Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car >

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 AM
  #8806  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loveeeee, CO
Posts: 3,149
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bishop
Don't know if this can be confirmed or not yet with the new model, but I have various sway bars, belts etc, and wondered if much will carry over?, even shocks etc?, would be nice to get a new kit and end up with a handy amount of spares from breaking down the old car rather than selling it off.
From what i understand most to all the suspension parts are the same. The biggest changes are the chassis, top deck, bulk heads, and steering system. Most of this is evident from the pictures.

I'm very excited about this car, most the changes look to be for the better.
bkspeedo is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 04:56 AM
  #8807  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Rod M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,545
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bishop
I made an excitement in my pants...

No one take this the wrong way, but I was wondering if the price would drop cause the new TA 6.1 is good, and cheap, it's not up to the TOP on quality, but I'm fighting a hoard of them suddenly at my track, plus I drove a friends last meet, and it was very good on track.

Don't know if this can be confirmed or not yet with the new model, but I have various sway bars, belts etc, and wondered if much will carry over?, even shocks etc?, would be nice to get a new kit and end up with a handy amount of spares from breaking down the old car rather than selling it off.
price should "technically" be a little lower than the original photon simply as the EX will come with a Gear diff instead of a ball diff (approx $15-20 cheaper?)

I have received the latest EX Prototype Cad file and there are some changes from the Original EX Prototype we ran (and destroyed at TITC ), looks to be mostly around the Bottom deck and toe adjustment,

we had a look at some of the new Gear diffs at TITC and they do look very nice,

my understanding is that carryover from the original Photon to the EX will be all the plastic mold parts (arms, knuckles, c-hubs, etc), Shocks, sway-bars, belts, pulleys, universals and diffs,

basically if you currently own a photon and have a bunch of spares then the new EX will be able to use them,

Last edited by Rod M; 03-03-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Rod M is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 AM
  #8808  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (73)
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,755
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Rod M
price should "technically" be a little lower than the original photon simply as the EX will come with a Gear diff instead of a ball diff (approx $15-20 cheaper?)

I have received the latest EX Prototype Cad file and there are some changes from the Original EX Prototype we ran (and destroyed at TITC ), looks to be mostly around the Bottom deck and toe adjustment,

we had a look at some of the new Gear diffs at TITC and they do look very nice,

my understanding is that carryover from the original Photon to the EX will be all the plastic mold parts (arms, knuckles, c-hubs, etc), Shocks, sway-bars, belts, pulleys, universals and diffs,

basically if you currently own a photon and have a bunch of spares then the new EX will be able to use them,
Which arm mounts are going into production? the xray style or tamiya style? personally I prefer the xray style since you can use shims for fine tuning toe and arm sweep.
MikeXray is offline  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 AM
  #8809  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (20)
 
SLOWINSLOWOUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Kelowna, BC
Posts: 889
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Looking forward to the new car, I have been running a Photon for a bit now and really like it, very smooth and stable car, I modded the steering for transverse servo mounting, have plenty of steering and response. But I think the car might be too stable, my lap times are no what they should be, need to get another 0.3-0.4 out of the car.

So looking for current set ups for 17.5 non boosted on mid bite carpet, to compare to mine.

SLOWINSLOWOUT is offline  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 AM
  #8810  
Tech Addict
 
E.J. Evans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 601
Default Photon EX

Some parts between the Photon and Photon EX are interchangeable. The majority of the suspension is the same (arms, knuckles, C-hubs, shocks, etc..). Most of the drive train is the same (bearings, rear belt, dog bones, spool, diff, center pulley).

Some differences:

The front belt is a little longer.

The shock tower mounting holes are the same so the towers are interchangeable however the EX towers are 1mm higher (this was done to get the piston further away from the bladder). The new towers also has prongs to center the sway bar.

The hinge pins mounts are different along with the top deck, chassis, steering bell crank, bulkheads, motor mount.

The new gear diff has been great so far. No leaks and butter smooth. This will be included with the kit and we have made optional steel outdrives for it.

