Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car >

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

There has not been much mention of this on the thread but there is something I thought I would touch base on to possibly help prevent a future issue.

There had been some reports of people having issues with the screw that holds the spool drive cups into the spool assembly coming lose. This is why there was a rather odd (compared to the other screws) looking bolt and nut thrown into the first batch of kits. Im not sure how many people actually used this screw, but I feel there is another way.

When building mine what I did is I tapped the spool all the way through from both sides with a 3mm tap. The when inserting the drive cups into the spool it made sure to push them in rather firmly to make absolutely sure they get fully seated. This is important because the fit is quite snug and it would be easy to think that the screw is threaded far enough in when in fact the drive cups may not even be all the way in. Now that the cups are fully seated and you have some good, secure, pre-threaded threads in the spool you can just go ahead and insert the originally supplied screws ( in think the are 10 - 12mm) and you will have no doubt that the screws are properly attached.

I checked mine after 3 runs, again at 8 runs, and again after almost 20 packs, and the cups were still perfect.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Tried a Tamiya?

I've got it on mine and get lock to lock easily.
No, my Tamiya clapped out on me so I started running the kimbrough. I have now managed to get full lock with the medium kimbrough though - idiot here set up a new model on the transmitter but forgot the max steering throw is set separately to the steering %

I've now also moved my servo forward to liberate a bit of room. I'm a little worried about how much I took off the bellcrank (I ran out of servo case to dremel), but hopefully the servo saver will compensate nicely
Old 06-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
If you saw my servo after I went wild with the dremel.... Hanson was wondering if there was anything left of it....

My first day running it report....

Where did all the *%$*&(&$)( steering come from? First time a I've ever ran a spool.... And I liked it!!!

Now the post build report.... 2 out of 4 shocks did not hold the shock oil..
I built them right ( OK 1 shaft had a nick in it ) Gonna take them apart and see what the problem is... I had the droop set way too loose... And used a set of snowbirds rubber tires because thats all I had at the time...

Thanks to Jamie for some build/set-up tips and Brandon Hess for really fine tuning the set up ( OK he really made a lot of tuning changes ) and it really made a huge difference...

The only issue I need to resolve is the lip battery with the banana plugs with the positive right under the upper deck....
Thanks Rick… Your car was butter right out of the box. You need to put some more gear on that motor…
Old 06-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
Hahahahaah...
I was anxious to get the car on the track. The live beaver I keep in my tool box for jobs just like that..... I plan on cleaning it up a little. The servo had decals on it from before. I just wanted to make sure it ran. More pictures of the car will come later after I have cleaned it up for your approval.

I did live in Midland, Michigan up until about 3 years ago. Raced at Robbies Hobbies in Bay City, USA raceways in Bridgeport, JJs speedshop, the many locations of Larrys and also in GR.
Hahaha..

I thought I knew you but I wasn't sure ! Hows the old man bro?
All I can think of is man are we getting old. Racing sure makes it worth while doesn't it ? I've been only able to do one or maybe two big races a year if I'm lucky. Some of your buddies on this thread tell me you've won a couple Oval Champs and others too. Great job man! Maybe I can hit a good carpet track somewhere soon ... NOT CLEVELAND! lol

P.S. K factory has a nice thin servo saver that looks like it would work nicely.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:55 PM
mk2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default top

for the spool the screw i found to work the best is a Quater twenty size its a bit larger than 4-40 and it has a course thred witch bits the plastic hardeder its the screw that associated. uses for there front body mounts for there pan cars works awsome and can be found a local hobby shops or hardware store i have passed this info to ej . thanks to ej and od for putting me on the team hope this helps
Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

hi, i'm just wondering anyobe can post a pic to show the battery connector as mine are touching the upper deck ( - ) .

Thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 03:41 AM
Tech Addict

Hiya

If you look a few pages back.... In the 30's you can see my car with lipo in it, the proper sort with out wires lmao

It's a tight squeeze need the deck but mine just clears....

Worst case scenario is you need to build a extension using a corally male, a battery bar and a corally female tube :-)

Hope that helps
Luke
Old 06-29-2009, 03:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Bagofskill - Yes, the universals are 46mm from pin/pin so they are the same as the 46mm Tamiya ones. Xray does measure them differently so I think their 52's are the same as the 46's (I'm not 100%). Honestly, we talked about a LDC for the front but after seeing the cost plus the unreliability (lot of races where I've seen them broken) we decided not to make them. If you want to use them, you will also have to use their castor block as they will not fit in our castor block. I designed the spool to actually load/flex to help absorb some of the bind/chatter from the universal so I don't know if the LCD is such a big difference in out car compared to others... Again, I haven't tested it thought so I can't really give any information about it.
Thaks Josh, the support you'r giving on the forums will I'm sure contribute to the cars' success! I think the 'LDC' or ECS shafts worth depends on application and suspension geometry. I've recently run a Schumacher and an Xray and the Schu standard CVDs are monkey tennis and on the Xray they're ok, but the ECS delivers a bit extra on the tight indoor tracks with rubber. I have seen one damaged though.
Maybe the Photon won't need it, but thought I'd ask...
Old 06-29-2009, 04:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Right first weekend with the car and all I can say is WOW

I've always complained that I cannot get a car in to the corner, but with this I can enter the corner at stupid speeds and lines and it just seems to work so well around the front end. Had to make a few changes to the car to tame the steering down, but I didn't want to take the steering away so mainly played round with getting an Ackerman that I felt comfortable with. Ran new and old tyres and found it to be just as good on both, new tyres made the car a bit sluggish in the faster transition corners, so I increased the droop a tad to get the transfer moving

Anyone know hot to host a pdf file so i can upload it?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

i finish 6th at the french national round 4 with photon

http://top-photon.blogspot.com/

the titanium screw set and belt friction drive are aviable?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:57 AM
Tech Regular

hello
why are the suspension mount inserts made of ugly and ultra hevy steel.
an not alu as they say in the manual.
sadly i found some disapoindmend in the car.
hope the driving make up with it

Last edited by marcel p; 09-13-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

if i want to turn on the screw off the suspenton mount the insert turns with it so you wil get al uneqal rol center.

Last edited by marcel p; 06-29-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

If it's doing that pal you've built it wrong, with it assembled correctly there is ZERO chance of the insert turning around in the mount....
Old 06-29-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THeGame
Thanks Rick… Your car was butter right out of the box. You need to put some more gear on that motor…
Ahhh... Guess what I discovered last night.... Besides that I TQ'd stupidity Saturday... I had a 21.5 motor and not the 17.5 that I planned on putting in...

And yet it still hung with the stock motors in the infield.......
Old 06-29-2009, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
If it's doing that pal you've built it wrong, with it assembled correctly there is ZERO chance of the insert turning around in the mount....
oke wizz kid tel me than wat can i do wrong about that.
instead of simple saying you doing it wrong

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.