R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default spur gears

I caught a rock in my spur gear today. So I need a new one. But being that I plan to race in a few weeks, I thought maybe I should pick up more than one. So I plan to race in the stock class here locally and will be running a 27t motor. I still have the stock pinion and spur on my tc4.

Is there a magic number to the spur and even the pinion while I am at it for this class? I'm sure the track setup will make a difference. So what spurs should I pick up? Pinions too?

--pakk
pakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Do yourself a favour and make up an excel spreadsheet that'll give you the FDR or rollout (whichever you want to look at) for various spur/pinion (and tire diameter) combinations. This will give you an exact picture of where you need to be starting from the current setup. Then you can decide a lot easier what pinion/spurs you want to buy.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
Is there a magic number to the spur and even the pinion while I am at it for this class? I'm sure the track setup will make a difference. So what spurs should I pick up? Pinions too?

--pakk
That really depends on your track and motor so there isn't really a magic number until you've found it your self, but you can use other peoples advice on what a good starting point would be.
You should at least build up a small stock pile of pinions so you can easily change your gearing if you need to. It would also be a good idea to have at least 1 spare spur for just in case you destroy one while racing so you can continue to race.
In my TC4 I'm currently geared at 30P/69S @ 5.7 with a Peak Racing Hellfire 27t motor but the motor is getting hot but this is on a large open outer track with elevation change.

This site is very useful.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter79rs View Post

This site is very useful.
The site is doing exactly what I encouraged you to do. It's useful, but it won't teach you how to do it. Do it yourself and you will gain the understanding of what how and why you're doing it.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

to be honest... I have no idea what kind of FDR/roll out I'm going to want. I was kind of hoping for a range on gears to get, but I understand what you're saying. Way too many variables. I guess I'm going to bug the guy at the LHS who races here locally. Thanks again.

--pak
pakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
to be honest... I have no idea what kind of FDR/roll out I'm going to want. I was kind of hoping for a range on gears to get, but I understand what you're saying. Way too many variables. I guess I'm going to bug the guy at the LHS who races here locally. Thanks again.

--pak
That's defiantly what you want to do. Once he tells you his FDR you can get a setup you machine for something in the range.
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote