Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Goingfast
Hi Josh
next week ,I should getting the med and hard wings for my photon..
Sound how I'm thinking about putting on the Med or hard wings. Do you think it will make the car steer harder ( Same effect like a sway bar in the rear)!
What is the phone Number to TOP racing USA part department?
here is the TOP Racing number:

Phone: (650) 583-8898

Monday-Friday (some Saturdays) 9AM-6PM PST

email: [email protected]
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I have a TA05 I drive on carpet sometimes for fun, and even with the carbon-reinforced chassis, it's got quite a bit of flex. I think I could make every shock position and camber link on that car different and it would still feel pretty good on the track. But, it wants to scrub, and there's really not a lot of options for taking more flex out, so it's kind of limited when the traction really comes up.

The Photon also seems to have a lot of flex, but on this car, that doesn't seem to translate to a large setup window. All I can tell at this point is that it's quite a bit different than a traditional sedan. I kind of expect the fast setups to be pretty unorthodox, 'cause the things I've learned about setup to this point aren't really working.

Speaking of flex, is there any concern that the top deck and the wings are of different thicknesses, and therefore might not flex at the same rate, or could introduce some inconsistency? On our high-traction rug the other night, I was really struggling with the car being different lap to lap.
Syndr0me, make sure your drive cups are okay. Notched drive cups could make it feel inconsistant from lap to lap. Did you get the version 2 cup yet?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
Syndr0me, make sure your drive cups are okay. Notched drive cups could make it feel inconsistant from lap to lap. Did you get the version 2 cup yet?
I definitely experienced the inconsistency with the notched cups, but that was something different... like the car going in weird directions when I would brake. V2 cups felt much better.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Its possible that one of your spool cups was coming loose hence the inconsistent braking? Just a thought. Either that or one of the cups is rounded out some and slipping.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
here is the TOP Racing number:

Phone: (650) 583-8898

Monday-Friday (some Saturdays) 9AM-6PM PST

email: [email protected]
Thanks EJ
Old 07-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag88
Darn !! I missed my chance to see a completed Photon. Any idea when you'll be back to MSI (even if for testing) ?
I should have mine built and there on Wednesday!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by schreff
2 things I would recommend...

#1. Make sure all the thrust washers are ((((( in configuration. That may help.

#2. Make sure you sand the diff rings really good. The rings in the kit are far from being truly flat. Use like a 200 then go up to 400 grit getting the rings as flat as they can be. You'll see what I mean when you start sanding. It takes a little bit on each ring to get it right.

I'm willing to bet the sanding will help you the most.

Other than that, nothing else special to do.
+1 on point #2 above.

I started out with the ring on my honing stone, and after 5 minutes I thought my stone had gone bad as there was still a huge oval on the inside of the ring that hadn't even been touched. It then took almost 20 minutes of wet sanding on 320 (didn't have anything coarser - never needed it ) per ring to get them to the 95% mark. I was tired of sanding by that point so I moved on...
Old 07-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul

lesbaldry - I would say too soft. Try the outer holes on the front and rear suspension arms for the shock positions. Also try the 324 springs in the rear with the 347 or 367 springs in the front.
I hav'nt had a lot of track time,only at my small home bumpy technical track(not a fair test),stiffer springs are on order and will be put to the test at a fast flowing high grip track very soon,hopefully meeting up with other Photon drivers too at a large southern UK meet...If there is a down side to useing TOP springs I will need to add a magnifying glass to my pit box...is there one available in team colours lol,At least it will stop your rival stealing your spring poundage.....thanks Les

Thirtybird: Cyclone TC pro diff rings are no different either.."sore fingers" ...they are the same size too! as is the rear belt (if any one gets stuck for parts trackside)

Last edited by lesbaldry; 07-18-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Josh, during your recent experiments with camber, did you take tire temperatures at multiple point (inside, middle, outside)?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Not even a shifter kart with absolutely no suspension what-so-ever is no where near the stiffness of our toy cars....
Old 07-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Not even a shifter kart with absolutely no suspension what-so-ever is no where near the stiffness of our toy cars....
A different principal, torsional twist being the primary tuning of a kart chassiss. Twisting a pipe or flexing a waist is more controlled by the bends that trying to make a flat plat flex.

Don't want to pollute this thread with another by-topic though.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
A different principal, torsional twist being the primary tuning of a kart chassiss. Twisting a pipe or flexing a waist is more controlled by the bends that trying to make a flat plat flex.

Don't want to pollute this thread with another by-topic though.
Pendulum effect....
I heard that one a lot at Pointe Pelle'.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Brian - With out the tire data, then I guess we don't have the pieces of the puzzle to generate what # to multiply by ten to know how stiff to make our chassis. Seem mute to me...... Guess it's time to go to the track and use an open mind, skills and some hard work.... Also, if the mfg's do or do not have the #'s is irrelevent anyway. Do you honestly think they would educate everyone in the industry about their engineering practices and work??
Old 07-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
CraigM - Try the more narrow rear hexes (wheel hubs) and add spacers from the inside to keep the rear width the same. You can also try standing up the front shocks as it should help keep the front end from rolling too far on a long corner.
I gave all of these a go today, but the best result was from going up in sway bars to 1.4 front and rear. The car was quite good at the club meet today (I won the main) but I'm still after more steering, particularly exit steering on power, but I also find I cant get on power as early as some mid corner in tight turns. I've attached my setup if it's any help
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-craigm-photon-setup-sma-20090719.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Craigm: I see your running Sorex. Did you do similar times with Much mores?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.