R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #571
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Make a GT body like any in the pictures.Except the Porsche.If it's a mid engine body it should be okay. To bad you can't ask someone in ROAR- like the President?
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #572
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by academygaz View Post
Porsche 962? Audi R18? That would make the cars into scaled up 1/12th wedges. World GT is more for real-world Grand Touring cars, not prototypes. Porsche 911, not 962. Audi R8 not R18 etc. To allow wedges like a 962 would kill the class stone dead.
Actually, the Porsche 911 and Audi R8 are also not allowed in WorldGT in most places around the world, thanks to neither being front engined. As for scale looks, the Protoform Mulsanne body looks a lot more like the Porsche GT1 car it was based on compared to the Sophia.

There's always this assumption that any prototype body will be a wedge, yet there are already plenty of decent 1/10th pan car bodies around that look pretty good. A race full of Blade Racing Group C bodies would look much more interesting and scale like than what is currently being run in WorldGT. Any of the Tamiya LMP and Group C shells look good. Even the Protoform Mulsanne looks pretty good and shows they can make something reasonably scale. The PTI Racing shell looks pretty good as well, with having no kick up at the rear of the body just like the full size car.

As for performance, 12 years ago, when we started running Associated RC10L3T cars we had a free for all regarding bodies. While most ran Porsche GT1/Mulsanne bodies and various other GT shells, the fastest cars were running Dodge Stratus shells

1/12th will always end up with the wedge shape, thanks to having to fit the body over the rear pod and the relatively small wheel sizes. 1/10th has better proportions and doesn't have the same packaging problems. Personally I would love to run an Audi R18 or Toyota TS030 at my local club as we couldn't care less what sanctioned WorldGT races allow, they certainly look so much better than the jelly mould blob that's supposed to be an Alfa C8.

I find it hard to support an argument that LMP bodies would not be scale while the Sophia and Parma DB9 are allowed on the track.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #573
Tech Addict

Default F50 GT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Dicke View Post
Except the first three, none of the cars in your picture has the engine at the front.
There is now a Ferrari F50 GT1 body available for 200mm cars on Ebay from Team Bluegroove. Do a search.
Attached Thumbnails
World GT Body Debate Thread-tn.jpg  
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #574
Tech Master

Does no one ever look at the Ginetta range?
(They own Zytek)
G50 or G55 would be good.
Both front engined rear wheel drive.
And they have their own race series (runs as part of the BTCC package)
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #575
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado View Post
There is now a Ferrari F50 GT1 body available for 200mm cars on Ebay from Team Bluegroove. Do a search.
I have this body. It was made by the original Hot Bodies company way back before they were bought by HPI.

YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #576
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
(They own Zytek)
Googled it. Looks nice but it doesn't offer much change from what is already here. The car looks like a mix between the Sophia and the DB9.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #577
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
(They own Zytek)
If circumstances had been different the last year I would have done a G55 myself as several people were asking me to do it.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #578
Tech Adept

I would LOVE a Ginetta G55 shell, i know it is not too different from the sophia but then hopefully it should handle pretty much the same. This allows people to have their pick of a different shell without having to compromise on losing/gaining handling.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #579
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

More Seksie bodies!!
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #580
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epstn View Post
A bit off topic, but if you dont ask you get no answer.
I dont care about rules since we only are a few friends racing and we want to use 2S lipo on outdoor track of midium size and midium technical.

How many turns will be perfect in a WGT car?? 8.5t?? 10.5t??
I want it fast but still controlable...

And what about spur/pinion?? What sizes is recomended??

We also race 1:10 nitro touring and 1:12 with 4,5t.
17.5, 2S Lipo in a pan car is serious power; probably wouldn't go below 13.5, if you have low traction look out you just might smoke your tires!
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #581
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Actually, the Porsche 911 and Audi R8 are also not allowed in WorldGT in most places around the world, thanks to neither being front engined. As for scale looks, the Protoform Mulsanne body looks a lot more like the Porsche GT1 car it was based on compared to the Sophia.

There's always this assumption that any prototype body will be a wedge, yet there are already plenty of decent 1/10th pan car bodies around that look pretty good. A race full of Blade Racing Group C bodies[/URL] would look much more interesting and scale like than what is currently being run in WorldGT. Any of the Tamiya LMP and Group C shells look good. Even the Protoform Mulsanne looks pretty good and shows they can make something reasonably scale. The PTI Racing shell looks pretty good as well, with having no kick up at the rear of the body just like the full size car.

As for performance, 12 years ago, when we started running Associated RC10L3T cars we had a free for all regarding bodies. While most ran Porsche GT1/Mulsanne bodies and various other GT shells, the fastest cars were running Dodge Stratus shells

1/12th will always end up with the wedge shape, thanks to having to fit the body over the rear pod and the relatively small wheel sizes. 1/10th has better proportions and doesn't have the same packaging problems. Personally I would love to run an Audi R18 or Toyota TS030 at my local club as we couldn't care less what sanctioned WorldGT races allow, they certainly look so much better than the jelly mould blob that's supposed to be an Alfa C8.

