R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Where are 12th scales made?

I was wondering were crc is made? I sent them a e-mail but they did not respond. Are they made in the US? Also is it true that associated is now made in china?
csabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to RC_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by csabo View Post
I was wondering were crc is made? I sent them a e-mail but they did not respond. Are they made in the US? Also is it true that associated is now made in china?
Yes, CRC is based in NY, and they are made in the U.S. As far as Associated, a large majority of their products are now made in China after the Thunder Tiger buyout. You can really tell the quality of the product made in China seems to be lower than when they were produced in the U.S.
RC_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks. I know i can tell lower quality of almost anything that is made in china. I am trying to avoid that.
csabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Tech Regular

If your trying to avoid 1/12th scales either made in china or that have parts that come from china your going to have a hard time. Only a few US based companies would fall in that category like Speedmerchant and BMI. As far as European manufacturers I believe the Corally, Serpent, Xray and Hot Bodies cars do not use any China manufactured parts in their kits, but I dont know that for fact, just assuming.
Donny Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Lia View Post
If your trying to avoid 1/12th scales either made in china or that have parts that come from china your going to have a hard time. Only a few US based companies would fall in that category like Speedmerchant and BMI. As far as European manufacturers I believe the Corally, Serpent, Xray and Hot Bodies cars do not use any China manufactured parts in their kits, but I dont know that for fact, just assuming.
I know Xray denotes the country of origin for all parts they sell directly on the package.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Serpent is largely made in China now. Their quality seems to be much better than most Chinese products though.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks. I know i can tell lower quality of almost anything that is made in china. I am trying to avoid that.
A 12R5 is bagged and boxed in China but all carbon fiber parts are made in the U.S. I would not let the country of origin deter you from considering a great car like the 12R5.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fpart

I had a 12r5 and some of the parts are metric now. Not really an indicator but it was funny with a car that has a mix of SAE and metric. But I guess corally and european cars are the same.
fpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #9

we walk on souls that are made in china already. bout as silly as saying i refuse to buy anything nike b/c of their sweatshop tactics...

...oh wait i do hate nike. eh to each his own.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks. I know i can tell lower quality of almost anything that is made in china.
Seriously?

Where something is made has NOTHING to do with it's final quality. The quality of the item is indirectly proportionate to the company that spec'd the product. And how much they were told to make it for. At that point you can't blame the machinist, you blame the manufacturer.

What you should be curious about is what RC company has the highest standards and isn't going to get a part made just because it's cheap.

Some of the WORST machine work I've seen "recently" (last 4 weeks) was done here in the USA. I've seen good and "marginal" work come from every country.

It's up to the company who's vehicles you like, to do a good job of spec'ing the parts and getting them manufactured in a quality fashion. Where it's made is of little concern (relative to quaility).

Where was your TV made? Phone? watch? etc...etc...etc...

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
Seriously?

Where something is made has NOTHING to do with it's final quality. The quality of the item is indirectly proportionate to the company that spec'd the product. And how much they were told to make it for. At that point you can't blame the machinist, you blame the manufacturer.

What you should be curious about is what RC company has the highest standards and isn't going to get a part made just because it's cheap.

Some of the WORST machine work I've seen "recently" (last 4 weeks) was done here in the USA. I've seen good and "marginal" work come from every country.

It's up to the company who's vehicles you like, to do a good job of spec'ing the parts and getting them manufactured in a quality fashion. Where it's made is of little concern (relative to quaility).

Where was your TV made? Phone? watch? etc...etc...etc...
+1 - Absolutely, it's all about quality control and holding people to what they are contracted to deliver. It doesn't matter where it's from.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
Tech Regular

I was simply stating my opinion on AE quality, which in my opinion has gone down a bit since being purchased by TT. I have owned many AE cars in the past, and when I purchased my TC5 it seemed to me the overall quality/fit/finish of products was less than they have been in the past. That is just my opinion though. I agree that regardless of where something is made, quality is ultimately up to the mfr and the specs/tolerances they hold. That's my $.02.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Well said Stormer.

Country of origin has nothing to do with quality, that is up to the manufacturers specs, which vary greatly from company to company.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy View Post
Well said Stormer.

Country of origin has nothing to do with quality, that is up to the manufacturers specs, which vary greatly from company to company.
BUT - it does matter where your money goes with the current state of the economy, China or USA...

If you have a choice, and are still happy with the part, I would prefer purchasing products manufactured in your home country, and by people that permanently live in that country.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
BUT - it does matter where your money goes with the current state of the economy, China or USA...

If you have a choice, and are still happy with the part, I would prefer purchasing products manufactured in your home country, and by people that permanently live in that country.
Ditto. I try and buy as much as possible that is USA made, even if it costs more.