T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Exotek EXP

hi all -

i just wanted to post some good feedback on the Exotek EXP chassis. i had tried the chassis a few weeks ago in modified tc, and have continued to test different modified setups with it. the chassis is SUPER light -- so watch out when making weight. it weights only 76g while EJ's chassis weights 87g (both are still lighter than the stiff lipo chassis). the chassis supports an alternate servo mounting position, but i didn't not use this position. due to running on a clockwise layout there was a fair amount of drag on the little nub for the servo mount.

the handling of the chassis was comparable to both the stiff lipo and EJ's chassis, but there was slightly more roll/flex. this roll/flex actually works to your advantage of lower grip surfaces, or can be stiffened with the use of a medium (or harder) top deck. my previously posted modified setup worked very well on this chassis once I ran all 8 screws in the soft top deck (i only had 4 screws within a second modified car running the stiff lipo chassis).

i'll hopefully be able to post up some pictures today of the chassis all mounted up.

mike
Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I put the exotek chassis on my car that I usually use for the slow classes as it only had an original 6 cell chassis on that one before. Fortunately the class I'm mainly using it for right now has no weight limit .

I just received the "EJ" narrow chassis in the mail yesterday. I plan to use it on my newer car that I use for super stock and mod on rare occasions, but might save it for the carpet season. That graphite just looks too pretty to kill right away on the asphalt.

After one day at the track, even though it was only 21.5 blinky, the nub sticking out of the exotek for east/west servo mounting, is showing a fair bit of wear. I might go back to the north/south servo position and just chop that nub off. Because of the location where you have to connect the servo link to the bellcrank for east/west, it acts like a lever and doesn't require much force at the wheels to rotate a normal servo saver. It would mean it's also much easier to strip servo gears if you opt to not use a servo saver like I did, because there was simply too much slop with the ones I have.

I'm not great at picking up subtle differences in handling yet and I changed a bunch of things at once when I switched the chassis, but I can say it feels like a completely new car now. It was pretty decent before, but now it's an absolute pleasure to drive. If someone was looking at me when I put it down for the first few laps, they would have seen the most ridiculous grin in my face . It's almost unfair how good my car is now compared to the others I'm racing against. It's a totally legal car, but I expect to be accused of cheating this weekend. Some guys thought I was cheating before when my car weighed around 1500g
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hanulec
hi all -

i just wanted to post some good feedback on the Exotek EXP chassis. i had tried the chassis a few weeks ago in modified tc, and have continued to test different modified setups with it. the chassis is SUPER light -- so watch out when making weight. it weights only 76g while EJ's chassis weights 87g (both are still lighter than the stiff lipo chassis). the chassis supports an alternate servo mounting position, but i didn't not use this position. due to running on a clockwise layout there was a fair amount of drag on the little nub for the servo mount.

the handling of the chassis was comparable to both the stiff lipo and EJ's chassis, but there was slightly more roll/flex. this roll/flex actually works to your advantage of lower grip surfaces, or can be stiffened with the use of a medium (or harder) top deck. my previously posted modified setup worked very well on this chassis once I ran all 8 screws in the soft top deck (i only had 4 screws within a second modified car running the stiff lipo chassis).

i'll hopefully be able to post up some pictures today of the chassis all mounted up.

mike
thanks for your review!
my EJ Chassis is coming....I hope this week....but italian postal service is really BAD....

waiting for your car pic...
Old 07-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Luppi Stefano
thanks for your review!
my EJ Chassis is coming....I hope this week....but italian postal service is really BAD....

waiting for your car pic...
Brasilian too
Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Tech Rookie

hi all,
last weekend we had the largest european touring car race in Andernach.
I could qualify as 3rd in the Prostock division, but had a little pitch in the finals and was only 8th.
Here is my setup from the ETS final in Andernach.

Michael
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
msp_ets_andernach.pdf (379.4 KB, 250 views)
Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Does anybody know the height difference between the standard carbon camberplate en de aluminium ones? I only have the carbons and I see many people run the alloy's with totally different spacers for the upper link.
thanks, Danny
Old 07-13-2011, 07:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by mspiering
hi all,
last weekend we had the largest european touring car race in Andernach.
I could qualify as 3rd in the Prostock division, but had a little pitch in the finals and was only 8th.
Here is my setup from the ETS final in Andernach.

Michael
Congrats on the effort Michael. The Andernach track looks amazing. I hope to be able to race there some year...
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi all - i've uploaded my most successful, non-stock-like modified touring car setup. This setup worked well, but missed initial turn-in. I probably should of added more drag brake instead of making more massive setup changes (they have all gone south - my car pushes like crazy now...). Please take a look if you need something different than Larry's usual setup. This setup had a lot of corner speed and was very easy to race with. On the practice day after our Region Two regional this setup was only 0.1s off of Hebert and Haynes (it was all car, not me...)

http://www.racerlog.com/wiki/T.O.P._Photon#Setups
hanulec...were you running swaybars in this setup? Also how did you measure the droop?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by XxRONNxX
hanulec...were you running swaybars in this setup? Also how did you measure the droop?
No bars
droop over ride height. 2.5mm front and 3mm rear is the usual starting place
Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Narrow Chassis Arrived! thanks to Michael and TOP Racing USA for this!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

I'm finally letting my TOP Photon go. Comes with lots of extras and has all of the good stuff on it. Asking $200 shipped within the USA. PM me for details.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-img_0312.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Features
Hey Guys,

I'm finally letting my TOP Photon go. Comes with lots of extras and has all of the good stuff on it. Asking $200 shipped within the USA. PM me for details.

Mike
Pm'd. Now I just have to talk my wife into it, lol.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

4 laps? What broke? What motor where u running? I've seen the diffs gears strip if it is too tight or too loose. Sanding the backside of the big gears silghtly should be done. Honestly there was nothing wrong with these diffs (that could of changed). I'd recommend u post up on the spec-r thread. Or just buy a Yokomo gear diff and call it a day. They just slap together with no leaking...
The gears lost a few teeth but didnt completely strip, i have 1000 gear diff oil in it i heard that was the best to put in it from other team drivers. Car was going good untill it just span round. Struggling to find a yokomo geared diff in UK to be honest or i would have got one. X12 lrp 10.5 motor

Last edited by Adam Howe; 07-14-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Features
Hey Guys,

Mike
Car is sold, thanks guys!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Picked this gear diff up a while ago and never tried it. It feels kinda notchy. Is there anything I can do to make it smooth or do I just run it like that? I'm going to give it a shot in the rear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.