R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2003, 07:28 AM   #31
Tech Elite

After some more work on the Yok SD, I felt I had a better chance at 'nursing' it through the next round of the championship without reliability problems. First, the driveshafts were machined where the barrel goes through the bone of the CVD to give a clearance fit. For some reason, these were friction welding themselves together during racing conditions! Next, the clearance holes were polished to give a super smooth action.

I decided I didn't like the CVD pins being held in by a grub screw only - the driveshafts spin at a hell of a rate and as there are no 'flats' machined onto the pins, they can slip out during use causing drive failure. AND severe hub carrier damage!! - one of mine was nearly cut in half by the pin, before it finally jammed The solution is cheap and easy though - heat shrink tubing cut to 3mm slipped over the axle to hold the pin in place in addition to the grub screw. It works great!

The steering arms were replaced for alloy items. The plastic arms work, but they are too fragile. Fast Trax MR4 alloy items are a direct fit and are in plentiful supply.

The Ackerman with the new arms is slightly reduced, so I decided to chamfer the edges of the C Carrier, which allows a little more throw for the inside wheel effectively increasing the Akerman angle.

Now onto the 4th round of the championship - could I improve on my last week's qualifying shambles?!! Well, the Peak Hellfire was skimmed and bolted straight back in. During the 3 rounds of qualifying I improved in each one driving consistently and obtaining a gap of just .5 of a second between my Average lap and my Fastest lap!! Fastest = 12.080 Average 12.545
The car felt great and didn't let me down this time.

I qualified 3rd for the A final!! The Peak Hellfire provided loads of punch and top speed and I was well on the pace during the A using Demon matched GP 3300's. However, I kept clear of the ensuing 1st lap pile up and pulled away by nearly a lap. I just switched on cruise control and watched as the chasing pack battled for 2nd place I went on to take a comfortable win against numerous sponsored drivers

Next test will be a fairly large regional meeting. It bodes well that most of the A finalist 'candidates' were at the meeting just gone!!! Fingers crossed.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:02 AM   #32
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What do you gear your Hellfire at in your yoke.I am gearing my Monster at 100/30 right now.....you go up or down a tooth or more?
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:23 AM   #33
Tech Elite

I run my Hellfire on 21/70 (48dp) in the Yok SD. That's an overall ratio of 1:7.84. This is indoors on Carpet on a tight track. The comm has virtually no discolouration after the last meeting, despite being one of the fastest cars in a straight line.

Awesome.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:28 AM   #34
Suspended

Thats about where my yoke is geared with a monster...cool!Thanks!
Old 12-08-2003, 09:44 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Well how about that!!

Do you run a Yok SD as well?
Old 12-08-2003, 10:01 AM   #36
Suspended

yup sd !nice car!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Yeh, the SD is pretty nice. It certainly looks the business. It's taken me quite a bit of effort to get it to match my TC3's pace, but I'm there now (I think).

It seems an easier car to drive - slightly more stable. But it has been a little fragile too. The plastic parts suck! Thank god most of it is either carbon or alloy/titanium

The Yok SD is probably a better outdoor car than indoor. Yokomo need to sort out the plastic mouldings pronto - at present they just aren't right.

How has your's been?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #38
Suspended

Actually I have been running on carpet with the stock plastic and have had no problems as of yet.Unfortunately people have had issues with it breaking especially chubs and knuckles but I havent yet.Front arms is what I have broken. 1 to be exact.I have ran the car for 2 months so far and that about it for me in regards to breaking.Going to the graphite parts is usually not the solution for breakage but you never know sometimes.The plastic usually is stronger but thats not what I am hearing in the case of the sd.So I have got to get me some carbon bits for the car.On carpet,the SD has proved to be among the fastest here in California.Tc3 is still really quick out of the box.But hey its 4 years old already so they have had it figured out for awhile.The sd is still new and the Japanese dont usually carpet race so we are on our own in finding out awsome setups.I have an awsome setup on my car right now.Fast as fast can be.Just need a little more skill to keep up with the factory boys here at my track.Pretty close though! But if there were a car I would dump my sd for it would only be a TC3.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:27 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Well, I've always considered myself a very cautious driver. I gain my times by driving consistently, not by blowing everyone elses lap times away.

For example, with my TC3 the only part I broke in 2 seasons of indoor racing was a rear shock tower - only because a marshal stepped on my car

Since November 2nd, I've broken the following Yok SD parts:

1 Wishbone (rear)

1 C Carrier

1 Rear Hub Carrier

In addition, the following failures:

1 front driveshaft siezed

1 rear driveshaft siezed

1 CVD pin

When you compare the standard plastic with say a Schumacher, it doesn't seem to be reinforced to the same degree. To break a Mission, you really have to have a 'big off'. But then the plastic used by Schuies is glass reinforced nylon. When I broke the wishbone on my Yok SD, it was slightest of glancing taps off a piece of track edging. The C hub appeared to fail without me hitting anything - just because of vibration caused by the seized driveshaft.

I reckon you're right regarding the setups on the yok though. Given a little more time, Yokomo will have wicked setups for their car. In the meantime, us racing folk have to figure it out using our best judgement and also trial and error.