T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car >

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J SiN
Sadly today was a shocker racing my photon killed 2 motors and broke a chassis where the lipo sits.

Just wondering what chassis to get the same one again? or a exotek?
I'm racing outdoor on tarmac.

thanks in advance for the help.
Grab the exotek such a good chassis thats what most of us in sydney are running now
In stock at topracing.net.au
Heres the link
http://www.topracing.net.au/shop/ind...&productId=819

Last edited by Groomie; 08-28-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yea the Exotek provide much better left/right transition, and neater installation of electrics
Old 08-28-2011, 03:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sadly today was a shocker racing my photon killed 2 motors and broke a chassis where the lipo sits.

As you would have seen today we have not got our exotec chassis car going as well as our car with the very worn out standard lipo chassis.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Adept

It was spot on today thats for sure.

Just really lost now with what to do
Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

can you tell me what changes i would see in handling going from a 3 hole 1.2 piston to a 3 hole 1.0 ? purchased my photon used w/ 1.2 installed.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bpalmer
can you tell me what changes i would see in handling going from a 3 hole 1.2 piston to a 3 hole 1.0 ? purchased my photon used w/ 1.2 installed.
Big holes require heavier oil
smaller holes allow for thinner oil

Smaller holes create more "pack"

I'd recommend really sticking with a common set of oil/piston that others have posted. Unless your running mod I'd recommend 42.5 losi and 1.2mm 3 hole. If your running mod you need whatever EJ has in his car!
Old 08-28-2011, 04:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by hanulec
Big holes require heavier oil
smaller holes allow for thinner oil

Smaller holes create more "pack"

I'd recommend really sticking with a common set of oil/piston that others have posted. Unless your running mod I'd recommend 42.5 losi and 1.2mm 3 hole. If your running mod you need whatever EJ has in his car!
ok, but what will that translate to when driving ..more grip and less twitchy ? or no difference in overall grip as all 4 are changed . but a tad less responsive ?
Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

ok, but what will that translate to when driving ..more grip and less twitchy ? or no difference in overall grip as all 4 are changed . but a tad less responsive ?

Given the same oil, smaller holes will make the car more responsive, especially off center. What do you want the car to do? In lower grip situations I like the bigger holes, I have been preferring either thicker oil or smaller holes when traction comes up, and its not necessarily faster on the lap counter, but it feels better.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Given the same oil, smaller holes will make the car more responsive, especially off center. What do you want the car to do? In lower grip situations I like the bigger holes, I have been preferring either thicker oil or smaller holes when traction comes up, and its not necessarily faster on the lap counter, but it feels better.
car just seems to be lacking in traction all around...not pushing or loose feels like more of a 4 wheel drift. if i feather the throttle through the corner it seems like it takes a long time for the car to come to me. it seems to be even worse if i try to power from apex to exit.... i am not always the smoothest driver so i need something that is easy to drive as i do not do well with a twitchy car.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

car just seems to be lacking in traction all around...not pushing or loose feels like more of a 4 wheel drift. if i feather the throttle through the corner it seems like it takes a long time for the car to come to me. it seems to be even worse if i try to power from apex to exit.... i am not always the smoothest driver so i need something that is easy to drive as i do not do well with a twitchy car.
What tires are you using, spec or your choice (#1 setup change, if you don't have the right tires it doesn't matter what you do to your car)? Are you using tire sauce, what kind? What type of surface are you racing on? What body are you using? Can you post your setup?

What your describing is not all setup.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I ran one week with the standard lipo chassis, and the next week with the same set up on the exotek. I'm new to the Photon, but I felt that the exotek was a touch more planted and stable, carried a touch more corner speed, and felt that I could drive a different (faster) line through the corners.

Once I changed set ups to the one Hanulec posted, that made it drive even better.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

I agree that there can be a lot of factors at work here. Assuming that perhaps you are on tires with low grip, or the track has no bite, the quickest changes to be made will be take out the inner 4 top deck screws, and if that helps, you can also run the wings loose with an o-ring under the screw , this will give more flex overall. I don't really like to do the wing mod, because if one side loosens up during a race, I find the car will start pulling to that side under power.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
What tires are you using, spec or your choice (#1 setup change, if you don't have the right tires it doesn't matter what you do to your car)? Are you using tire sauce, what kind? What type of surface are you racing on? What body are you using? Can you post your setup?

What your describing is not all setup.
asphalt track with grape juice and grape soda spray. spec tires are solaris med. or sweep 36.

frt springs are 306
rear are 289
2.0 neg camber frt and rear
1.0 toe out on frt
2.5 toe in on rear
1.2 3hole shock pistons with 42.5 losi oil
frt spool
stock rear diff set a little loose
the sweeps seemed a little better than the solaris mediums...i did try a set of solaris hard compound that seemed to be the best of the bunch. unable at this time to provide more setup info until tomorow.typically i clean the tires with simple green then after they are dry i put on a liberal coat of paragon ground effects
the body is a pf mazda 6
Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

asphalt track with grape juice and grape soda spray. spec tires are solaris med. or sweep 36.

frt springs are 306
rear are 289
2.0 neg camber frt and rear
1.0 toe out on frt
2.5 toe in on rear
1.2 3hole shock pistons with 42.5 losi oil
frt spool
stock rear diff set a little loose
the sweeps seemed a little better than the solaris mediums...i did try a set of solaris hard compound that seemed to be the best of the bunch. unable at this time to provide more setup info until tomorow.typically i clean the tires with simple green then after they are dry i put on a liberal coat of paragon ground effects
the body is a pf mazda 6
Your springs are probably too soft, I would start with 344/306. I also would not use paragon black, you need FX2, or preferably tire tweak. Clean the tires with buggy grip, let dry, then use tweak for 20 mins, wipe off whatever didn't dry before you hit the track.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

bpalmer,

We run on the same surface, somewhat smooth parking lot with sugar water and pop.

I think your setup may be a bit to soft, try the attached setup.

The car may be a little loose if you over drive the corner but learning to drive with lots of brakes into high speed corners I've found to be essential on low grip asphalt.

This is roughly the same setup i run on carpet, I just put the wing screws back in, run a stiffer front spring 367 or 393, and ~1.5deg frnt \ 2 deg rear camber.

Give this a shot and see if it works. Solaris is a great tire but after the 2 runs they drop off quit a bit on low bite asphalt. Using the paragon my help, we don't run any traction compound at our track so I'm not sure of the effect.

The other thing I've found to be odd at our track, softer tires work better. Track temps run ~130deg around 2nd qual into the mains. Harder tires seem to scallop were softer look great after every run. I'm currently using Muchmore 28's. I'm sure some of this can be fixed with setup but when you can't go out and practice for a whole day to find a setup it's hard.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.