T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 07-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Mikky,

You here 2??
Still waiting for you tax refund huh.
Same here.
Also can't wait till i have the funds for it and get my hands on one of those cars.
Hear only good things about it so far
Keep up the good work there TOP racing.

regards Roy

Originally Posted by mikky32
I don't have the Photon myself but a club member has it now and the car drives grate.
When I see te car go, its incredible stable and it roles great true the corner.

Josh you did a grate job. All the TOP critics are quit now and are only looking and don't dare to say any ting. Others are looking and making compliments about the car.
It's just fun to see them watch and don't dare to say any thing because they now the car is good, very good!!!
I think they want one to but don't dare to buy one because they were first talking like TOP was a cheap car and not a real car.

Thanks to you Josh I can laugh at them and I can't wait till I can buy my car.
Must wait till I get a letter from the tax that I may keep my money!!
When that's ok, I will buy a Photon.
Can't wait.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bender
Chris, what were you trying to achieve with the above set-up changes?

I debuted my car tonight in similar conditions (very low grip, very cold temps) and to be honest the car was absolute rubbish I was lapping miles away from a competative pace.

The car had a lot of off-power push, especially on the slow turns, but as soon as you got to the apex the car would then spin out. It was also very loose under throttle out of all low speed corners. Overall a very frustrating night and I'm not sure where to begin making changes
Kit setup or one of the Reedy setups? The kit springs are probably too hard for the conditions you're running in, but try flipping the front arms so you are using the outside hole to mount the shocks, and move to the middle ackerman setting. We were also lowering the front RC slightly (flip the eccentric mounts) to get a bit more steering
Old 07-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

waiting patiently for my 1st shipment of cars
Will run them the first time at the Nationals in August.

98% of feedback so far has been positive and that speaks volumes.
Josh, Vincent and co have really done a awesome job !!
Old 07-05-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I had my Photon running pretty well today the biggest change I made was to run half a mm of anti-dive at the front. This gave me some initial steer that I was lacking and settled the car down in the braking zones. I still need to find a bit more mid-to-exit steering but overall the car is very quick right now
Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bender
Chris, what were you trying to achieve with the above set-up changes?

I debuted my car tonight in similar conditions (very low grip, very cold temps) and to be honest the car was absolute rubbish I was lapping miles away from a competative pace.

The car had a lot of off-power push, especially on the slow turns, but as soon as you got to the apex the car would then spin out. It was also very loose under throttle out of all low speed corners. Overall a very frustrating night and I'm not sure where to begin making changes
Jason that's unlike you to be after MORE STEERING (just had to get that in )

Based on my own observations so far (also from running the Scythe - if somebody wants to provide more technical details then feel free to go for it!)

1. Reducing the spacer on the inside front link particularly helps low speed steering.

2. Reducing the spacer on the inside rear link helps with rear traction.

(I needed to do these together)

3. Standing up the shocks in the rear helps with corning traction.

So these changes might help you. Haven't tried the Reedy set ups yet, as I haven't had much time on the car. A couple of guys drove my car and commented on how stable it was but still had good cornering performance.

I'll contradict Craig by saying that I don't think the springs are too heavy - I used to run 22lb in the Scythe at the same track / conditions... 19lb / 17lb seems soft in comparison but works well for me...

If the above doesn't help then you could perhaps swap the springs around and run the stiffer spring on the back. Or drop the roll centres all around by flipping the inserts.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

True, I'm always after more steering (you can never have enough) but those who watched the car all said it looked like it had a lot of understeer.

I think a diff problem may have caused some of the issues. Although it felt very tight it was slipping on the track, and the tight feel might have caused the back to be loose in the slow speed turns. Wary of having the blades bottom into the t-nut, I initially only used 4 cone washers like this: ((((

But it looks like the t-nut was bottomed out on the outdrive before the diff was tight enough. I've rebuilt it now like this: )()()( and it feels a lot better, and doesn't slip.

I've now copied as much as possible of Craig's setup and I'm going to put on some softer springs too (17lb front, 15lb rear). The softer springs might only be needed on conditions like what I encountered last night.

I did move the rear shocks out on the tower and that was one change which worked. My next meeting is the Interclub at Brendale so we'll see how things go there.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

Make sure you have only put 8 balls in the thrust... The kit comes with 9, and if you happen to somehow fit all 9 in then the diff can behave as you describe. (I didn't make that mistake, but somebody else did...)
Old 07-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtveten
What online dealers are stocking parts & such for the new car?

Mark
Hi Mark
Have you drove the Photon yet..
NorCal Hobbies got spare part in stock..
Old 07-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

Well my photon is gonna be here on wednesday should have it built by the weekend to run.

After watching Fairtrace and Schreff running there cars it brought me outta retirement early.

Josh,EJ, and the rest of the top crew good job on this car guys it looks great and the key design stuff is well thought out.
the spool is the sickest lightweight spool i ever held in my hands
Old 07-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Hey Mikky,

You here 2??
Still waiting for you tax refund huh.
Same here.
Also can't wait till i have the funds for it and get my hands on one of those cars.
Hear only good things about it so far
Keep up the good work there TOP racing.

regards Roy
I can't wait.
Only one thing. I stop with 10,5T 5 cell class.
I go back one class. This will be next year 17,5T with 6cell or/and lipo.
I don't have the fun in the 10,5T class any more because i drive for fun.
I don't want to be kick't of the track each time.
Also we are testing a new class, the M-class. This is with the M-03, M-04 and M-05 chassis. the standard motor and stick packs. Just for fun. I won today the first race we hath with this class.

Greetings Emiel
Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DENNIS STORTI
Well my photon is gonna be here on wednesday should have it built by the weekend to run.

After watching Fairtrace and Schreff running there cars it brought me outta retirement early.

Josh,EJ, and the rest of the top crew good job on this car guys it looks great and the key design stuff is well thought out.
I was hoping that Larry and Schreff would post info on their first time running the Photon...

Maybe they will after the weekend...
Old 07-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

'm sure they will the car looks great
I know that if i didnt know they switched i would say the car looks as good as there losi ever did, and they just got the cars
Old 07-05-2009, 12:12 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DENNIS STORTI

And after racing against Fairtrace and Schreff you might be back in retirement.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

they have been whopping on me enough that dont hurt the no track 7 minutes from house is what made me retire

And Wyd u know the view is the same from your spot too lol
Old 07-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
I was hoping that Larry and Schreff would post info on their first time running the Photon...

Maybe they will after the weekend...
Actually Rick, we did both post after we ran the car last weekend at Trains and Lanes.

The car is flat out awesome. It's been a little transition back into a "normal" style touring car layout, chassis wise. Setup items respond a little different, which is what takes a little bit to re-learn from the Type R.

Larry and I literally only have the kit parts to work with setup plus some extra shims. We're still running the kit springs, but have definitely made changes to the overall setup from what EJ used at Reedy and what the manual has as a base.

We haven't really posted much, setup wise, as we're still learning what the car likes. Larry seems to have caught on, setup wise, quicker than I have and it has showed... especially at Blue Diamond. We're really close speed wise, but man... every time we run the car, it just keeps getting better.

This coming weekend is a Cash race at Trains and Lanes, which is a very tight track similar to the Coliseum, but no where near the amount of natural traction from the track. Once we get a more base setup, one of us will post up what we come up with.

I know that anyone who purchases this car will not be disappointed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.