World GT Body Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Sweet ride Peli

We are lucky to have a consistent class of WGT to race with here
Performance is cool, but it's nice to have something that looks like a race car too
Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Ive often suggested that not only should they be sale appearing, but represent a car that has actually raced in a GT class event. By those rules, the Sophia would not be allowed (much to the chagrin of a large percentage of racers in the WGT class). Maybe then youd see bodies like the Audi R8 LMS or even the return of the Corvette or the Porsche 911 (iconic GT racecar) among others
Well problem with the R8 and the 911 is neither are front engine cars which the WGT rules even before ROAR specified as illegal. Personally I feel that was a mistake.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 AM
Tech Master

Here in the British GT we have (later this summer) M Sport (the Ford WRC team) running the Bentley.

And also in its own series
The Ginetta (Zytek) G40, G50 & G55 (one of those is the base for a GT4 spec car).
http://ginetta.co.uk/

So there are other front engined cars raced.

(Ginetta is available for the smaller GT12 class)
Old 03-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anyone see the newer bodies hk has now. Here's one.

Carlsson C25
Old 03-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tyhodge07
Anyone see the newer bodies hk has now. Here's one.

Carlsson C25
looks nice but it's only 190mm, WGT cars are 200mm.
E
Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peli
The Parma DB9 is miles off in the frontend,that droopy snout just ruins it IMO.
Pity,I would like to have done a shell based on the DB9 race cars used in yor US GT series.

I found a Exceed Audi A5 shell at the shop (part no : 104028),so I grabbed it with this car in mind.It also helped that the Exceed doesnt look like a blob,and is pretty close to the real car,except the square box guards,and the bumpers dont have the louvres,vane's
I added Team Magic drift car body set ( 503317)for the wing,mirrors and windscreen wiper.

Here is my interpretation of the above...Forgive the shoddy attempt at a photobox and the phone camera And also the shoddy window surrounds,I have Parma pinstripe coming to rectify that.

Really, You think that the the nose of the Parma is less realistic than the Exceed Audi? That thing bears only the slightest resemblance to it's full scale counterpart in the grill area. Roofline, stretched trunklid, windshield raked too far.....

Actually the Parma is becoming popular in a lot of areas. I have a Sophie, but normally run the DB-9, as it offers more steering overall. The DB-9 was on the dominant car at the US Indoor Champs, and the Halloween Classic.

WGT is gaining popularity here. We occasionally get some USGT drivers, but we couldn't get a VTA class going if we offered the guys free entries. Just no interest....

I don't see the issue. The cars were supposed to look like GT cars, and they do. Now they're not perfectly scale, but they're certainly more realistic than any body on ROAR's T2 list. USGT cars aren't perfectly scale either. HPI's McLaren looks like an Anime caricature of the real car, and I see no public outcry against it.

The simple fact of the matter is this: There are two bodies that work very well for the class. The class isn't the most popular on earth, so convincing manufacturer's to create new bodies for the class will be difficult. Thank God Dale's passionate about this class, so we'll see a new one soon.

Going to big, tall, heavy shells designed for TC's is not the answer. You will only succeed in taking cars that handle extremely well, and make them prone to rolling over.

As for the tire issue mentioned in the posts above, THIS CLASS WAS DESIGNED TO BE A SPEC TIRE CLASS!! The number one complaint that I hear from TC guys as to why they won't run pan car is that they don't want to have to sort out foam tire combos, and deal with tires that they feel wear too quickly. The Spec Lilac works exceedingly well in this class. It provides adequate performance, outstanding wear, and allows for some really great racing.

