R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Hey , thanks Skidd , but when you said " dont go over 4 " , is it the puch setting you mean ? If yes why did you mension 5 in the 2sd setup ( 2,5,2,2 ) no offence ?
what do you mean the lipo detection is crap ?Doesnt it detect the LIPO , but can i use LIPO with my ESC ?
How come you dont use more then 2 for the brakes doesnt the car takes longer to brake ?
We tend not to go over 4 on our 10.5's outdoors as the aggressive nature of the higher profiles tends to help the car to brake traction coming out of corners etc, particularly if you're hard on the throttle.
However, as your talking about racing on high grip carpet you will have better grip, therefor you can go a bit higher with the profiles.

The brake settings mean 2 is the minimum brake you get and the second '2' gives the car a small hadbrake like effect, this can create the effect of almost having rear wheel steering going into corners off throttle as the slight 'drag' on the drivetrain can help get the car to turn in.

At Snetterton for example I ended up turning drag brake off as it was causing the car to spin at the corner before the 'roundabout'.

As mentioned by the other guy's, the lipo detection is purely based on voltage it doesn't actually know or care what type of battery is powering it.
If set to lipo it is supposed to cut-off if the voltage supplied to it falls below 6V (the minimum for a 2s lipo), if left in NiMh mode it will never cut off no matter what as Ni-MH cells can fall well below 6V under load with Mod motors etc.

We found that a lot of Nosram and LRP ESC's were not cutting out when they should, with Lipo's measuring 5.8V etc once the car was on the bench after lots of running.

This is why I leave my ESC's set to NiMH mode and don't run for too long.

The profile and brake setting's are quite often personnel preference, but the 2,5,2,2 has been used by David Saul at Maritime and he was in contention to win the Carpetwars championship for a while.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
We tend not to go over 4 on our 10.5's outdoors as the aggressive nature of the higher profiles tends to help the car to brake traction coming out of corners etc, particularly if you're hard on the throttle.
However, as your talking about racing on high grip carpet you will have better grip, therefor you can go a bit higher with the profiles.

The brake settings mean 2 is the minimum brake you get and the second '2' gives the car a small hadbrake like effect, this can create the effect of almost having rear wheel steering going into corners off throttle as the slight 'drag' on the drivetrain can help get the car to turn in.

At Snetterton for example I ended up turning drag brake off as it was causing the car to spin at the corner before the 'roundabout'.

As mentioned by the other guy's, the lipo detection is purely based on voltage it doesn't actually know or care what type of battery is powering it.
If set to lipo it is supposed to cut-off if the voltage supplied to it falls below 6V (the minimum for a 2s lipo), if left in NiMh mode it will never cut off no matter what as Ni-MH cells can fall well below 6V under load with Mod motors etc.

We found that a lot of Nosram and LRP ESC's were not cutting out when they should, with Lipo's measuring 5.8V etc once the car was on the bench after lots of running.

This is why I leave my ESC's set to NiMH mode and don't run for too long.

The profile and brake setting's are quite often personnel preference, but the 2,5,2,2 has been used by David Saul at Maritime and he was in contention to win the Carpetwars championship for a while.

Skiddins
Hey Skidd , great explaination thanks alot it really clear things out .
By the way , will you be at the meeting on the 5th of april at WLRC ?
And do you know the west kent series , the website is www.wkrcc.co.uk
there next meeting on carpet will be the coming sunday and i will be going there .
Check the web and let me know if you can come .
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote