Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdhyams
Wow, so much to learn about these cars. I noticed on the directions it states to only use TOP Spur gears. Is there another option or part number from other companies?
There are probably more spurs that fit than ones that don't. Kimborough, PRS, APS, HPI, etc, etc. all work
Old 10-31-2011, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so I used a uPro Gear diff for the first time... and I found the diff action to be very light.. so much so that when I came back off the track I found that the outer (left) tyre was very worn.. (track is mostly right turns) - I can only assume that the outside wheel was unloaded and getting 100% of the power... and just spinning most of the way down the straights..

How do you guys know what is a good diff action/feel? I used to run Nitro and would run anywhere between 10k to 30-50k depending on grip levels..

I have rebuilt the diff - and now when I put the car up on the pit stand.. and if turn a single wheel.. it will also turn the front wheels.. whereas the uPro diff out of the packet was so light that it would not turn the front wheels.. and only turn it's opposite..

Thanks anthony.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthony_ling
so I used a uPro Gear diff for the first time... and I found the diff action to be very light.. so much so that when I came back off the track I found that the outer (left) tyre was very worn.. (track is mostly right turns) - I can only assume that the outside wheel was unloaded and getting 100% of the power... and just spinning most of the way down the straights..

How do you guys know what is a good diff action/feel? I used to run Nitro and would run anywhere between 10k to 30-50k depending on grip levels..

I have rebuilt the diff - and now when I put the car up on the pit stand.. and if turn a single wheel.. it will also turn the front wheels.. whereas the uPro diff out of the packet was so light that it would not turn the front wheels.. and only turn it's opposite..

Thanks anthony.
I use 2k in my gear diff works great. the front wheels shouldnt turn when you spin the diff.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Big Props to Larry Fairtrace for taking it down in 17.5 Touring car at "The Gates" Halloween classic. I believe there were more than 50 people in that class. Larry took TQ honors also. As if that wasnt enough he decided to pull out his 13.5 Boosted 1/12 scale and continue his Domination from IIC. He also Tq'ed and Won that class against some big names.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Congrats Larry!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerry P
Big Props to Larry Fairtrace for taking it down in 17.5 Touring car at "The Gates" Halloween classic. I believe there were more than 50 people in that class. Larry took TQ honors also. As if that wasnt enough he decided to pull out his 13.5 Boosted 1/12 scale and continue his Domination from IIC. He also Tq'ed and Won that class against some big names.
Originally Posted by munrath
Congrats Larry!!!
Thanks Guys.

Started off with the IIC setup on my Photon. By the end of the 2nd round I was back to the standard carpet setup I have been running at most races in the last 2 years.

I just fine tuned saucing from there and the car was awesome.

Competition was tight and Hanyes was relentless in the main. I made one tap and lost my lead and couldnt get it back. It was another in a series of good races between Haynes and I.

The Good ole Photon is still a very fast.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris
I use 2k in my gear diff works great. the front wheels shouldnt turn when you spin the diff.
Thanks for the advice... any ideas on the badly worn tyre?
I also have the rebuild kit for the uPro and in the instructions it recommends using diff oil not less than 20k - I'm not saying that your are wrong by using 2k or anything... just fyi -
Old 10-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
By the end of the 2nd round I was back to the standard carpet setup I have been running at most races in the last 2 years.
Is this available anywhere?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Is this available anywhere?
It is available at your local track.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stiltskin
It is available at your local track.
Thanks Tony.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I also have the rebuild kit for the uPro and in the instructions it recommends using diff oil not less than 20k - I'm not saying that your are wrong by using 2k or anything... just fyi -

Replace them. I have heard of people using the thick oil if they are using it in the front, but as for the rear 1k or 2k all day
Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Something is bound up, maybe you put shims back in the wrong order or you over tightened the case screws, I always had to run them backed out a little.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Larry,

Have you ever tried running a long wheelbase (F all shims back, R all shims forward?

I checked other manufactures cars and the Photon with the way most people set it up is 5mm shorter.

I extended it out and was about 2 tenths faster on average. Car was way easier to drive and more consistent. I can see the benefits of running a shorter wheelbase i was just wondering it you've given it a try, where you faster or slower?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Something is bound up, maybe you put shims back in the wrong order or you over tightened the case screws, I always had to run them backed out a little.
At the meeting I quickly put the trusty ball diff back in... and have taken the time to inspect the gear diff... yep it was incorrectly shimmed from the factory - the shim that is between the bearing and the plastic was actually on the otherside, above the o-ring. I have carefully rebuilt it and it is smooth - I have used 30k (and it's "almost" turning the front wheels, when it's off the ground and you rotate one of rear wheels) Looking forward to trying it again..

On the ball-diff - in 17.5 fixed how many runs should i have on it before a rebuild and/or replacing the diff balls/ thrust bearing balls.. -
Old 11-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I use 10k mugen oil in my upro... and as far as i knew thats what everyone used

Works well for me, though I have a spec-r on the way which I plan to run mod with (I hear they are cr@p though...I found that out about an hour 2 late)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.