T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car >

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 05-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by captain stacker
just incase this has not been asked before but

what is the difference b/n the int'l ltd edition kits purchased from US and overseas?
I know you're joking but looks like A Main is already on backorder!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Without seeming to be kicking a dead horse here, and i now realise that the intl ed comes with extra susp parts and both chassis plates... but as far as the actual kit is concerned, is there two versions of the Photon kit? rubber vs foam? and if so can anyone help me out and actually let me know the differences. Are all the molded peices of the same hardness??? is it just a different chassis and top deck??? differentials different??? no spool or one-way???
Old 05-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by $$$...
Without seeming to be kicking a dead horse here, and i now realise that the intl ed comes with extra susp parts and both chassis plates... but as far as the actual kit is concerned, is there two versions of the Photon kit? rubber vs foam? and if so can anyone help me out and actually let me know the differences. Are all the molded peices of the same hardness??? is it just a different chassis and top deck??? differentials different??? no spool or one-way???
Foam has a thicker chassis and top plate. Has the 3 point wings. Front differential, Front universals are aluminum. Front sway bar, heavy front and rear springs.

Rubber has thinner chassis and top plate. Has the 2 point wings. Front spool steel outdrives, and front steel universals. Front and rear sway bar. Lighter springs

Other than that the suspension parts are the same.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macdude
Foam has a thicker chassis and top plate. Has the 3 point wings. Front differential, Front universals are aluminum. Front sway bar, heavy front and rear springs.

Rubber has thinner chassis and top plate. Has the 2 point wings. Front spool steel outdrives, and front steel universals. Front and rear sway bar. Lighter springs

Other than that the suspension parts are the same.
Thanks mate, that's what I was after.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

New paint for my TOP cars for the Reedy.
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-my-body-002.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-my-body-003.jpg  
Old 05-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

any results on Top Gun race?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by $$$...
its only been confirmed that the US int'l ed kits come with extra suspension parts. Dont know about HK or anywhere else. But doesnt matter where you get the int'l ed kits, it will obviously come with 2 chassis's.

and yes amain have sold all their 12 kits or so in just 2 days.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Just trying to get some feedback from other Mod racers out there running the photon.

Myself and a few of the other TOP Australian drivers are struggling to get rid of understeer in the car. Is anyone else finding this a problem?

Just as an example on the weekend i was running kit set-up plus:

40wt oil all round
1.4 sway bars
Medium carbon (U-brace) in the rear
Middle ackermann position in the center, and rear on the steering blocks

The car seems to turn into the corner hard, but just understeers wide mid corner, and even more so on throttle. High speed steering is lacking also.

From what i gather on here, most of the o/s guys seem to be running close to kit set-up and everything is going well, but its not translating to our tracks out here.

Typically most of our tracks are low to medium grip by your standards.

Look forward to some feedback

Cheers

Robbie
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default steering issues

hi robbie

i guess u dont want my suggestion for the steering issue

graham
Old 05-17-2010, 04:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xray racer
Hey guys,

Just trying to get some feedback from other Mod racers out there running the photon.

Myself and a few of the other TOP Australian drivers are struggling to get rid of understeer in the car. Is anyone else finding this a problem?

Just as an example on the weekend i was running kit set-up plus:

40wt oil all round
1.4 sway bars
Medium carbon (U-brace) in the rear
Middle ackermann position in the center, and rear on the steering blocks

The car seems to turn into the corner hard, but just understeers wide mid corner, and even more so on throttle. High speed steering is lacking also.

From what i gather on here, most of the o/s guys seem to be running close to kit set-up and everything is going well, but its not translating to our tracks out here.

Typically most of our tracks are low to medium grip by your standards.

Look forward to some feedback

Cheers

Robbie
Hey Robbie,

In 10.5 I have same issues, although just made a couple of changes which seem promising - all seem to give more mid corner steering:

1. Sway bars, 1.4 front & 1.2 rear.
2. Radial ackerman 9mm, middle position in centre, forward on steering blocks
3. Shock position on tower - front 4, rear 3

Some anti-squat in the rear should give more steering on & off power.
Will try next time out.

Cheers

Alan
Old 05-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Robbie - I agree with you on low to medium grip tracks. I'm still looking for more. It's better with some of the changes I've made, but I'd like more.

Mark
Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It's hard to gauge what is going on when you only post like 4 things about your setup. If you post full setups I may be able to make some suggestions.

I found this weekend that at my local track I couldn't run ej's setup he posted. It really didnt work very well for me. It was considerably slower than my current setup for the track. I'm sure it had something to do with the asphalt type and traction levels because I hear his setup is really dialed at Norcal. This brings up a great point, that the setups we post may be great for one track and not another, dont be afraid to change and experiment with things to suit your track and driving style.

Also anyone with the old shocks be sure to check the inserts in the bottom of the shocks and also the orings. They may be binding and causing weird handling issues. This is super important.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Larry - I started with your setup that you used for the charity race and found that it would turn in great but then not steer through the middle of the corner. Traction was low to medium and the layout was tight/technical.

I changed the spacing at the rear arms from your FR(2.5) / RR (4) to FR (1) / RR (2.5) and it felt better. I also changed the rear camber shims to the following: 1.5 on the camber plate in the rear and 2mm on the rear hub. I then went to 40wt Losi oil front and rear and used the 306 springs on the front. The car seems to tranistion in the chicane better and give more steering in the middle but I felt like I could still use a little more high speed steering. The last change I made was to go to medium low in the rear with no anti-squat. It may be as simple as making a droop change or trying 6 degree blocks.

I know you're busy with the new job and all. Thanks for the support

Mark

Last edited by munrath; 05-17-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I was looking at the image on redrc.net. On the new LiPO chassis, is there a new servo mounting location that is closer to the edge of the chassis?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

what is the different in the new shock VS the old shock everything looks like to same in my new kit. The new shocks look just like the old shock with all the parts. Some help would be nice. I have 2 kits I must take a look at the 2nd kit to see the shocks. What did they change on the new shocks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.