R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #16
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arj View Post
I'm sure this is a stupid newbie question but why are people buying three channel radio systems? One channel for throttle & brake/reverse, one for steering and the third is for ?????

Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks

Arj
Yep, your missing the most obvious reason.

The main reason people are buying 3 channel radios is pretty simple. Most of the radios that come with the other high end features people want, also come with at least 3 channels.

For example, I didn't buy my 4pk because it is 4 channel, its just that its a radio with all the features I want, that also just so happens to also have more than two channels.

Simple.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Remember, these radios aren't made just for car racers. Boat racers often use extra channels for fuel mixture or trim adjustment. Monster truck and rock crawler guys are always coming up with uses for an extra channel like reverse gears, rear steer, lights, etc. There are all sorts of things one could use an extra channel for, it's just not legal for most car racing.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #18
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Remember, these radios aren't made just for car racers. Boat racers often use extra channels for fuel mixture or trim adjustment. Monster truck and rock crawler guys are always coming up with uses for an extra channel like reverse gears, rear steer, lights, etc. There are all sorts of things one could use an extra channel for, it's just not legal for most car racing.
Actually, the first "wheel" radio was made for car racers. The Futaba brown box. Even as long as 20 years ago they were making 3-channel units, not that we had any use for them, and I think the first that I saw as an Airtroncs and the Futaba PCM high dollar units. But this was long before a crawler was even thought of, and the boat guys were still using stick radios.
Back then the more-than-2-channel units were the premium radios.
And as I said earlier, today they're used primarily by racers so they have somewhere to plug in their transponder. Bashers really don't need them, some just have them.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Yep, your missing the most obvious reason.

The main reason people are buying 3 channel radios is pretty simple. Most of the radios that come with the other high end features people want, also come with at least 3 channels.

For example, I didn't buy my 4pk because it is 4 channel, its just that its a radio with all the features I want, that also just so happens to also have more than two channels.

Simple.
yup, right on... you can add signal quality to the list of "high end features" too...

The day when Futaba comes up with a 2PK which has all the bells and whistles, and same signal quality as the 4PK, but with just two channels, people naturally won't be drawn to it as they'll think it'd be an entry-level system. Plus they won't be able to justify the outrageous price and hence will have to lower their RRP and hence their margin.

Economics... again

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Actually, the first "wheel" radio was made for car racers. The Futaba brown box. Even as long as 20 years ago they were making 3-channel units, not that we had any use for them, and I think the first that I saw as an Airtroncs and the Futaba PCM high dollar units. But this was long before a crawler was even thought of, and the boat guys were still using stick radios.
Back then the more-than-2-channel units were the premium radios.
And as I said earlier, today they're used primarily by racers so they have somewhere to plug in their transponder. Bashers really don't need them, some just have them.
I didn't say they weren't made for car racers, only that they are used in other applications. Why limit your products usefulness? It apparently doesn't cost much more to add a third channel and if that helps you sell an extra 100 units you are going to do it.

As for it only being useful for plugging in a transponder, you don't need a third channel for that. An extra battery port would be sufficient.

If bashers don't need it, how are all those TMaxx guys going to shift into reverse?

Of course, all this merely explains why manufacturers make three channel radios but the original question was why do we buy them? The answer is that the best radios are three channel. If the M11 was only two channels, I'd still buy it. I guess I should have stuck to the original question instead of trying to explain marketing.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
I don't want to hear " i can't make it because of the price of gas" ever again
I got my little green T-15 Blazer back so now I plan on racing alot more this summer even if gas goes to 4$ .And yes I will be pulling my trailer with the T-15 er a S10 4X4 Blazer
ROAR # 11-118753 / MATT #11-118754
MECH # 11-118755 / RYLEE #11-118756
RIP :Loretta Plueard 2017
SUPPORTING NORTHWEST HARVEST --- WWW.NORTHWESTHARVEST.ORG THE HUNGER STOPS HERE
Skruger is offline   Reply With Quote