Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #691
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

One the one hand
It "can" be easier to start a class from nothing, with whatever rules may be

One the other hand
Starting, and running established classes with tried and true rules are easy to setup and work within, find the correct equipment from the start and go for as long as the class goes, no upgrading of motors, bodies, batteries, tires, etc

imo. it's nice to know what to run, without ambiguity

Lilacs are perfect on the rug for WGT, your results may vary if running on pavement ?

12th scale tires are much cheaper, and smaller, so specing this class is not widely supported

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #692
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
This is really the whole problem with electric on-road right now. Nobody will just race an established class. Everybody wants to run the class EXACTLY as they envision it. This is RC racing not Burger King; You do not get to have it entirely your way......
Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, shut up lady you upset us!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #693
Tech Master

I have no problem with the Sophia, or the DB9. I run both. I think both look good. I wonder about the rule that specifies how long the hood must be, and I really have a problem with the rule that says they must be front engine. International GT competition has all kinds of cars, examples of which can be purchased now, but can't be used. Why can't I run a 911, when there are more 911s racing around the world than any other kind of car? When there are good looking at least semi scale bodies available that can't be used because of rules, maybe it's time to change the rules.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #694
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

You cant run one at a ROAR event because nobody has submitted a Porsche 911 for approval. If somebody makes one and ROAR approves it, then you can run it...as far as your local track, Id talk to your race director about it and see how close he runs to ROAR rules and go from there
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #695
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
One the one hand

Lilacs are perfect on the rug for WGT, your results may vary if running on pavement ?
Lilacs work fine on ashpalt as long as you prep the tarmac. We blow it off with a leaf blower (gas powered backpack style), and spray with pop.

A harder front tire would be nice outdoors though, everyone i know tends to wear out the front much quicker then the rear (about twice as fast).

Shawn,
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #696
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If the track is prepped the Liliac will work. Just for your information our series(FSEARA) runs WGT with open tires and it's been ROAR santioned for 31 years.I made the rule when we started just because of the fact I did not want to make it a spec tire class.You can run any ROAR legal body. 99% of the drivers run Liliac (specs). One track we went to the traction was not there but with a simple change of front springs everything worked fine!
In about two weeks there will be another body by PF available. If you want to race a 962 get a RJSpeed body and the old Porsche GT1 renamed by PF.If you want to race the HPI bodies go to it. I cell is fine with the 13.5 blinky mode.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #697
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
You cant run one at a ROAR event because nobody has submitted a Porsche 911 for approval. If somebody makes one and ROAR approves it, then you can run it...as far as your local track, Id talk to your race director about it and see how close he runs to ROAR rules and go from there
You have either not read the rules or missed the point. ROAR rules specify front engine GTs only, and there is a rule mandating the length of the hood. No one has submitted a 911 because it is illegal under the rules as written. So are Lambos, Ferrari 430s and 458s. BMW M3s are illegal because the hood isn't long enough. Seems silly. At my track, we started running WGT, then a couple of TCs wanted to run, so we let them. More TCs came, now they have a class and won't let us run with them. So we only run once in a while. I haven't tried, but I doubt they would complain if I showed up with a 911, though personally I lean more to an Audi R8.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #698
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
imo. it's nice to know what to run, without ambiguity

12th scale tires are much cheaper, and smaller, so specing this class is not widely supported
1/10 tires cost a little more, but don't you find they last longer than a 1/12 tire? maybe i am cutting my 1/12 tires down too much or wgt tires not enough?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #699
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950 View Post
You have either not read the rules or missed the point. ROAR rules specify front engine GTs only, and there is a rule mandating the length of the hood. No one has submitted a 911 because it is illegal under the rules as written. So are Lambos, Ferrari 430s and 458s. BMW M3s are illegal because the hood isn't long enough. Seems silly. At my track, we started running WGT, then a couple of TCs wanted to run, so we let them. More TCs came, now they have a class and won't let us run with them. So we only run once in a while. I haven't tried, but I doubt they would complain if I showed up with a 911, though personally I lean more to an Audi R8.

Touche...although I looked it up and the Audi R8 LMS would not be approved either based on the first bullet point (its a mid-engine car according to the wikipedia article). the BMW Z4, would work, or the Ferrari 550, the Dodge Viper SRT, the Nissan GTR or the I believe already mentioned Mercedes Benz SLS AMG GT3.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #700
Tech Master

No one has mentioned the Mazda RX8, which I believe won its class at Daytona a few years back.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #701
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
No one has mentioned the Mazda RX8, which I believe won its class at Daytona a few years back.
Too bad Mazda stopped the rotary engine program.
RoyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #702
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I just want to see more choices of bodies! Only two choices that work is totally unacceptable

I hope someone out there is listening

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
gijoe64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #703
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

According to Protoform's RCTECH thread, there is a new WGT body being worked on. Check out their thread here - (http://www.rctech.net/forum/team-com...-bodies-5.html)
Old 03-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #704
Tech Regular

Just to prove that Gianna does exist...
Attached Thumbnails
World GT Body Debate Thread-gianna-teaser.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #705
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPF View Post
Just to prove that Gianna does exist...
Sa-Weet !

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote