R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2003, 09:24 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I got mine in March and used them twice a month afterwards. I would let them sit at 5.4 until I used them again. They are the green and yellow or orange cells.
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:41 AM   #17
Tech Adept

I know that mine are the newer gen cell, yours could be older one's, I know that all my 1st gen cells have become pratice packs, but all the newer stuff is ok. Even though you bought them in march, they still could be the older cells that the matcher had lying around. Who are they from?
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 03:33 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Hello Maj. Teeth,

The reason the voltage is much higher is because the run time is lower.... If you had stopped discharging the new 420/1.172 pack at 385sec it would most likely have had 1.20V, thats my 2cent anyway!
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:42 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Can i just use a bulb discharger to "equalize them"? And would I discharge once after use, then once RIGHT before charging? I dont want to ruin some 1.17+ cells
KevanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #20
Tech Elite

KevanB.

NO NO NO. You CAN NOT equalize with bulbs ( unless you attached one bulb to each cell.... ) 20 amps through all the cells is too high of a load once the pack dumps. You WILL ruin your pack if you leav the bulbs on there after the pack dumps(lights go dim in a hurry) Because some cells will still have power, and others wont, power will be pulled through dead cells, and THEY DON"T LIKE THAT.

You CAN set up a discharger with one or two bulbs and hook that up AFTER you take the pack down on the 20 amp load. You should be able to leave that on there untill the light goes dead, because it is pulling a small load (about 1-2 amps.) After a few hours, you can dead short the pack for mega voltage, but slightly decreased runtime-good for stock.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:58 AM   #21

Post cells

hey pit,, thats what i do to... dis- 20a as soon as the lights dim... i take them off till next time..... put them on my equlizing tray then charge them back at 5.5a..... i have noticed on my last cycle that i have gone from 1.16 to 1.179... not much per cell but when you consider that gain as a pack.... =voltage
muggleh8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:28 AM   #22
Tech Elite

I would consider that a significant gain. Is that average voltage across the entire discharge? If so, then that is really good. Consider, the actual voltage at 5 minutes is probably still 7.1-7.2 GP ROCKS
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:44 PM   #23

Post cells

yeah pit..... average on whole pack!!!!!!! i dont dead short them anymore cause i went through 3 packs before i got it down...
muggleh8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 04:21 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Where can I order an equalizer or how can I make one? Ive seen some at my track...
Old 11-25-2003, 04:25 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to MAXXimumSPeEDx
Wink

I have those batteries as well. I haven't had much of a problem with them so far. But I would think leaving a little bit of a charge left on them would fix the problem. If that doesn't work, then something is wrong with either 1 of your cells or the whole pack. But I also have another question. When you used them, were they really really hot? If so, I would assume you fried the cells up a little bit which could result in the loss of runtime.

burn rubber baby!
MAXXimumSPeEDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:09 PM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Eirik
Hello Maj. Teeth,

The reason the voltage is much higher is because the run time is lower.... If you had stopped discharging the new 420/1.172 pack at 385sec it would most likely have had 1.20V, thats my 2cent anyway!
No, you got it all wrong dude. I'm a matcher. I do know that when the discharge time run out is set to 385, it will yield a lot higher number. We match with a 30 amp discharge set to runout the full duration of the default CE Matcher 4/35 settings of 5000 seconds. What I was trying to say in the above is that some cells will come down as far as runtime when not properly taken care of.

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:14 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Would this schematic be suitable for 3300's? http://www.schumacher.clara.net/equaliser.htm
Old 11-26-2003, 08:37 AM   #28
Tech Initiate

I think it's a fact of life that all cells lose runtime over time. Why do you NOT expect cells to perform worse when they are used (abused) over and over again? If cells could last forever then we would not need to buy new ones.

The problem here is peolpe think their cells are deteriorating faster than they expected. People try all kinds of methods to condition and/or cycle with a fan/without a fan and/or store their cells and there is no way to compare objectively every person's pack here in the discussion thread.

I'm not a battery expert but I've been in this hobby for years and this is what I think.

All packs deteriorate/ degrade over time. Some people grumble that their cells are not performing as well as they were 6 months ago is a joke.

Runtime/ discharge time is probably the best measure to diagnose your batteires working life.

Voltage is a product of resistance. You notice you get a high voltage after the pack has been used many times. Don't be happy about it. It's more likely the internal resistance of the cells have gone up.

There is still controversy whether to store the cells with partial charge or tray them down to 0.9v each. I have heard nimh 3300 cells can become dead with latter but no apparent advantage with the former except some subjective word-of-mouth evidence of increase in 'runtime' and 'punch'. I fear my cells go dead so I store my cells with partial charge left after a practice run.

I tell myself to listen to the Fuku homepage not to cycle my packs. You only make your cells work an extra cycle. With that statement alone I think you can appreciate that cells have decreasing trend of performance with usage.

Cycle your cells when there's nothing to lose (old packs) and see if you gain some extra reborned runtime and see if this can LAST. I bet they don't. If you own a Zapper you have the luxury to try all those experiments to break those 'crystals' and see if the IR goes down and hence voltage. But I bet runtime also goes down.

The bottom line is cells deteriorate over time. Expensive matched packs are not immune to this phenomenon. I never believe those stories when someone dig up an used 3-year-old pack and claims that it still has lots of punch and runtime
mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:24 AM   #29
Tech Adept

So Mandy, do you believe that we should still spend the funds to purchase matched sets or just get the bats by the bulk? If this is true, then it should not be an issue with a bulk set vs. matched sets, correct?
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:54 AM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

mandy - Ummm depending on where you get them matched packs there pretty much the same "cost wise" as unmatched packs, go to radioshack and look at the price of their 3000nimh packs $35 which is the price of a zx 1.15v pack including shipping. I'm sure the zx pack performs better. Also most of the time people replace there packs because a new and better more powerful pack has come out, not because there pack has died.

Just my take...
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote