, In fact he owned his own RC Business a few years ago. I think he is just curious about the two types of packs and how they compare. I know a few tbar guys in my club that converted over to the "brick" style have made similar comments about the Speedzone pack.

Gavin did good and we will remember he did it first.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote