R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default I want to convert to brushless

Hi all,

I'm still running old equipment here with 2000 and 2400 Mah packs, teking10 esc 6 turn motor. I want to trash all of this and upgrade to a brushless system and lipo packs. The problem is I have no idea where to start, I know about the old system but I have no idea how the new systems work. What should I look for in a speed control? Whats an inrunner and outrunner motor? I see 3 different sizes, which one fits in a 1/10 scale touring car? How do I determine the speed, I noticed no turns? How do the batteries and chargers work, whats the longest lasting? Manufacturers, whats teh best?

I heard good news about the ezrun systems, what do you think?

I honestly don't know where to start, wondering if someone can chime in or direct me to good learning guides.

Thanks

Last edited by ddzc; 03-05-2009 at 08:38 AM.
ddzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Tech Regular

for a speedo, take a look at the Novak GTB, LRP sphere TC, or speedpassion granturismo (LPF)Low ProFile edition (I personally prefer the speed passion cus it comes with a little programming card; no more flashing light programming! and you can also hook it up to your pc and get firmware updates!!!) All of these have lipo low voltage cut off and temp cut off.

For motors you cant go wrong with novak just (If you are running stock or super stock, get the SS series, not EX series), but some other good choices are the Orion Vortex, and the Trinity Duo. all thes motors come in a variety of turns.

For chargers, if you are going to use lipo (YOU MUST USE A CHARGER THAT CAN CHARGE LIPOS, IF YOU DONT YOU CAN START A FIRE/EXPLOSION) get a Duratrax ICE charger. It can charge ni-xx, lipo, and i think li-ion. it is a great value, has all the pro level charger features (adjustable current, cell number, temp cut off, 10 custom charging profiles etc.) but best of all its easy to use. If you are going to get a lipo battery if you are on more of a budget, the the Orion experience 2400 and the carbon 3200 (old model new ones are 3400 and 3800) are good choices the 3200 is also sold by peak racing but it is just the orion with a sticker on it (you can actually feel the orion logo on the case under the sticker=p). If you can dish out a little bit more money, the Trakpower gold 4900 is ok, but I got better numbers of my charger from the IB/trinity 3800. I just got their new 5200 but I have yet to test it, however I will run it at regionals this weekend and give you an update.

Hope this helps.

See ya at the track,

Mike

HB Cyclone Moore Speed WCE Edition - HB/BMI Cyclone(foam)
Team Magic G4RS pwered by EB mods and O.S. engines

Last edited by Little_Mike; 03-05-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddzc View Post
Hi all,

I'm still running old equipment here with 2000 and 2400 Mah packs, teking10 esc 6 turn motor. I want to trash all of this and upgrade to a brushless system and lipo packs. The problem is I have no idea where to start, I know about the old system but I have no idea how the new systems work. What should I look for in a speed control? Whats an inrunner and outrunner motor? I see 3 different sizes, which one fits in a 1/10 scale touring car? How do I determine the speed, I noticed no turns? How do the batteries and chargers work, whats the longest lasting? Manufacturers, whats teh best?

I honestly don't know where to start, wondering if someone can chime in or direct me to good learning guides.

Thanks
Well, you started off with Tekin (which is the best choice you made) so I would recommend sticking with that brand. They make very high quality speed controllers and motors that are still unmatched.

1.) Get the Tekin RS/RS Pro. There is an adapter called the Hotwire (https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=TEKTT1450) which will let you hook your ESC up to your computer and adjust the settings to what your driving style is like. You become one with your car's performance.

2.) You could also get Tekin RS ESC and Motor combos (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/30634) to give you a headstart, however what do you plan on doing when coming back to the hobby? This system will also fit in your 10th scale touring car.

3.) When buying LiPo, SMC (https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...&pn=SMC4028LDC) usually makes the best packs and have numbers to back up their packs and performance. They can be pricey but are very well worth the money.

4.) In terms of a charger, I personally use and very much enjoy the Thunder Power 610C (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/22245). By far the easiest to use and very reliable and has never false peaked on me when I was cycling my old NiMH packs.

Sensored brushless motors have turns and uncensored have Kv useage. The higher the number on Kv useage, the more powerful it will be. In terms of brushless sensored motors, the lower the number (similar to brushed motors), the more powerful they will be.

I am sure there are more details to share, but I figure I give a "foot-in-the-water" feel of what technology is like right now. I know I was blown away when I came back to the hobby after years. I am still relearning a lot of things.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

great, thanks a lot for the responses.

I noticed the big names like novak, lrp, etc are priced 3 times the amount for the same motor/esc system by ezrun. I'm hearing good things about ez-run and that they perform quite similar and up to par with big names. Do you believe it's worth the savings to grab an ez system?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Tech Elite

The EZrun ESC's are ok, but the motors aren't great. I see you run mod, so The 60A 5.5T system would work well for you, although you MAY need a better ESC. Hobbywing OEM the speed passion ESC's and motors, so the 120A esc (it's marketed as xerun I think) would be a better buy(take a look, looks EXACTLY the same as a speed passion one), along with a nice mod motor.

But for the price, get the 60A 5.5T combo, race, and if it doesn't work, put it in a basher
Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Kinda depends on what you are going to use it for and how fast you want to go. What has been mentioned are all good but you can get by much cheaper if you are not looking for high end racing stuff. I've seen a few things about the EZrun and it seems pretty decent but the EZrun I believe is sensorless only. Starts can have stuttering and seem to work much better in an offroad racing setting rather than onroad. I believe the Xerun from the same company is sensored. I'm not 100% on all that though.

Some other systems to look at are the Novak Havoc. This is a sport brushless speed control (sensored) that will handle down to an 8.5 motor (mild mod). For $150 or less for speed control and motor this is a great deal. But if you have been running a 6T these probably won't be quite as fast but with fresh lipos vs 2000 or 2400 packs it might be close using an 8.5.

If you are just bashing around and want speed the Mamba Max from Castle Creations would work well also. They have a range of motors that would get you any speed you need.

Lipos there are a ton of options which are good again depending on what you need. You could look on www.roarracing.com and look for their approved lipo list. Most anything there should fit a 1/10 touring car.

If you could narrow down a little more what you are looking for... is this for racing or just playing around? Seems like you are interested in a less expensive option.. what price range are you looking for? Answering these questions will get you responses pointed more towards what you want.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Thanks again!

I don't really have a price range in mind...i'm also in no rush of getting everything at once so I don't mind getting mid range-high end equipment...i'll buy everything piece by piece slowly.

I want something very quick, like the equivalent of the 6 turn motor. I'm thinking about getting a setup which can accomplish this so I can run a fast motor on the street and have a spare motor a couple of turns slower for the track. I mostly run the car on my streets and I casually go to the track to race...even though I want to visit my local track more often but my current equipment is garbage. I guess the Havok is not enough to run a 5.5...I was thinking about getting a 5.5 for street and 8.5 for indoor and outdoor carpet racing at the track. Is there anything quicker than 5.5?

So I suppose if you have more detailed modem suggestion, shoot them over. I don't want to go broke though as well..if I can get something solid and reliable for a decent price...i'm all over that.

P.S, not sure if the car matters, I have an Associated TC4 Factory Ed.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddzc View Post
I don't really have a price range in mind...i'm also in no rush of getting everything at once so I don't mind getting mid range-high end equipment...i'll buy everything piece by piece slowly.
If that is the case, then go with Tekin. You get more bang for the buck and then some. Plus they are reasonably priced and you really feel the return on investment.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote