Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
Craig, can you publish the build tips doc in pdf format? "PDF Creator" is a free pdf printer that works awesome.

Also, no love for rctech? How about a link back to this thread, home of the Photon.
Ah good thinking! This is why i'm not left in charge of things. Love added, and build tips PDF'd. A toe chart has also been added (thanks DZ)
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Well, by the end of the night, I bested my fastest lap ever, and was pretty easily clicking off quick laps. I'm having a heck of a time with mid-corner traction roll, though. Gonna do another full day of testing tomorrow and try some things out.

From the kit setup, I went to a medium sway up front, camber link in the middle hole F/R, middle ackerman position, 2.5 rear toe, and put a 2.5mm spacer under the rear inner links. I'm running the medium roll center links with the dot up, so I think that's medium high? I tried medium low all around and lost .3.

I've got a nice thick bumper on the car (P-Dub 415), and am happy to report that even with several good whacks on the front, nothing broke. I didn't hit anything with the side of the car, but had some pretty spectacular traction rolls. These bent both of the screws in the rear holding the hinge pin mounts to the bulkhead. I'm trying longer screws in there now to see if they're better. The existing ones were pretty short.

Any suggestions on tricks to reduce traction rolling?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Lord

Oh, one other thing. I've got some wobble in my diff pulley. Like, I can grab it and wobble it, not like it's warped. This was causing it to rub slightly on the cutout for the pulley in the chassis. The other Photon at the track also had some wobble, but didn't have the rub.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Oh, one other thing. I've got some wobble in my diff pulley. Like, I can grab it and wobble it, not like it's warped. This was causing it to rub slightly on the cutout for the pulley in the chassis. The other Photon at the track also had some wobble, but didn't have the rub.
I’ve got a slight wobble too & I think it’s the diff rings - when I sanded mine I noticed that they weren’t completely flat

To stop you traction rolling you probably want to raise the RCs and a get a bit more camber change going
Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

If you have the diff equally spaced in the cams, move the spacer from the long side to the short side should remove the rub.

There was some talk a page or so back about either pulley or dust covers not quite equal. So if you rebuild the diff with the pulley, etc, flipped over, you might get some more room, preventing the pulley catching.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SRW141
Why are you using Schumacher steering rods/ assembly for this car? I would think it would through off how it was designed.
Because IT IS ALMOST IDENTICAL AND MUCH STRONGER THAN THE ORIGINAL
Old 06-30-2009, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Well, by the end of the night, I bested my fastest lap ever, and was pretty easily clicking off quick laps. I'm having a heck of a time with mid-corner traction roll, though. Gonna do another full day of testing tomorrow and try some things out.

From the kit setup, I went to a medium sway up front, camber link in the middle hole F/R, middle ackerman position, 2.5 rear toe, and put a 2.5mm spacer under the rear inner links. I'm running the medium roll center links with the dot up, so I think that's medium high? I tried medium low all around and lost .3.

I've got a nice thick bumper on the car (P-Dub 415), and am happy to report that even with several good whacks on the front, nothing broke. I didn't hit anything with the side of the car, but had some pretty spectacular traction rolls. These bent both of the screws in the rear holding the hinge pin mounts to the bulkhead. I'm trying longer screws in there now to see if they're better. The existing ones were pretty short.

Any suggestions on tricks to reduce traction rolling?
i may have missed it but this is on carpet, correct?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nocif13
Because IT IS ALMOST IDENTICAL AND MUCH STRONGER THAN THE ORIGINAL
Gee I never thought I'd ever read that, schumacher parts stronger than something other than cheese ?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Hi Guys,

I've knocked up a quick website to store all the Photon setups, build tips, resources, and anything else useful I come across.

http://www.tchub.info/

p.s. the URL is new so it may not have propogated to the US yet
It works just fine here in the us of a...
Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Gee I never thought I'd ever read that, schumacher parts stronger than something other than cheese ?
I compare the Schum AND PHOTON! NUANCE

AND THE SINGLE parts MI4 rises without changing this
Old 06-30-2009, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nocif13
I compare the Schum AND PHOTON! NUANCE

AND THE SINGLE parts MI4 rises without changing this
Yeah, well that makes that part of the photon similar to cheese...
Old 06-30-2009, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I too had a good first meet with the car down under. TQ, fastest lap, and 2nd overall (could have been first but was taken out by a backmarker while leading A3 ). Most guys running the car for the first time had the same push I did with the base setup, but by the time the finals came around everyone running them looked pretty happy and I think we walked away with 3-4 podiums. We also learned the hard way to use a servo saver with 2 of us running just the arm broke steering bell cranks.
it was a very good meet for the 5 photons that were there,

Super stock 10.5
1, Christian (xray 009)
2, Craig Mcphee (Photon) TQ
3, Damien Zarb (Photon)

Stock 17.5
1, Darren L (Cyclone) TQ
2, Rod M (Photon)
3, Ray Z (Photon)
Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rod M
it was a very good meet for the 5 photons that were there,

Super stock 10.5
1, Christian (xray 009)
2, Craig Mcphee (Photon) TQ
3, Damien Zarb (Photon)

Stock 17.5
1, Darren L (Cyclone) TQ
2, Rod M (Photon)
3, Ray Z (Photon)
Thats awesome that you even have that many running at your local track. I have never even seen one in person. Although I did hang around Josh's pit at the snowbirds for a few minutes. What he had there was cool.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by LOW ET
i may have missed it but this is on carpet, correct?
Yep, Ozite with quite a bit of grip. (pics)
Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

new to rubber on carpet, do you guys use tire warmers when running on carpet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.