In many areas of the country this class is growing, Please don't screw it up by diluting it into a bunch of fractured subsets.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thats been my concern CM...as much as Id like to see more variety in the WGT class (as in more cars that have actually been raced in 1:1 GT series), American RCers are about performance and the top performing bodies these days are the Sophia (even though its equivalent has never seen any race action) and the DB9 (which has seen some success in GT racing around the world and two wins at LeMans as the DBR9) and Id venture that 90-95% of the guys that run WGT run one of those two bodies and it would be to the detriment of any planned series involving the class to starve it by disallowing one or both bodies.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
As for the tire issue mentioned in the posts above, THIS CLASS WAS DESIGNED TO BE A SPEC TIRE CLASS!! The number one complaint that I hear from TC guys as to why they won't run pan car is that they don't want to have to sort out foam tire combos, and deal with tires that they feel wear too quickly. The Spec Lilac works exceedingly well in this class. It provides adequate performance, outstanding wear, and allows for some really great racing.
^ This ^

I know as a Mfg., to go to a National Level Race, get one set of hand out tires and then go on to TQ and Win with that ONE set of tires for the entire week is pretty cool.

Also...I don't think he'll be mad....Dale shot me a pic of the finished Gianna mold last week. It is really, really nice.

Have a great weekend.-Bruce
Old 03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Really, You think that the the nose of the Parma is less realistic than the Exceed Audi? That thing bears only the slightest resemblance to it's full scale counterpart in the grill area. Roofline, stretched trunklid, windshield raked too far.....

Actually the Parma is becoming popular in a lot of areas. I have a Sophie, but normally run the DB-9, as it offers more steering overall. The DB-9 was on the dominant car at the US Indoor Champs, and the Halloween Classic.

WGT is gaining popularity here. We occasionally get some USGT drivers, but we couldn't get a VTA class going if we offered the guys free entries. Just no interest....

I don't see the issue. The cars were supposed to look like GT cars, and they do. Now they're not perfectly scale, but they're certainly more realistic than any body on ROAR's T2 list. USGT cars aren't perfectly scale either. HPI's McLaren looks like an Anime caricature of the real car, and I see no public outcry against it.

The simple fact of the matter is this: There are two bodies that work very well for the class. The class isn't the most popular on earth, so convincing manufacturer's to create new bodies for the class will be difficult. Thank God Dale's passionate about this class, so we'll see a new one soon.

Going to big, tall, heavy shells designed for TC's is not the answer. You will only succeed in taking cars that handle extremely well, and make them prone to rolling over.

In many areas of the country this class is growing, Please don't screw it up by diluting it into a bunch of fractured subsets.
wgt at our track died a while back , but LOTS of renewed interest in it due to us planning a kind of open 10th pan class , OPEN TIRE , OPEN BODY ( NO LOLA / WEDGE ) , MOTOR AND BAT ( 1s or 2s ) STILL TO BE DETERMINED , people are pumped on the class and the buzz is going around , sure they'll be guys that run bodies because they like the looks others will go for what performs best but either way cars will be on the track and people will be having FUN , all this talk of realizm and scale blah blah , if thats what peoples biggest concerns are i suggest building a fancy case and filling it w/ nice die casts. lilacs tires are exactly what you said adequate , for some thats great, but i want what works best at my track and lilacs are not even close compared to other choices ( i mention 12th scale see how many 12th scale guys would be excited to be locked into running lilacs)
IN MY BOOK IF YOU WANT SPEC CLASS BUY A TAMIYA RTR AND HAVE AT IT
*****again this is at a local level i would not expect to see the rules change at a national level unfortunately , but i can say this we're going to have some fun this spring wether it's considered REAL wgt or not makes no difference. other places may have zero interest in this type of class but not the case at our track
so whats worse guy's building/ bringing back out their 200mm pan cars to run faster/ handle better than current rules allow , w tires choices that work better than current rules allow , w/ the body of there choice that they actually LIKE the look / perfomance of or the alternative sell it or shelve it in their fancy die cast case!!

Last edited by tnt2671; 03-08-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tnt2671
wgt at our track died a while back , but LOTS of renewed interest in it due to us planning a kind of open 10th pan class , OPEN TIRE , OPEN BODY ( NO LOLA / WEDGE ) MOTOR AND BAT STILL TO BE DETERMINED , but people are pumped on the class and the buzz is going around , sure they'll be guys that run bodies because they like the looks others will go for what performs best but either way cars will be on the track and people will be having FUN , all this talk of realizm and scale blah blah , if thats what peoples biggest concerns are i suggest building a fancy case and filling it w/ nice die casts. lilacs tires are exactly what you said adequate , for some thats great, but i want what works best at my track and lilacs are not even close compared to other choices ( i mention 12th scale see how many 12th scale guys would be excited to be locked into running lilacs) IN MY BOOK IF YOU WANT SPEC CLASS BUY A TAMIYA RTR AND HAVE AT IT
*****again this is at a local level i would not expect to see the rules change at a national level unfortunately , but i can say this were going to have some fun this spring wether it's considered REAL wgt or not makes no difference. maybe at other tracks there would be no interest in this type of class but their is at ours.
so whats worse guy's building/ bringing back out their 200mm pan cars to run faster than current rules allow , w tires choices that work better than current rules allow , w/ body of there choice that they actually like the look or perfomance of and or the alternative sell it or shelve it in their fancy die cast case!!
If you want an open tire, open body class, you could just stick with 12th scale.

Originally Posted by SpeedMerchant
^ This ^

I know as a Mfg., to go to a National Level Race, get one set of hand out tires and then go on to TQ and Win with that ONE set of tires for the entire week is pretty cool.

Also...I don't think he'll be mad....Dale shot me a pic of the finished Gianna mold last week. It is really, really nice.

Have a great weekend.-Bruce
Bruce, I guess you and I don't qualify as 12th scale guys anymore......
Old 03-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

This is really the whole problem with electric on-road right now. Nobody will just race an established class. Everybody wants to run the class EXACTLY as they envision it. This is RC racing not Burger King; You do not get to have it entirely your way......
Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

If you want an open tire, open body class, you could just stick with 12th scale.

Bruce, I guess you and I don't qualify as 12th scale guys anymore......
12th scale / have one , lilacs dont work very well
why not 10th scale pan car??

not questioning anybodys expertise on 12 th scales , not really the topic

Last edited by tnt2671; 03-08-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: being nice
Old 03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

This is really the whole problem with electric on-road right now. Nobody will just race an established class. Everybody wants to run the class EXACTLY as they envision it. This is RC racing not Burger King; You do not get to have it entirely your way......
give them what they want , they will come

good talking

Last edited by tnt2671; 03-08-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tnt2671
give them what they want , they will come

good talking
In my experience as a racer, race organizer, and track owner, these one-off classes always start with a bang and fizzle out rapidly. Everyone wants to get in and run the faster class, but as tire wear and parts breakage increase, the average guy just gets frustrated and bails out. Right now it's not all that easy to get guys to run 12th Mod due to the insane speeds, and monumental tire consumption rate. An open tire motor 10th pan will be exactly the same. Plus, if you leave it to open body, you'll have two weeks of everyone running varied bodies, then it'll be a GTP spec body class because the bodies work so much better.

Try it locally and see if it flies. I'd personally love to run some 10th 235mm pan car on 1s with a 3.5 and Protoform P-35 Nissan, but I'm not sure how much staying power a class like that can generate. The cars are just too fast for most hobbyists to handle. It would be great to see it take off, but you'd have to classify me as "cautiously optimistic".
Old 03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

i understand were your coming from but modifying class's at a local level to the popular vote to get people running is a good thing for all involved , just so happens the tweaks are exactly what i think this class should be , whooper no cheese , xtra pickles plz , again good talking and i'll give ya an update on how this thing pans out

235 would be awesome but like most we just dont have the luxury of a full on 1/8th scale track and agreed to much for most and waching peoples cars evaporate after a small mistake would turn most away lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.