I find it hard to support an argument that LMP bodies would not be scale while the Sophia and Parma DB9 are allowed on the track.

THANKS!! Terry.sc.... This is great information... Based on this and your previous post sounds like you've been doing this awhile.
I looked at the Blade bodies... I was trying to look more scale for example we make this 200m Nissan also ...

Also between Protoform, Parma, Blade and the others mentioned here, looks there are plenty of 200mm options. Would you agree??

As for the LMP cars.... I started them as a labor of love, I just love the look of these cars... One of my sons works for one of the manufactures so I've been up close and personal with many these cars and they are amazing!

I was making them 190mm for touring cars (the tamiya IFS chassis), but you are making me re-think this...Perhaps 200mm so they will fit both classes
Attached Thumbnails
World GT Body Debate Thread-r390-1sm.jpg  
ptiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #582
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptiracing View Post
Thanks everyone for your help on this..

It was not my intent to kill a class.... Seems like I got WGT wrong.. I thought it was about lower cost scale racing... I see now I was incorrect...
But, I must say its difficult for me to look at this body and think its a wedge body... But I see your point...

I only mentioned the R18 because ALMS was mentioned, but I see now they were referring to the GT classes. (We already make a 200mm Ford GT, but its mid engine and not legal)

trackdesigner71 -- Thanks for the suggestion.. I am very familiar with most of these classes....

Since I am more a prototype guy most of these bodies don't really appeal to me..

SO .. Let me open it up here on this thread...

What legal WGT body would you like to see?
Man PTI had some great 962 bodies for the Micro RS4! That mold blank looks awesome and I would love to get a 962 like that for my WGT car even if it is not a legal body

I'm with you and more of a prototype guy too...another one I'd really love to see are the current Daytona Prototypes as this year they are really nice and are starting to look more like the prototype cars of the past. Specifically the Corvette DTP would be awesome.

As for legal bodies...I'm not a real big fan of any of them but I'll run what I got to to race at the IIC.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #583
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post

I think LMP cars would still have a scale issue in the front where the body would lower than the front suspension arms but not so much a problem in the rear like the 1/12th cars.

As far as the DB9...I remember the debate that occurred back when the body came out...about it not being true to scale in appearance. But most people were comparing it to the previous model year of the real car which wasn't as curved as the newer one. When I put pics of the real current year car next to the Parma body on my computer it really looked quite good. The only problem that I have with the DB9 is that if you cut your tires small for carpet and cut the body at the cut lines then the body will be over 5mm too low.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #584
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Man PTI had some great 962 bodies for the Micro RS4! That mold blank looks awesome and I would love to get a 962 like that for my WGT car even if it is not a legal body

I'm with you and more of a prototype guy too...another one I'd really love to see are the current Daytona Prototypes as this year they are really nice and are starting to look more like the prototype cars of the past. Specifically the Corvette DTP would be awesome.

As for legal bodies...I'm not a real big fan of any of them but I'll run what I got to to race at the IIC.
InspGadgt-
THANKS!!! Yes, that body really worked well for its size...
I should have some 200mm 962's in a few weeks... I am making the tooling in such a way that I can offer 2 bodies, a pan car version and a TC version (with accommodation for the front shock tower)
Based on the feed back I've been getting I think I'm going to continue with scale bodies. If they're legal or not... If we get the support of the local clubs it may work this time.
After all that's the reason we started this years ago. There weren't that many real scale bodies on the market at that time... Since then Tamiya and HPI have done a good job at making some great scale bodies.
But there are still cars I want to make. So I'm going to keep plugging away.

Although I am still looking for a legal WGT body, so please keep the suggestions coming

The DP Corvette has been suggested before... While I like the car, I just don't think it will have the appeal in Europe. With the cost to produce a body its hard to turn my back on that many potential customers..

But I'll keep looking and listening, we'll see where we stand once the 962 is released.
Thanks again
ptiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #585
Tech Elite

Scale bodies look good but don't handle most of the time. I've been racing longer than most.Back in the dark ages when there was only 1/12 or 1/8. Many bodies were made for the 1/12th cars but the only body you ever saw was the associated TOJ. Yes there were many different bodies to choose from but you always went back to the TOJ. When GTP came out there was Andys-Bolink-Associated-Parma all making GTP's.The 962 and Mercedes was popular. When I started pushing the narrow pan cars (Now World GT) we had the Porsche GT1 now called the Musselem because of those peskey manufactures that want there money too. It ran great but to get people interested in WGT they went to GT.Look at the growing interest in USVTA with Vintage TA bodies and the other soon new class called USTA with current GT bodies.A good handling GT body will sell as I had two to three manfactures say that there will be more bodies out in 2012. The economy is bad and like any hobby investing in a new unproven body can be expensive. PTI if you want to talk just send me an e-mail.

* I can tell you I just received an E-mail about a Narrow (200mm) 962 in the works. Can not tell you any more sorry.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.

Last edited by BullFrog; 06-28-2012 at 12:57 PM.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote