R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2003, 03:03 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

ive beat mod foam guys with a monster motor and rubber tires...hehe...maybe it was luck who knows....id never buy anything on the market right now besides a monster that is stockuntil the newer stuff comes out again
Old 11-25-2003, 04:05 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

Monster Baby...... on anything....... Anywhere!!

It's that simple

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:14 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Last edited by ottoman; 11-26-2003 at 10:57 PM.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:47 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Ottoman.....ive never seen u beat anyone either.....U have your son do it for you
Old 11-26-2003, 08:25 AM   #20
Tech Adept

I ran my CORE stocker for the first time last night in 12th scale with cut 767's and Orion 135 deg springs...I liked it very much. Bonus part was that it did not get mushy when it warmed up like my Monster does.
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:55 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think that to go along with this "Which is the best stock motor" discussion you should also have a a which is the best automobile...the Ford F150, or the Honda Accord discussion...

At the end of the day they'll both get you from point A to point B....but they have a different manner and different capabilities on how that do it!

Without knowing what track layout or rc platform you're goign to use the motors for, is there any way to really know what will work best????
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:14 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Windsor guy:

Yeh, fair point. Obviously, what works in a pan car on a large track won't work in a TC3 on a tight track and vice versa

Fortunately, most of the guys responding are sensible enough to state what sort of tracks the motors do and don't work on. From what I've gathered, most of the responses are from people who race 190mm touring cars.

Fatdoggy:

the MVP shares the same arm as the core. The latest generation Core motors have better magnets and as far as I'm aware out-rev the MVP by some margin. For example, my newest Orion Core revs out at 29340rpm with rated max power of 120 watts @ 7.5v off the shelf.

However, the figures are rather mis-leading, because although the motor clearly has potential, getting it geared right is tricky - it runs far hotter than my MVP which appears to be the quicker motor for me around short/tight indoor circuits in a TC3.

I now have a Blueprinted Peak Hellfire - ratings are almost identical to my Orion, BUT efficiency appears better. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the figures given for this Peak motor were based on 7.2 NOT 7.5 heheheh;o) Looks promising. Hopefully I can get this motor to stay within a useable heat range!!

I can't comment on Monsters because I've never used one. To be honest, I think they're probably a little too RPM biased to run on the tight indoor circuits I race on over here during the winter season.

What do you Monster guys think? Gimme loads of torque!!
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:29 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
IMO the Mvp is the best all round motor out, even though it gets hot.

P.s. The Mvp *IS NOT* the Core, the Mvp has superior magnets and can reach higher rpm's then the Core.

... i'hv had better expereince with my core than the MVP, never really had any good runs with the MVP.
Mercury Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:02 PM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

It's all about matching the right equipment with the right driver, I have had alot of great runs with the Mvp and am happy with it.

Horatio - Are you sure about this? I've read for weeks now that the mvp has the strongest stock motor magnets. As for the arm being the same, there is alot more to a motor then just the arm.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:11 PM   #25

Post motors

i have run both the monster and mvp... monster is the way to go..... but......... will have to stay the core.... all the new stock motors are great.... but i have finally figured out the cores heat range.... lets face it, when you buy off the shelf, you will sometimes get that 1 motor thats crap...... then you try another brand and presto!!!!!!! you think you struck gold.........
pick up a couple of motors, then tweak them out yourself..... make sure you polish the arm, bushings...... teflon motor shims, hood alignment proper brush\spring....... and make sure the arm is not warped......
but the core does rock
muggleh8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:19 PM   #26
Tech Elite

P2K all the way.

Lots of torque, just gear UP UP UP. Does't get very hot. super smoot, and effecient. Best motor T ever made.(epic) Thay why the chameleon is tops. same can. The can design is awesome!
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 01:38 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy

Horatio - Are you sure about this? I've read for weeks now that the mvp has the strongest stock motor magnets. As for the arm being the same, there is alot more to a motor then just the arm.
I agree that there is more to motors than just the arm. The magnets on the MVP are very strong, but as far as I can tell the new G12 magnets on the Cores are a good match for the C4 magnets on the MVP.

Getting the motor shimmed right, the brush hoods alligned and also the bushes lined up all helps too if you happen to get a slightly dodgey motor.

Despite all this, my best runs to date have been with the MVP

Perhaps my new Peak motor will do the business - I'll soon be in a position to report my findings......
Old 11-26-2003, 01:39 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Default Re: motors

Quote:
Originally posted by muggleh8tr
i have run both the monster and mvp... monster is the way to go..... but......... will have to stay the core.... all the new stock motors are great.... but i have finally figured out the cores heat range.... lets face it, when you buy off the shelf, you will sometimes get that 1 motor thats crap...... then you try another brand and presto!!!!!!! you think you struck gold.........
pick up a couple of motors, then tweak them out yourself..... make sure you polish the arm, bushings...... teflon motor shims, hood alignment proper brush\spring....... and make sure the arm is not warped......
but the core does rock
So true!!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:18 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Post Peak Hellfire RS24 Blue Printed

Well guys, I've just run my Hellfire. It was a club round only, but there were some fast guys racing and the racing was very close.

Qualifying round 1

After setting the fastest lap, I retired after 10 laps with a seized front drive shaft on my Yok SD.

Round 2

Again on the pace, with good consistent 10.8 fastest lap - 11.4 average lap times but retired due to a seized rear driveshaft!! I was on for a 26 lapper.

Round 3

28 laps had just been achieved on a faultless run by a category F1 licensed sponsored driver with his Losi XXXs (running a hellfire BTW) Knowing that I had yet to put in a 5 minute run, I blitzed the track - putting in a string of 10.5 second laps, I was on for a fast 27 or possibly even a 28 lapper. Unfortunately I clipped a track marking and my Yok SD rear wishbone broke. Doh!

Qualifying last was hard to swallow, but I could at least take solice in the fact that I consistently put some of the fastest single laps of the meeting

We run a 'bump-up' system for the finals, so in theory I could still make the A final. With just 5 minutes between finals, I made sure I had plenty of packs handy. Cooling the car down quickly between runs was going to prove very challenging!

Much to the delight of my pals, I made it all the way from the F to the B final, using no less than 5 fans to cool things down between runs. Note that the motor used through out was the Peak Hellfire, which I only manged to clean once during the meeting (clean - NOT cut)!! However I was still fumbling with body clips when the warble sounded for the B, thus I put the car on the track 11 seconds behind every one else. I still manged a 27 lapper, just 4 seconds behind the race leader. Had I made the start of the race, I would have nabbed the win and thus got myself into the A.

Conclusion: The Peak Hellfire RS24 Blueprinted is an incredibly quick motor, it has very good mid-range torque and punch with a good top end speed. Not only this, it performed like this for 8 rounds - 5 of which were back to back with barely a break. Remarkable. I can safely say this is the best stock motor in my collection. All I need to do now is fix my Yok SD......

Last edited by Horatio; 12-08-2003 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:53 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to the shoe

Was testing at a race and my year+ peak hellfire and year+ old Mission was as fast on the straits lacked a little punch . Cant do with out that punch on short tracks! keep your line tight and dont hit ANYTHING and any motor named rules!!!!!!!
the shoe is offline   Reply With Quote