Hope this answers some questions.
E.J. Evans is offline  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 AM
  #8811  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: england
Posts: 304
Default

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
Some parts between the Photon and Photon EX are interchangeable. The majority of the suspension is the same (arms, knuckles, C-hubs, shocks, etc..). Most of the drive train is the same (bearings, rear belt, dog bones, spool, diff, center pulley).

Some differences:

The front belt is a little longer.

The shock tower mounting holes are the same so the towers are interchangeable however the EX towers are 1mm higher (this was done to get the piston further away from the bladder). The new towers also has prongs to center the sway bar.

The hinge pins mounts are different along with the top deck, chassis, steering bell crank, bulkheads, motor mount.

The new gear diff has been great so far. No leaks and butter smooth. This will be included with the kit and we have made optional steel outdrives for it.

Hope this answers some questions.

sounds good any idea of the cost for the kit?
mwoods is offline  
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM
  #8812  
Tech Regular
 
Luppi Stefano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 490
Default

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
Some parts between the Photon and Photon EX are interchangeable. The majority of the suspension is the same (arms, knuckles, C-hubs, shocks, etc..). Most of the drive train is the same (bearings, rear belt, dog bones, spool, diff, center pulley).

Some differences:

The front belt is a little longer.

The shock tower mounting holes are the same so the towers are interchangeable however the EX towers are 1mm higher (this was done to get the piston further away from the bladder). The new towers also has prongs to center the sway bar.

The hinge pins mounts are different along with the top deck, chassis, steering bell crank, bulkheads, motor mount.

The new gear diff has been great so far. No leaks and butter smooth. This will be included with the kit and we have made optional steel outdrives for it.

Hope this answers some questions.
thanks EJ!
Luppi Stefano is offline  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM
  #8813  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 711
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Does someone make a one way differential that works with the photon sedan?

Thanks!
gguertin145 is offline  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
  #8814  
Tech Master
iTrader: (17)
 
Ron Goetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Goatsville, SC
Posts: 1,959
Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gguertin145
Does someone make a one way differential that works with the photon sedan?

Thanks!
TOP sells one for it...
Ron Goetter is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 01:35 AM
  #8815  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 85
Default

CAD drawings of the Photon EX are on RED RC
mcb-jet is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 02:04 AM
  #8816  
Tech Adept
 
sagejyoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom and South Africa
Posts: 175
Default

Originally Posted by mcb-jet
CAD drawings of the Photon EX are on RED RC
seems like they really have taken the time to think about this one... its great! very impressed...
sagejyoung is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 03:41 AM
  #8817  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Rod M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,545
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

now it has been officially announced,

attached are some more detailed Pics I pulled from the CAD file, (sorry the pics are not straight)
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex-std-chassis-finished-1.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex-std-chassis-finished-1.1.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex-std-chassis-finished-1.2.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex-std-chassis-finished-1.3.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex-std-chassis-finished-1.4.jpg  

Rod M is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 AM
  #8818  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Rod.
Bishop is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 AM
  #8819  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Rod M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,545
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gguertin145
Does someone make a one way differential that works with the photon sedan?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
TOP sells one for it...
just make sure you order the correct one as there is two versions depending on which side you run the belts,

PO-PDT007RD Photon One-Way Set
PO-PDT0R7RD Photon One-Way Set - Reverse
Rod M is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM
  #8820  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Official's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 474
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
Some parts between the Photon and Photon EX are interchangeable. The majority of the suspension is the same (arms, knuckles, C-hubs, shocks, etc..). Most of the drive train is the same (bearings, rear belt, dog bones, spool, diff, center pulley).

Some differences:

The front belt is a little longer.

The shock tower mounting holes are the same so the towers are interchangeable however the EX towers are 1mm higher (this was done to get the piston further away from the bladder). The new towers also has prongs to center the sway bar.

The hinge pins mounts are different along with the top deck, chassis, steering bell crank, bulkheads, motor mount.

The new gear diff has been great so far. No leaks and butter smooth. This will be included with the kit and we have made optional steel outdrives for it.

Hope this answers some questions.

I second EJ on the gear diffs. They look Great.
Official is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.