Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Wow... New Technology! >

Wow... New Technology!

Wow... New Technology!

Old 11-24-2003, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by disaster999
just checked out those stuff and i have no idea what it is! all i know is that its kinda like a heat sink thats ice cold and could cool stuff, but HOW would it generate power? is the heat sink in the picture to show ONE of the ways of hooking it up or is it to keep it cool?
please explain..thanks
The peltier module is just a heat pump. When you apply voltage, it pumps heat from one side to the other. It only works when the hot side is kept sufficiently cool or the whole module just heats up. The closer you keep the hot side to ambient temp, the cooler the cool side gets.

The hot side is bolted to a heatsink and fan to dissipate the heat. The cold side is bolted to an integy Motor Jig with a copper shim to provide direct contact to the motor.

The heat removal capacity of my little heat sink and fan was limited, so the module ran cooler at 5V than 12 V.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Tech Initiate

At one time I had two peltiers in a computer to cool the CPU. Both peltiers were then water cooled to keep the hot side from heating up. They work very good if you can keep the hot side cooled down but it takes a very large heatsink to do it correctly, or some sort of water cooling. If cooled correctly they will actually form a sheet of ice on the cold side in a matter of seconds.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

there is a guy here in florida in the orlando area that makes them and sells them i find out the info if you guys are intrested, he plugs it into a turbo 30 or something and powers it up it clamps to the motor like a heat sink and on the backside it has some fins and a fan to cool down it gets the motor as cool as if were in a freezer.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by speedxl
there is a guy here in florida in the orlando area that makes them and sells them i find out the info if you guys are intrested, he plugs it into a turbo 30 or something and powers it up it clamps to the motor like a heat sink and on the backside it has some fins and a fan to cool down it gets the motor as cool as if were in a freezer.
Thanks Speed. Let us know.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I just can't help but think it would be simpler to take the motor out of the car, put it into a zip lock, then put it on top of the ice pack in your lunch box until the next round.

Art
Old 11-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Art, the motor cooler that guy makes is a nice unit. He CNC machines a heatsink clip, that snaps over the motor. The whole package is very nice and works good too. If you so choose ( depending on chassis) you can leave it cooling right up the last second. He machines custom made comm lathes too. ( really nice work). I will try get in touch with him, as his wife is due or just had a baby and is out of racing for the time being
Old 11-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

guys bare with us the guy lives about 3 hrs from us me and timpotter live near each other so either one of us will get you the contact #'s .

i know his wife and him are expecting a baby and is due about now.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Orlando Based Motor Chillers

Hey Tim, thanks for the good words. The guys at Superior saw this forum and knew I was being talked about and told me to post something. This motor chiller works off any 12V power supply, or 12V no less than 7amp gel cell battery. The unit pulls about 4-5 amps and *will not work* with a race pack so do not try it, it may ruin the pack!? The motor chiller will strap right to the motor still in the car, others just remove the motor chill it and then put it back in just before you race. Take a look at the Picture. To use the cold side of a Peltier chip you must remove as much of the heat from the hot side as you can. The move heat you remove the better proformance you will get from these chips. Right know I have two units left if anyone is interested in them they are $50 dollars plus $5 to ship them. Questions Email me ([email protected]) Tim, We had our little girl 11/25/03 she & Mom are doing just fine, how is Less's Baby doing? See ya guys after a little RC break.
Attached Thumbnails Wow... New Technology!-cooler3.jpg  
Old 12-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default orlando based motor chiller

Another picture
Attached Thumbnails Wow... New Technology!-cooler2.jpg  
Old 12-06-2003, 07:40 PM

lol can it be any bigger???

freaken huge
Old 12-07-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor chiller SIZE??

Calvin, this does not stay on the car for racing, size is no issue. With these chips the bigger the heat sink and fan the colder the cold side will get. This chiller works great with about an hours use attached to the motor it chilled it to about 40-45 deg.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:32 AM

sweeet

do you notice a diffrence in performance?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default one more picture

just another picture
Attached Thumbnails Wow... New Technology!-cooler1.jpg  
Old 12-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Motor chiller SIZE??

Originally posted by proedge
Calvin, this does not stay on the car for racing, size is no issue. With these chips the bigger the heat sink and fan the colder the cold side will get. This chiller works great with about an hours use attached to the motor it chilled it to about 40-45 deg.
its simply just aluminium and a fan, it will not cool down to any certain temperature, it will only cool down to the surrounding temperature!
Old 12-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Actually Disaster999... It has a Peltier Chip in there too. The Pelitier chip is what does the removal of heat. And yes it works good. I think the biggest benefit is if you can attach the cooler to the motor, while still in the car, before you run, and unsnap it and run. Some chassis make it difficult to fit the cooler on it, while the motor is still bolted in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.