Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm glad your car is getting better. I don't know how I helped you but If I did I'm glad it worked.

you still need .4?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
IMO the only problem with the original shocks is the bottom plastic piece in the seal. If you dont want to buy new shocks and can replace that with the delrin one ou should be alright.
+1 using the TOP delrin piece makes the shock MUCH better
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hana166
@L. Fairtrace

Trying to find that elusive 0.4s the very quick guys have, its clear that I needed a fresh approach both to set up and driving style

Was pondering the comments you made about thinking in terms of roll.

Thinking about roll, perhaps the car was rolling too much, too early in the corner, and pushing. So I fitted a thick bar to the front aiming to keep the car at optimum roll..and the high speed steering appeared, like magic. But it took away a lot of low speed steering. Maybe not enough roll due to slow/medium speed. I was able to compensate with ackermann, using the near hole in the steering block, insert 9 and 100% throw. With these changes the steering actually felt miles better than previously, really crisp but not twitchy. Most important it had similar response at high and low speed.

Much more actual steering than normally use but the bar seems to couteract it nicely it at low speed and assists at high speed

Stood up the rear shocks for stability into the sweeper and I can just chuck this thing in now without hardly lifting, carrying the speed, it holds its line and doesn't load up and snap into the tight infield. Wow

Tried a thick bar in the back to stabilise the exits, it was terrible, the car pushed for a couple of feet then oversteered. Guess the bar was holding the car flat then it was breaking away as soon as any real power was applied. I was amazed I could really feel the difference between a 1.2 and 1.4

So I just took the thing off altogether..and it steered totally consistent all the way out of the corner, just could not believe it, pure confidence

Think I'm on the right track now

Cheers Dude

I have also found that I am running a front bar almost all of the time, I think its mostly do to me not being as smooth as I could be and the bar helps the car not dump on that corner. The rear bar on the other hand I have had times where it made the car steer more and times when it makes the car push, rather strange, but I tend to try it on and off at least once a race day.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I'm glad your car is getting better. I don't know how I helped you but If I did I'm glad it worked.

you still need .4?

Nearer to .2 now

Sometimes just a few words is enough. I needed a jolt to get thinking in a new way. I've been knocking on the door for a while but.. I make the A main often but there fast guys are in a different class.

Its more than just technique. They set their cars in a particular way. They never look fast, but they really are. Some of them are within .3 every lap. Its alien

But the more linear, consistent and predictable the car gets the closer I can shave the apexes confidently

If you can drive the track super tight and flow with rhythm the time comes naturally
Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
I have also found that I am running a front bar almost all of the time, I think its mostly do to me not being as smooth as I could be and the bar helps the car not dump on that corner. The rear bar on the other hand I have had times where it made the car steer more and times when it makes the car push, rather strange, but I tend to try it on and off at least once a race day.
mmm interesting but I'm not sure its you..

If you go in too fast and the car pitches at the apex then there's too much low speed front end roll you come out slower because you have to wait until the car is settled again

With a stiffer bar and a more balanced car you can go in faster (use tyre slip angle) reach the point of optimum roll at the apex (where you need all the traction available for sidebite, at this point you're neither accelerating nor decelerating and the load is distributed evenly between F & R) and because the car is not pitched over to far and unsettled you can get on the gas earlier, and harder, and you already carried more speed into the corner in the first place

Rear bar for me made the car both steer more and push (!)depending on the diff setting.

I am beginning to think the car needs to be perfectly balanced on its side at the apex - (go in slower, out faster)

Come to think of it maybe you're right !

Well anyway just thinking out loud !
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

@Doug
Please keep in mind cefx and photon handling is not same
Old 09-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

When is this Photon coming back in stock? It's been on back order at amain for the longest time!!!???
Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by M3Armand
When is this Photon coming back in stock? It's been on back order at amain for the longest time!!!???
I just ordered mine from rcmushroom because I was tired of waiting
Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by avink007
I just ordered mine from rcmushroom because I was tired of waiting
that shows it a good car , and always on demand
i bet they cant make em quick enough ..

dont worry youll get yours soon , then youll think it was well worth the wait !! ..
Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by M3Armand
We now have kits in stock and filling orders. We're also getting a second batch of kits in a couple weeks.

Thanks,

EJ
Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

some parts of Photon available here...
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I often wonder if TOP are deliberately creating more demand than product, or if they are only a smaller company that does not have the tooling to stamp out more than what they currently produce.

Either way demand for the Photon seems to be growing of late, which is a good thing.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Top Photon one piece spur/pulley

Brandnew

one piece spur/pulley for the Top Photon (pictured below). It is made from black acetal, a strong general engineering plastic and being one piece, is 100% concentric, machined to a very high standard. It has 12 holes drilled through the spur part to make the component as light as possible. It is available in various tooth sizes in both 64dp and 48dp

Made in EU!!

AP1006488 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 88T
AP1006496 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 96T
AP10064100 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 100T
AP10064104 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 104T
AP10064106 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 106T
AP10064108 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 108T
AP10064110 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 64p - 110T
AP1004880 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 48p - 80T
AP1004884 Top Photon one piece spur/pulley 48p - 84T

http://kingrc.cc
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-top-photon-one-piece-spur-pulley-_-1.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-top-photon-one-piece-spur-pulley-_-2.jpg  
Old 09-03-2010, 04:12 AM
Tech Master

Costs 4xspurgear !
Pls make it a bit more affordable,stripping spur gear is not very hard especially on a car has that much flex...

Last edited by yokemad; 09-03-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bishop
I often wonder if TOP are deliberately creating more demand than product, or if they are only a smaller company that does not have the tooling to stamp out more than what they currently produce.

Either way demand for the Photon seems to be growing of late, which is a good thing.
These kind of shortages happen to the "BIG" boys too, Tamiya has the same thing with the TRF416. Supply is always outstripped by demand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.