R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Help for my first LIPO plz .

Hi everyone ,

I want to get into lipo but i dont know what to get. I will be running my LIPO with a LRP TC spec comp ESC and a LRP X12 6.5 turn .
I would like to get a good lipo that will last about 10 mins without damaging it as i have heard that the LRP comp esc doesnt cut off the LIPO at 6v so i dont wont to get my pack below 6v at only 5 mins of practise .
I thought of getting 2 trackpower 4900 or the 5400 one .
I would like to get as much runtime as possible without getting below 6v .
Any recomandation on any of these packs :
http://brca.org/BRCA/elecboard/news/...%20List%20.pdf

Thanks in advance .
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Tech Regular

try the new trinity IP 5000. It has better numbers than the trackpowers (i own both). Judging by your name you are driving cyclone. The cyclone is one of only a few cars whose upper deck is high enough for the battery to slide under, unlike the RDX you have to have the battery hanging off held in with aftermarket thingy. This is one advantage of the cyclone, u can use bigger batterys and keep the weight closer to the center of the chassis

HB Cyclone Moore Speed WCE Edition - HB/BMI Cyclone(foam)
Team Magic G4RS pwered by EB mods and O.S. engines
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mike View Post
try the new trinity IP 5000. It has better numbers than the trackpowers (i own both). Judging by your name you are driving cyclone. The cyclone is one of only a few cars whose upper deck is high enough for the battery to slide under, unlike the RDX you have to have the battery hanging off held in with aftermarket thingy. This is one advantage of the cyclone, u can use bigger batterys and keep the weight closer to the center of the chassis
Yes you got it right , i do run a cyclone , i will search for the trinity but im looking at a litle cheap battery like the trackpower wich is 66 but i will look for the batt .
Will it give me a 10min runtime without going below 6v ?
What about the trackpower , will it give me 10 min runtime or more without going below 6v ?
As you own them both thats why i ask .
Im trying to get as much runtime possible but without going below 6v .
Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you using this for parking lot racing or club racing? A motor that low is going to use a lot more mAh than a less powerful motor. Also, running your lipo even as low as 7.4 for racing, you'll see a significant loss in performance. So the larger capacity you can get, the better. Dont try to go "cheap" when it comes to batteries. Go with a well known brand, and go with higher mAh. A 6.5 motor? Are you running mod? You'll benefit more with a higher C rating battery. Remember that whatever you get make sure it will fit under your top deck.
RC-DriftNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The things that will help with run time with your setup - highest capacity you can find that will fit, highest continuous C rating (from manufacturer whose reputable so the rating has some basis), and buy quality lipo, don't cheap out; if you do you'll regret it.

If you buy an underperforming lipo, you'll wind up with less run time and your lipo will run hot which will shorten its life.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

hey why not get a novak smart stop when you get your lipos. so then you wont have to worry about your ceels going below 6v.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPGM8
Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

HTML Code:
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=cs&pn=ASC0709
get this one...if you are spec rating and the only thing monitored is motor turn and tire...the battery can become an advantage

the thing to look at with lipo is the "C" rating or how much current the battery can discharge over a specific interval right now 35C is the high performance norm and reedy is about one of the best.

they are also releasing EFRA spec 35C cells as well for European spec stuff... different sized hard shell and what not...

hope this helps...ive read online at other places that distributors like stormer and tower will have them march 19th but that's only what i've read....
RCRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you running on modified. I would not recommend TrekPower 4900. I had horrible experience. The batt lose punch, check it heats up and slightly buldging. It was proven 20C - 25C not able to handle huge current draw for 4.5 Turn brushless.

If I were to charge it surely gonna explode. To compare that with Team Orion 3800mAH 30C. They are very good and reliable. I am happy that they live up to customer expectation.

One day I accidently solder a dean reverse polarity. What happened was the Team Orion battery has a fuse which suppress the large current draw. My LRP TC ESC did not get burned down.

What I do was I open the battery. Cut off the burned part & unsoldered it. Pull out the coil from the battery to the +ve terminal. Solder it and everything works fine.
Toh WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Hi ,

I thought of this LIPO , i have seen quite alot of people running it at my club and its got a high 35C and its 5000mah , what would you guys say about this one ?
http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=4257
And if i get this one , how many minutes of runtime will i get on a medium track with a 6.5 , just an aprox time .