Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

it looks like to me the shock bottom plastic mount is to long perhaps he used tie rod end on shock bottom instead of the ones specific to the shock
Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What Sosidge said incorrect spring retainers and i believe the short link/ballcup has to be used.
I got 14 Top Photon shocks here and none of them are giving problems on my Photon and or my Team Magic.
Can get the ride hight down to 1 mm depending on spring tension.

regards Roy
Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

as you can see in this picture I am measuring the stock shock bottom for the photon shocks and it is quite a bit smaller than what you are showing
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-shock-bottom.jpg  
Old 12-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Can't thank you enough guys, it's the shock bottom. Good support. Now how about some intervention. J/K.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Thumbs up

........ That's why I thank God for Horsham Raceway in PA. Housing the best Drivers in the World. We have just about every TOP driver in the eastcoast duking it out every weekend and you can pick there brains about the TOP product...... Bottom line, Great car, Great place to Race....... Period!!.......
Old 12-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kwikvdub
........ That's why I thank God for Horsham Raceway in PA. Housing the best Drivers in the World. We have just about every TOP driver in the eastcoast duking it out every weekend and you can pick there brains about the TOP product...... Bottom line, Great car, Great place to Race....... Period!!.......

See you next weekend to duke it out.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kwikvdub
I was there 4 years ago, nice track.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here we have Lou's Speedway, which I think is our equivalent to Horsham here in the North. We might not have Larry F. and co., but we have Martin C. and several other regulars, including Lou, who are very fast and knowledgeable Photon drivers that help out. Photon is probably the most popular TC chassis at Lou's. I love it.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I am thinking about getting a new Photon. At Amain it says "T.O.P Racing Products Photon 1/10 USA Spec Int'l "Limited Edition" Touring Car Kit" and in the description it says it comes with extra set of plastic suspension parts. I read somewhere that it also comes with the lipo chassis. Is this true?

Also, what would you suggest to buy as spare parts?

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am thinking about getting a new Photon. At Amain it says "T.O.P Racing Products Photon 1/10 USA Spec Int'l "Limited Edition" Touring Car Kit" and in the description it says it comes with extra set of plastic suspension parts. I read somewhere that it also comes with the lipo chassis. Is this true?

Thanks
Chris
Yes It's true. Dollar for dollar you cannot find a better car period!! You really dont need to buy much more.. I havent really broken a lot. I picked up a few aluminum goodies thats all
Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by gruman28

Thanks
Chris
You can thank EJ and OD for the extra goodies. only things I'd recommend you get in an Alum Bell Crank(from Kings headz) and the 40* o-rings for the shocks. Other then that maybe some springs to tune it.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
You can thank EJ and OD for the extra goodies. only things I'd recommend you get in an Alum Bell Crank(from Kings headz) and the 40* o-rings for the shocks. Other then that maybe some springs to tune it.
TOP has their own bell crank out now. I'm playing with it this weekend
Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Springs for tuning, and get the aluminum spur gear pulleys. Sorry, but the plastic ones in the kit are crap. I would also buy a variety of the small and large pattern spacers/shims, and the cone washers. You will use them for suspension tuning and shimming out the stock battery brace.

Speaking of which, you need 20mm screws for the rear most suspension mounts, and 18mm screws for the rest of the suspension mounts if youre gonna widen the car out to spec. Otherwise you will only have like 1mm of thread in the bulkheads with the stock screws. Thats spells trouble.

It also comes with a ball diff and a spool... so you may need to purchase a separate diff for the front... depending on your use.

For those that dont know... the stock balls for the diffs are NOT carbide or ceramic. If you plan on runnin some power... the stock diff balls wont last. My front diff was gritty after one run with an 8.5.

Im a little picky when it comes to my cars, so i dropped an extra $150 for parts on top of my kit cost. After 2 weeks... im still spending. You can run the car fine without the added expense... but there IS room for improvement out of the box. Conversely, im glad i didnt buy another XRAY.

As far as durability goes... its fairly strong. Its weak points are the rear hubs and the steering rack... as previously mentioned. In the past two weeks i have logged over 600 laps and broken one rear hub and the steering rack.

I have run the car waaay loose and reallly tight... both ends of the spectrum to find its capabilities... so it has hit a few boards, and traction rolled (just came off the track comin into the sweeper) and hit a concrete wall.

Last edited by DaveW; 12-02-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
get the aluminum diff pulleys. Sorry, but the plastic ones in the kit are crap.
The kit comes with Steel out drives for the spool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.