T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car >

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
That's sounds right on the money! I'm gonna see if my track can order me one. Otherwise I'll be ordering one direct my the end of the week.
yes eric does carry TOP racing products
Old 05-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goop
yes eric does carry TOP racing products

I sent him a couple emails about it...looking forward to getting this car. I'm prepping my Xray for Ebay tonight.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

I would like to very much thank E.J. Evans for the opportunity to race in my first electric touring car race! I wish there had been time for me to better prepare and get in tune with the Photon as it is a great car! I hope to do some more racing with it in the near future, and for those waiting for the car.... you will not be disappointed, this car is outstanding! Thank you very much Josh Cyrul, Michael O'Donnell, and Kevin Jelich for all the help in the T.O.P. pit and congrats to E.J. for his total domination of the GT & 13.5 classes!

Scott
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

+1 on lipo fitment. I'm guessing with everything being so low you need to position the bigger lipos outside the line of the top deck - it doesnt look like they would fit between the wider parts at both ends. Hopefully the supplied lipo tray allows this as my SMC 5200 is friggin huge

I'm also keen to get a feel for the setups being used over the weekend with regards to roll centres and link lengths. I know Josh said they didn't touch much, so it'll be interesting to see where they are at in relation to the overall tunability

I'm sure all this info will be forthcoming, great work over the weekend guys
Old 05-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Was great to go see you guys run! The new car looks amazing!

And im also curious about lipo fitting? Can you get a Thunder power 5000 and a lipo tray to fit nice?
Here's a pic from the ROAR Nats with the Thunder Power 40C lipo in it. Looks like there is plenty of space under the top deck.
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-pict9174.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thankyou EJ for your help especially with the tires. You had a well deserved win in both classes. Congrats! Hit me up some time!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Congratulations EJ and TOP Racing crew

EJ congratulations on the double TQ and wins at the Reedy. Your time and hard work paid off.

I didn't get a chance to set up the Scythe for the Reedy since I was busy working on the HB. The Photon is looking awesome and can't wait to try one out.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

For those wondering about the Lipo that you can fit:

The top deck is 25.5mm from chassis to bottom of the top deck - .5mm over the legal limit so all legal lipo packs will fit no problem. The locators are again set-up to reach the max width and lenghts of the pack so again, if it's a ROAR approved case size it will fit.

Craig - We were pretty much in the middle of all of our adjustments. We could go in/out on the shock positions, up/down on the RC adjustments, shorter/longer on the camber link positions, forward/back on the wheel base, etc.... We weren't maxed out in any direction with the set-up so really we have room to go a lot of directions with the set-up. I played with oil, springs, droop, shock position (tower & arm), rear toe, front width, ackerman and weight position - with 5-cells at 1425g limit I was 55g under weight so I had some weight to move around on the chassis. That was with ti-tie rods and otherwise a completely box stock Photon kit with all steel screws.

I'll get to posting a set-up sheet later today.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Hopefully a setup using a lipo will post up. What was EJ's setup, did he run lipo? Was open mod pretty much running 5 cell due to the lower weight advantage?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtveten
Hopefully a setup using a lipo will post up. What was EJ's setup, did he run lipo? Was open mod pretty much running 5 cell due to the lower weight advantage?
Hi John
Got you...lol

Last edited by Goingfast; 05-27-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

jtveten - EJ and Scott were using Lipo but Kevin and I used 5-cell. We planned on running the Invite which was 5-cell. When they made Mod/Invite combined and opened it up with either I just decided to stay with what I planned with 5-cell. 5-cell did have a 75g advantage but I'm not really sure if it mattered as others ran Lipo and still ran well. There was some good talk about reducing the weight to 1425g with Lipo as the cars can all still be balanced well with Lipo at this weight as a 5-cell pack is still heavier than a Lipo. Hopefully, this will come into effect soon and we will be done with sub-c cells for good.

Here's my set-up from the race. I'm sure EJ will get his set-up posted as it was different from what I ran. His car was extremely smooth and easy to drive (I drove it after racing) with lots of corner speed. My car was more responsive, more steering and less roll which I prefer. Hard to say what his set-up would have been like in Mod or mine in 13.5 as we both prefer the car to drive a little different.
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-reedy-race-09-josh-cyrul.jpg  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
jtveten - EJ and Scott were using Lipo but Kevin and I used 5-cell. We planned on running the Invite which was 5-cell. When they made Mod/Invite combined and opened it up with either I just decided to stay with what I planned with 5-cell. 5-cell did have a 75g advantage but I'm not really sure if it mattered as others ran Lipo and still ran well. There was some good talk about reducing the weight to 1425g with Lipo as the cars can all still be balanced well with Lipo at this weight as a 5-cell pack is still heavier than a Lipo. Hopefully, this will come into effect soon and we will be done with sub-c cells for good.

Here's my set-up from the race. I'm sure EJ will get his set-up posted as it was different from what I ran. His car was extremely smooth and easy to drive (I drove it after racing) with lots of corner speed. My car was more responsive, more steering and less roll which I prefer. Hard to say what his set-up would have been like in Mod or mine in 13.5 as we both prefer the car to drive a little different.
Josh-

I just wanted to let you know how encouraging to see the top TOP drivers in this thread posting and communicating with racers. It is so refreshing to see a company that cares about the "little guy" that helps makes this hobby so great. Please keep up the level of communication because this is something that will help to differentiate you guys from the rest of the industry, besides what seems to be a great car.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

artwork - No problem and thanks! Keep in mind also, the set-ups that we post are actually what we ran and are running. I know other mfg's out there post a useless set-up because they don't want other drivers/mfg's to know what they are running (I'm not saying all do this but I know of some). We want our drivers/customers to have a good car, with a good set-up so they can be competitive and enjoy running well. Hopefully this results in a lot of happy racers with great results on the track.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Josh, did you use tire warmers ?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Josh: How do u measure droop? according to your setup, the front had 5.5mm and the rear only have 0.5mm?? that's a big difference.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.