R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gigaplex

Old 03-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default TC4 FDR help for VTA NEWBIE!!!!

Hey guys, I'm just starting to get into VTA racing, I'm pretty much completely new at RC racing except for rock crawling. I'm in the process of setting up my TC4 for VTA and I'm planning on running the Novak 21.5 with Lipo. The desired FDR is around 4.2 The track that I'll be running on is not really a big course but not a small one either, I was thinking that 4.2 is almost gonna be too much for the course something around the 4.5 range would be better i think.

Now, What gearing should I be looking at running?? Like I said earlier, I'm completely GREEN at this, I do know for a fact that my car has a 72t Spur in it right now but I'm unsure of the the pitch. What pinions could I run to get my desired FDR. I'm looking for any suggestions that can help.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Hey guys, I'm just starting to get into VTA racing, I'm pretty much completely new at RC racing except for rock crawling. I'm in the process of setting up my TC4 for VTA and I'm planning on running the Novak 21.5 with Lipo. The desired FDR is around 4.2 The track that I'll be running on is not really a big course but not a small one either, I was thinking that 4.2 is almost gonna be too much for the course something around the 4.5 range would be better i think.

Now, What gearing should I be looking at running?? Like I said earlier, I'm completely GREEN at this, I do know for a fact that my car has a 72t Spur in it right now but I'm unsure of the the pitch. What pinions could I run to get my desired FDR. I'm looking for any suggestions that can help.
I personally think you want to be at 4.2. Those 21.5s have a good bit of torque so the low end punch is pretty good with that. I found that I always had faster laps at 4.2 then when I went up a little. You kinda want all the speed you can get for VTA.

I'm pretty sure the stock spur is a 48 pitch, which is fine if you just want to gear with that for now, but I would suggest changing to 64p. I don't know the internal ratio of the car so I can't help you there.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Tech Adept

[I don't know the internal ratio of the car so I can't help you there.[/QUOTE]

ahh crap, what is the internal ratio???? I have no clue as to what the internal ratio is or even how to find out!

Like I said, I'm a complete NOOB at the RC Car racing so I'm starting from scratch. I know plenty about the RC Crawlers and such but nothing at all about the On road cars
Old 03-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I run a TC4 in VTA. I have switched to 64 pitch gearing. The internal ratio is 2.5.....

My track is fairly small, and right around a 4.6 FDR works great. So, I'm running a 48-tooth pinion and an 88-tooth spur.

(88/48) multiplied by 2.5 = 4.58

Old 03-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Where would be a good place to start looking for spur and pinion gears???
Old 03-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Where would be a good place to start looking for spur and pinion gears???
WWW.gearchart.com Will help you with gearing FDR's
www.Nexusracing.com will help ya with the spurs and pinions

Get a small spur 88 or 85 64 pitch and follow the chart you create at gearchart.com for your pinion selections.....
NUCRPTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Tech Adept

exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, Now, Should I be purchasing a variety of spurs and pinions to try different ratios out??

Thanks, I was thinking about getting the 88t spur and the 48-52 pinions to get a wide ratio of gears Or should I try different spurs along with pinions also?? Is there a there a difference between running a larger or smaller spur and same with the pinions?
Like I said guys, I'm very new at this and trying to get the most info possible.

What ratios would help prevent overheating issues??
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The 64 pitch is more critical on setting the mesh correctly than the 48 pitch.
That is one reason I prefer using the 48p.

You can get the Robinson 60 tooth spur gear in 48 pitch and use a 35 pinion for a 4.2 FDR.

Basically, the FDR is what matters. So using a larger or smaller spur is the same performance as long as you get the same FDR.

I would suggest 1 spur gear and several pinions.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Gotcha! Thanks for the great advice! I'll likely be ordering some gears here shortly!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Goodluck man and post if ya have anyother questions we are all glad to help......

You should buy a temp gauge just to monitor the motor....Your track size and layout will determine your FDR you will see as you try the different FDR's you will see a difference in straightaway speeds and a difference in the infield you want to find the sweet spot in both as you can be faster in one area and slower in the other...The trick is to find a balance between both where you dont sacrifice corner exit and entry speed for straightaway speed....
NUCRPTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Like I said I have the 88-tooth spur and also an 84-tooth spur. With these 2, you only need a small handful of pinions to effectively get whatever ratio you need. For instance, only using an 88 and 84 with a 48 and 50, I can get all 3 of the ratios I need for any of the tracks around me that I might visit (4.2, 4.4, and 4.58 FDR's). I don't know that you'd go over 4.6 unless your track was REALLY small, and 4.2 is the cutoff, so no need to buy too much.

Unless of course you are tuning your FDR to the hundredth, but you shouldn't be worrying about it that much
Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Just remember, when you get into the high 30-40 pinions. You'll have to sand down some of chassis bracing below the pinion before you put anything that large in. Or else you'll risk damaging the pinion, or even the motor.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to lordraptor1 Send a message via Yahoo to lordraptor1

Quote:
[I don't know the internal ratio of the car so I can't help you there.
ahh crap, what is the internal ratio???? I have no clue as to what the internal ratio is or even how to find out!

Like I said, I'm a complete NOOB at the RC Car racing so I'm starting from scratch. I know plenty about the RC Crawlers and such but nothing at all about the On road cars[/QUOTE]

internal ratio is 2.5
Old 12-02-2017, 07:57 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordraptor1 View Post
Quote:

Like I said, I'm a complete NOOB at the RC Car racing so I'm starting from scratch. I know plenty about the RC Crawlers and such but nothing at all about the On road cars
internal ratio is 2.5
Is there a reason you're systematically replying to really old questions (that have already been answered) in a bunch of different threads? This one is 8 years old.
RonF likes this.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote