Search

Question about Spektrum DX3R

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Question about Spektrum DX3R

Spektrum DX3R

Does anyone know how to slow down the speed of the steering servo in this radio.... or if it even has that option ?

I am thumbing through the manual and dont see that option... whereas i know other people that have different radios with that option

thanks in advance for any help
Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you can increase the exponential to decreases the steering sensitivity around neutral the higher the number the slower it reacts.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LogicBytes
you can increase the exponential to decreases the steering sensitivity around neutral the higher the number the slower it reacts.
Ok.. I thought that I could do that... but doesnt that make it super sensitive on the other side of the steering spektrum. meaning slow when i barely turn the wheel, but when i get past a certain point.. it will be super sensitive?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nope, can not slow down servo speed. Only expo.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Personally I don't adjust servo speed...speed doesn't make a car steer faster or slower, it makes it more or less accurate and responsive to your inputs. The brain gets used to the delay between when you make an input and when the car does it so it takes some getting used to when that time is shortened.

Anyway from what I read in the manual it doesn't have a servo speed adjustment per say...but you can change the frame rate to slow down the response.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

bluephi1914- It sounds like you may have a setup issue rather than a servo that's too fast. Most top drivers do not tune their radio to de-sensitize steering; they change setup on the car. You may want to consider car adjustments to cure your steering problem.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

As stated above try turning down the frame rate on the TX, which will in turn slow down the response time to the servo. I found a definite increase in response time when moving from the Spektrum pro system. 5.5 fastest< 16.5 slowest. HTH's.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think slowing down response time will do it. The servo will still turn as fast as it does, it just slows down the response time from when you turn the wheel, to when the car turns.... Or more like.... there will be more of a delay. If you want that delay... just play with expo. But once again, you can not adjust servo speed.

What effect are you trying to get?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Play with framerate before EXPO, the rest of the steering throw will not be linear when using EXPO.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Larry Brown
bluephi1914- It sounds like you may have a setup issue rather than a servo that's too fast. Most top drivers do not tune their radio to de-sensitize steering; they change setup on the car. You may want to consider car adjustments to cure your steering problem.
I actually let a two of the top drivers at my track drive it and they say the car is fine (setup wise)... They said it should be fast and very responsive. I believe they told me that i need to catch up with the car.

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
I don't think slowing down response time will do it. The servo will still turn as fast as it does, it just slows down the response time from when you turn the wheel, to when the car turns.... Or more like.... there will be more of a delay. If you want that delay... just play with expo. But once again, you can not adjust servo speed.

For me as a Newer driver... I was just wanting to slow it down until i was able to master the art or steering and driving the car a little better. dont get me wrong I can get around the track.. but at times its a struggle for me to consistantly do it and i was thinking if i were able to slow the servo down it would be a little easier to control... going into the turns.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Using a little bit of expo, say 10% with numb turn in a bit but not loose overal steering, it's not enough to make the car feel weird, I found that it took over 20% on my radio to have noticeable "shift" in steering response with expo, it's a 3pk though so the curves might be slightly different.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You can buy servo speed reducers that go between the receiver and servo. A good hobby shop will have one or know where to get one.

I find the BEST way to slow down the servo is to move your hand slower on the steering wheel. Works with ANY radio and it'll make you a better driver.

OF course, if you STILL feel that 100$ digital servo is too fast, I'd be happy to trade you a $18 one that will be nice and slow...
Old 03-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

A cheap lower end servo might be the best bet... Wonder if a slower normal analog servo can couple to Spektrum receiver?

Old 03-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JimmyMac

While they do different things the effect would be the same...a slow servo affects the car the same as a delay in response. Either way you have to start your turn a little bit sooner then with a fast servo or less delay.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
While they do different things the effect would be the same...a slow servo affects the car the same as a delay in response. Either way you have to start your turn a little bit sooner then with a fast servo or less delay.
Somewhat, but if you turn suddenly in the opposite direction, when the servo gets the signal, it will respond very fast in the opposite direction rather than slowly turning in the opposite direction. So, yes, there may be a "delayed" initial turning response, the servo will still have a weird "fast" steering effect on opposite lock. I guess it will feel like expo setting with slow initial turn with fast turn at max throw.