R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
wow, how does ROAR get brought up in a thread about a guy plugging his esc in backwards? I would never want to be a part of ROAR managment just for the fact that you get blamed for everything anymore
B/C he mentioned the plugs were backwards from other packs. Lots of people cut their wires so you cant plug them in backwards. If you borrow a pack and don't look you could easily plug them in backwards if they are opposite. I believe in europe they only allow the bullet connectors and have a specification for them. Just makes things easier. Im not blaming. Im just saying hindsight being 20/20 it would have been nice to make the connectors part of the specification like others did to help with issues like this. If everyone used the same on the same side then no problem, right?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Sooooooooooooooo, let's blame IRMAR.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default hate to post this...

put there is a universal option..
it's called deans plugs....losi plug....etc...

but anyway....i'm glad to see Tekin does have an option for this type of scenario...
Thanks for the update.
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Spoke to a fella named Ty at the Tekin Tech Support, he was very helpful and looks as though they will be able to do something for me!

Fixing my screw up with minimal cost makes a customer happy and makes good business sense, I will never have another Orange or Blue ESC in my cars again!

Cheers
Grant
Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ty is really cool and very easy to deal with as long as you're straight up with him. He has helped me a lot.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

TY helped me to get a service warranty on my ESC. He is COOL.
meon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
we've all smoked a speedo at 1 pt or another.

R
multiple points in my case.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #23
Tech Regular

I dont know about this guy named ty from tekin, but lifeguy can attest to this, i got a brother named ty as well, and i`m like lifeguy no orange or blue esc`c gonna ever TOUCH MY CAR.
Don`t blame the car, when you know you can`t drive.
Sponsor, me , myself and I.
nitro ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Sooooooooooooooo, let's blame IRMAR.
Its hardly their fault... Its always the case with manufacturers all wanting to be different. It would have been easy for them to standardize something like this. I run my wiring to suit both side and check every time I plug in. I intend to change lipos over to just one type in future and adjust wires to prevent such stupidity. Too bad for those that make a pack opposite.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
wow, how does ROAR get brought up in a thread about a guy plugging his esc in backwards? I would never want to be a part of ROAR managment just for the fact that you get blamed for everything anymore
Just the other day I heard tha global warming is all ROAR's fault.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #26
Team Tekin

Quote:
It is not ROARS fault, but it would have been nice if we did have a standard for the plugs. It is not like it would have been hard to set a standard early on and the manufacturers should have done it themselves. Since Orion was first we should have all followed that setup. All it takes is putting the battery in the upside down to switch it.

So although it is not ROARs fault I do think it is their place to think ahead and avoid these issues for the benefit of all. We suspect many of our returns are from plugging the battery in backwards and people do not admit it. We can usually tell, but hard to prove when people are adament they did not do it.

Thank you to those that are straight up with us. It helps keep the cost down for everyone.

FYI when the battery is plugged in backwards the current is bleading backwards thru the fets and shorting directly across the battery. We can handle it for a second or 2, but damage happens very quickly and the smoke comes out.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 03-15-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
It is not ROARS fault, but it would have been nice if we did have a standard for the plugs. It is not like it would have been hard to set a standard early on and the manufacturers should have done it themselves. Since Orion was first we should have all followed that setup. All it takes is putting the battery in the upside down to switch it.
When orion didn't even standardize it on their own packs it's hard to follow. A friend borrowed my 3200 back when everyone used orion and put it in his car that he was used to having the 4800 in (they are swapped between the two), for some reason it smoked the pack, but not his speedo.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #28
Team Tekin

Agreed it is the biggest mistake we made when standardizing the lipo BL revolution. Unfortunately the cost falls on the speedo manufacturers for our lack of cooperation and vision for the future. When the case size was defined we should have specified a polarity before there were so many on the market. Now we are pretty stuck and paying the price. Hindsight

It really shows how little thought and actual design consideration went into these packs. Most brands just slap a sticker on what the manufacturers offer and off to market it goes. We actually designed our case and paid for the tooling. We did match what we thought was the standard, but it did not turn out that way. We offered a lipo when it still took a significant investment in tooling, testing and qty. Now anyone can get in with a few thousand dollars for 100 packs and a sticker. It is out of control and there is no turning back.

We still have a chance to do it right with 1S packs. The leaders set the standard and the SMC would be it right now. Maybe someone should suggest it to ROAR
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

Default My ESC didn't smoke twice..... pure luck?

Could someone please shed light on why some ESC go up and smoke and some don't on reverse polarity. This is just out of my curiosity.

Recently, I connected my brand new ESC (yes a branded one) to a fully charged 6 nimh pack and it didn't smoke the ESC. The connection was on for at least 10 seconds. There weren't any sparks either when I connected it to the battery leads. I tested it on the track and it I could not feel or detect anything out of the ordinary. There was this one time also that I did a reverse polarity connection to the battery for another branded ESC, but that instance caught my attention right away because of a huge spark. It didn't smoke my ESC either.

I guess I was just lucky. I got the impression that in most cases it will toast the ESC but I guess we only see people that reported it here when there is a problem. I believe many do get lucky like me?
HCHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosho player View Post
I have smoked three lrp speedos last year.Now I run Tekin rs pro's and not one issue.
Try reversing the voltage on your RS, I'm sure you'll get some smoke out of it

I actually did that with my last LRP and all I got was a spark between the Deans connectors, was pretty lucky me thinks.