R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #466
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Road vehicle based you say?

Was a special made for track use, then a road version made (25 of them) so it can be called a GT1, so not a true "road vehicle based" car.

There are actually over 100 Porsche 956/962 based cars that are made road legal, so they are easier to obtain, and cheaper than a GT1 Porsche or Merc.

If it were as simple as a body kit (McLaren GTR Long Body, Chevy Corvette) then that is ok, but once the motor is moved from original location then it is not road based.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #467
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
V12 if they did a body rule like you said eeryone would use the Mulsanne formerly the GT1 Porsche. As it would easly out handle everything. Now you could make this body a pro class and have everything else in another class.
i have a mulsanne and would like to run it
Old 12-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #468
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I donīt think it makes sense splitting this into 2 different classes, there are just not enough drivers for this. Infact during summer the 235mm pro10 class is stronger than the 200mm class here. For winter we just run 200mm class.

We donīt care if front, mid or rear motor also not if road or track based. As long as you limit the choice of bodies that much there is just the choice between Sophia and Mulsanne but I have seen people here using also HPI 911, McLaren F1GTR, Saleen, TRG Royce and others even at races when doorstop bodies were allowed. Some people race just for fun and so you could see some other bodies too.
Same is for cars some people make their own cars even using double wishbone frontend or using Tamiya F103 based cars so you could see a lot more than with the tight wgt rules. For some people itīs not that important being the fastest or whatever but having some room for their own creativity, skills and taste regarding cars and bodies. That is why we donīt care about the wgt rules.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #469
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I have a CRC Pantoura I acquired just for running in the GT class. I wouldnt mind seeing a few things opened up to make it a more widely accepted and universally run class.

But since this is a body debate discussion (I think there are a couple other discussions on the class as a whole if you do a little searching) Id like to see the body rules opened up a bit to allow more body choices. The 235s arent as prevalent in the States (except in some pockets) but I think that given the right rules that arent too restrictive but arent so wide open that we have the speed problems that led to its demise before, we could see both a 200mm and a 235 mm class coexist.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #470
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This really has been going on for awhile and I'll start to repeat myself.Race what you want with your group of racers- simple.The rules are simple to make the class grow. Nothing is growing right now like it was just 10 years ago.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #471
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
This really has been going on for awhile and I'll start to repeat myself.Race what you want with your group of racers- simple.The rules are simple to make the class grow. Nothing is growing right now like it was just 10 years ago.
The funny thing about something like that is that if you dont give people any structure, they are going to invariably develop a structure of their own anyway...I noticed that in many of my classes. In all of them there is no assigned seating...invariably though, by the end of the third week, everybody has their regular seat they sit in and the same group of people they sit around and its about as good as having assigned seating...

If you let people run whatever body they want, invariably (as has become the case here) youre going to end up with one or two bodies that everybody ends up running (Touring Car and WGT are the most recognizable examples of that). Itd be nice to see a level of variety similar to LMS or Speed World Challenge on the RC level
Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #472
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

im not interested in turning this into 12th scale.. the bodies are fine but i wouldnt mind more diversity.. if that means less performance with more realism,that'd be fine by me.. the problem right now is that if anybody runs one of the 3 "racing" bodies currently available, they'd have a clear advantage over someone running something more realistic like an hpi mustang... truth be told pancars do like a bit of downforce though..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #473
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
im not interested in turning this into 12th scale.. the bodies are fine but i wouldnt mind more diversity.. if that means less performance with more realism,that'd be fine by me.. the problem right now is that if anybody runs one of the 3 "racing" bodies currently available, they'd have a clear advantage over someone running something more realistic like an hpi mustang... truth be told pancars do like a bit of downforce though..
these two statements together are the rub at this point...you want to be able to have a greater variety among the bodies (like seeing a Mustang GTR or a Corvette C6 or a Porsche 911 or any myriad of other bodies that have been mentioned outside of the "racing" bodies, but at the same time pan cars do like to be very close to the ground and running with as much front downforce as possible. Im not saying that performance needs to be legislated out of the class and that those slammed bodies like the Sophia and the DB9 need to be outlawed though
Old 12-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #474
Tech Master

What stops you from buying a "realistic" body and go on the track?
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #475
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
What stops you from buying a "realistic" body and go on the track?
hahahaha winning of coarse....

Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #476
Tech Master

But he will look good while doing it
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #477
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
hahahaha winning of coarse....

Which is the point. Most people will always choose the body that people say "handles the best". Doesn't matter the class. So it's kind of a moot point. Just make the Lola/962 style bodies illegal and leave the rest open. In competitive classes there will never be a huge assortment of bodies. It just won't happen. I don't have an issue with someone running a Mazda 6 body on a WGT, or the whole class being sophias as long as it's got racers, its competitive and fun.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #478
Tech Elite

id give up some performance to gain more bodies in the class, just not to the point of the cars simply being sloppy.. these are not touring cars, if you put one of those nice tamiya bodies loaded with realism on a pancar, it simply wont drive... see you got the wrong guy in this argument.. i would drive anything almost no matter how it drove so long as it was "competitive"...

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #479
Tech Elite

well the thing that bums me is that HPI is the one who tends to make realistic bodies that can be competitive (if you look at the original WGT rules almost all the bodies on the original list were HPI...trouble is that almost every one of the HPI bodies that was on the original list is out of stock or discontinued so unless HPI decides to make another run of those they wont be available.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:22 AM   #480
Tech Master

If i'm not mistaken, the original list was created in 2009... soon to be 2 years old, give or take.

Maybe an update is order? Even if it is just a guideline for people to tweak for their local racers.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote