R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Any advice?

Good day. I want to get some opinions so please feel free.
I have experience with Nitro,but Im interested in getting involved with on road electrics. I am looking for something fast. What do you think about this combo? I can get my hands on a HPI sprint 2 for a good price (without electrics) and Im thinking about using an Associated X11 4.0T/Sphere Comp TC Spec combo. What are you opinions. Will it work, be fast, what kind of run time to expect, batteries to use etc. Please excuse me if what I ask seems stupid. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
LeviS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Tech Elite

If you'er going to be drifting with the HPI Sprint 2, It should be fine. But it's not a good car for touring. It's fragile, especially most of the components on the arms. They'er prone to brake quite easily. If you'er looking for a good car at a good price, like to the Tamiya TA05, Associated TC5 or XRay T207'. To name a few.

I'm not an LRP fan, so I won't put my two cents in. But if you can get your hands on an SMC 5000mah 40c or thunderpower 5000mah 40c, do so. The higher C rating will give you a lot of punch in mod racing.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Ok, so you are not a fan of the LRP but please fell free to input your 2 cents. I heard what you said about the chassis. If you dont advice the LRP combo what motor/esc combo would you advise. Please keep in mind that I am a nitro guy so speed is a significant factor.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As I don't race modified im not too sure what the more solid motors are, but I can suggest an ESC - the Tekin RS Pro is a great little bit of kit and can be updated with your PC via the must have hotwire. check the thread out.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-sensored.html

www.brccc.org
myan racing (coming soon)
myan_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Foxx is right when it come to a chassis. Get something good and save yourself a lot of hassle. Trust me.

If you're looking for something newer you've got plenty of options when it comes to belt cars. If you're at a toss up as far as which to go with. See what your LHS are stocking a lot of parts for. Its a lot easier to drive to get parts than have to wait days for anything to show up. Also a car that others are using at the local track will be helpful when you need setup advice.
RC-DriftNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Well, sence you asked. The Tekin RS Pro is made to handle Mod, so I seconded this suggestions. As for the motor, the Trinity Duo 4.5 brushless, or Novak 4.5 SS. Both are good strong motors. I personaly use Novak motors, because I've never had a problem, so no reason to change.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thank you all very much for your adviced, it is not going to waste and is very much appreciated. As for the HPI sprint 2 chassis, is the issue just the physical strength or are there other issues like it not being a properly balanced chassis etc.? The thing is I live in Trinidad (Caribbean) and a hobby shop is sort of scarce (only 2), nitro options is relatively wide but as far as electrics, not too much, thats is why I was trying to make the sprint 2 work, but if you insist it is a wast of time I wont bother. Other than that, all my electric parts I would have to bring in from the US.
Please keep your opinions comiing. Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviS View Post
Thank you all very much for your adviced, it is not going to waste and is very much appreciated. As for the HPI sprint 2 chassis, is the issue just the physical strength or are there other issues like it not being a properly balanced chassis etc.? The thing is I live in Trinidad (Caribbean) and a hobby shop is sort of scarce (only 2), nitro options is relatively wide but as far as electrics, not too much, thats is why I was trying to make the sprint 2 work, but if you insist it is a wast of time I wont bother. Other than that, all my electric parts I would have to bring in from the US.
Please keep your opinions comiing. Thanks
The sprint2 is OK, but there are far better chassis out there.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
Tech Elite

I didn't say it was a waste, I said it was fragile. It's a car made to drift, but if you can get to work for touring, then more power to you. Either you'll have to keep a lot of spare parts for the A-arms, or find stronger A-arms that can take the punishment. You should ask what your hobby shop can order, or look around online. before you commit yourself to a car.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Again, I thank you all for your time. So putting the chassis aside for a while, what electronics (motor, esc, and battery) should i use to make my car able to compete with the nitros?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Read some of the posts above.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Ok, so the tekin RS pro is very interesting. I am also interested in the Trinity 4.5. Is there a limitation with respect to voltage and current of the motor or does this limitation only apply to the speed control. Again, please forgive me if my questions seem obvious. And also, if the limitation applies to the motor what is it for the Trinity Duo 4.5?