R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
arcarle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 83
Default Wheelie Capability

Let me start by explaining my normal usage and some spec info.

I almost always bash (dirt, grass, concrete, asphalt) My Slash is stock except for aluminum rear stub axle housings, sidewinder 4600k esc and brushless motor, and an rpm rear shock tower. The gearing is the standard 18/86. As of now I run 3300mah nimh 6 cell packs. I have ordered 2x Zippy Flightmax 2s1p 20c 5000 mah lipos.

Set up as is with the batteries I have now I gps at 29 mph and mainly spin wheels on the take off from a dead stop. The front end lifts a little and the rear end squats but no lift off of the front wheels. Do you think when my ;ipos come in they will give sufficient punch to pull the front end up or will I have to change gearing?

Thanks alot ahead of time! I would especially like to hear from someone with a similar set up that does pull wheelies.
arcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Trips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 360 Speedway
Posts: 2,251
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Since you metioon that you're spinning the rear wheels when you punch it, you are not likely to see wheelies by changing to LiPO. The two things that produce wheelies are having enough power and rear grip. Since you are spinning the rear wheels now, you need more rear grip. If you get to the point where you have enough rear grip to NOT be able to spin the rears when you punch it, you'll either be doing wheelies, or then you'll need more power.
__________________
MARSHAL!!
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Chances are your very under geared for your motor as well, I'm not sure how big of a pinion you can fit, but I'd start going up in gearing and you should see more overall speed and acceleration. As far as wheelies go, tape your 6 cell pack to the rear bumper when your lipo comes in and you'll wheelie the whole block
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice
 
arcarle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Since you metioon that you're spinning the rear wheels when you punch it, you are not likely to see wheelies by changing to LiPO. The two things that produce wheelies are having enough power and rear grip. Since you are spinning the rear wheels now, you need more rear grip. If you get to the point where you have enough rear grip to NOT be able to spin the rears when you punch it, you'll either be doing wheelies, or then you'll need more power.
Good point. DUH me lol. I am spinning quite a bit. I guess some new tires are in order. Or maybe warmer days comin soon will warm the surface up a bit and traction will be better. I guess we will see. Thanks for your help today Mr. Trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Chances are your very under geared for your motor as well, I'm not sure how big of a pinion you can fit, but I'd start going up in gearing and you should see more overall speed and acceleration. As far as wheelies go, tape your 6 cell pack to the rear bumper when your lipo comes in and you'll wheelie the whole block
I have been thinking about trying the 23 tooth pinion. Just havent done it yet.
But since Im spinning wheels as is I think I'll work on my traction trouble before trying gearing.


Thanks guys.
arcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Drifting101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Posts: 2,199
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

The stock slash tires suck, get some 1/8th buggy tires with little knobs. Go over to the slash thread in the elec offroad section and ask what gearing is and what rims/hubs would be best
__________________
::Mi4::17.5::::::M03R::HW 3000kv::::::T4::7.5::::::HB Cyclone D4::5.5::

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice
 
arcarle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting101 View Post
The stock slash tires suck, get some 1/8th buggy tires with little knobs. Go over to the slash thread in the elec offroad section and ask what gearing is and what rims/hubs would be best
I was lookin into gettin a set of switch tires with some epic bead locks.
arcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SAVAGE - SS, .25, .21 Official Thread! Horatio Monster Trucks 11167 05-15-2017 09:40 PM
1/18 Scale - BRP, HPI Micro ozone Singapore R/C Racers 4034 09-03-2009 02:02 PM
Wheelie truck! ordinaryzam Malaysian R/C Racers 137 03-11-2009 05:58 PM
Cheapest decent monster truck tedb43o2o3 Monster Trucks 16 02-16-2009 10:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:09 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net