Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car >

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 04-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, odpurple, will wait. Will be looking for help at Norcal and Speedworld, once I start racing again.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

I'm racing in Denver at the CCC, and on the way out I found out the new shocks came in. I had OD ship them to the track, and they are worth it. For that I gotta think OD. He puts up with my crazy last minute orders all the time. I really appreciate it.

As for the shocks, they are the best shocks I've ever had. So smooooth. Even a couple Tamiya guys made comments about how good they feel. Very nice pieces.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,
How do you know the difference between the old and the new?I think they both have the same part numbers.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

EJ stated a few pages back that the V.2 shocks have a derlin shaft guide that is white for the new shocks. And the shock body size is slightly larger(0.1mm) I belive.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grouchy
Hi,
How do you know the difference between the old and the new?I think they both have the same part numbers.
If you want to order the new shocks and be positive that you are getting the NEW ones, call TOP USA directly. OD is definitely "da man".
Old 04-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

OK I looked through this thread and missed which direction the axle pin holder goes on.... Can some one please help an old fart out?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P2
Wheel side so they can't slide off.
Opps found it....
Old 04-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys,
Are any of the changes or new parts aimed at giving the car more steering ? There's a few of us here in the UK running the car on asphalt and all the setup changes we make are to try and get more steering from the car as it seems that the rear of the car grips so much that it will push all the time.

Any advice appreciated.
Chris
Old 04-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Chris,

I also found that the USA setups don't work in the UK just massive understeer! I've got a setup on now that I'm VERY happy with, kep points are 344 Front springs with 324 Rear, 2.5 rear toe, and the roll centres and ackerman as suits you.

HTH, Chris.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Lack of steering in the Uk?

Ive had enough steering lately been tempted to stick it on ebay!

All serious though, where do you want the steering, and what setup are you running?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BagofSkill
Hey Chris,

I also found that the USA setups don't work in the UK just massive understeer! I've got a setup on now that I'm VERY happy with, kep points are 344 Front springs with 324 Rear, 2.5 rear toe, and the roll centres and ackerman as suits you.

HTH, Chris.
I'm running 2.5 rear toe, 400-500 cst oil, springs ranging from hpi blue up to pink/silver (and many other makes of springs too, tried the top 289's yesterday which were better than stiffer springs)

Originally Posted by Slick990
Lack of steering in the Uk?

Ive had enough steering lately been tempted to stick it on ebay!

All serious though, where do you want the steering, and what setup are you running?
It needs it everywhere, but mostly in the middle of the corner... it just seems to wash out...

running sorex 32's outdoors
Old 04-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

What shell you running?

Tried adding a shim to the FF mount to add a little arm sweep? I run about 0.5-1mm there.

Is the car just understeering out, or is the back end wanting to swap mid corner?

And lastly any chance you can get a setup sheet up, or written out and what track. Sorry for all the questions but gives us a better idea then.

The new lower weight really did not suit my car when i first run it but really coming toghether now and was very happy with the car round cotswold.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Slick990
What shell you running?

Tried adding a shim to the FF mount to add a little arm sweep? I run about 0.5-1mm there.

Is the car just understeering out, or is the back end wanting to swap mid corner?

And lastly any chance you can get a setup sheet up, or written out and what track. Sorry for all the questions but gives us a better idea then.

The new lower weight really did not suit my car when i first run it but really coming toghether now and was very happy with the car round cotswold.

Shell: Speed 6 (tried an LTC-R and it rotated too much coming out)
It's understeering out... i really have to wait for it before getting on the power..

I've got a setup sheet at home which was "ok" around aldershot, although needs more steering. Was at west london yesterday, although don't have a sheet for that just yet.
I'm at work at the moment, but will get one up tonight with exact details.

Front:
top shock position 3 (289 spring 400 cst much more oil)
lower shock position 2
Std wing on bulkheads
Ackerman insert 12, saver set so arms are parallel
Steering links in front hole on arms
-1.5 camber
0.5 toe out
medium low roll centre all round
1.4 roll bar

Rear:
top shock position 4 (289 spring 400 cst much more oil)
lower shock position (have tried all 3, but currently in hole 1, so flipped wishbone)
2.5 toe
-1.5 camber
1.2 roll bar
Std wing on bulkheads

Other:
Medium top deck, tried the kit one and the car felt lazy.

Like i say, the car isn't BAD at all, it just needs more steering, and most of the stuff we've done here has helped without losing rear traction, so that's a great thing !
Old 04-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by chris_dono
Shell: Speed 6 (tried an LTC-R and it rotated too much coming out)
It's understeering out... i really have to wait for it before getting on the power..

I've got a setup sheet at home which was "ok" around aldershot, although needs more steering. Was at west london yesterday, although don't have a sheet for that just yet.
I'm at work at the moment, but will get one up tonight with exact details.

Front:
top shock position 3 (289 spring 400 cst much more oil) Seems a very "light" spring for the front of the car, the top springs do have a tendancy to collapse over bumps which aldershot have quite a few and can make the car wash out...what piston?
lower shock position 2
Std wing on bulkheads
Ackerman insert 12, saver set so arms are parallel Seems quite alot there, ive got quite settled on middle and insert 10. Tried insert 9 on saturday and car was lazy
Steering links in front hole on arms
-1.5 camber
0.5 toe out
medium low roll centre all round
1.4 roll bar

Rear:
top shock position 4 (289 spring 400 cst much more oil) agian seems very soft
lower shock position (have tried all 3, but currently in hole 1, so flipped wishbone) havent used anything else but 2
2.5 toewhat shims do you use in the RF?
-1.5 camber
1.2 roll bar
Std wing on bulkheads

Other:
Medium top deck, tried the kit one and the car felt lazy. Ive tried both and dont mind which one i use

Like i say, the car isn't BAD at all, it just needs more steering, and most of the stuff we've done here has helped without losing rear traction, so that's a great thing !
Some things that might help you there.....i have a setup sheet i will write up later and you can have a look at that and see if it might point you in a direction. One last question, is this for prostock?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Addict

I tried stiffer springs and it just gave more understeer, settled on those (this was from west london, it was hpi silver all round at aldershot)

no shim in RF, just RR

a sheet would be great, especially for Cotswolds (I'm up there this weekend for the club meet hopefully) , but no this is in mod. working with a mate of mine, who IS running pro stock though, and we're both trying to find the same thing with the car.

I sound like I'm moaning about the car, but i'm not... even with this understeer, it's still a whole lot faster than my old xray

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.