Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT Body Debate Thread >

World GT Body Debate Thread

World GT Body Debate Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too wanted to replace my Corvette body only to find that Protoform discontinued it. Couldn't find one searching shops so I popped for the DB9. Now I'm glad I did, the car feels planted although there isn't a lot of room under the front fenders to slam the body.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My local track has open bodies, but I was thinking that the HPI 911 GT3 RS would be a decent world gt body. I mean its raced in pretty much every GT class around the world. Handling wise I dunno though.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tunerjetta29
My local track has open bodies, but I was thinking that the HPI 911 GT3 RS would be a decent world gt body. I mean its raced in pretty much every GT class around the world. Handling wise I dunno though.

Tried this body acouple of years ago, and the rear wing is not big enough.Its a great looking body, but it cant compete with the Sophia. Maybe if you convince everyone to run it, you could have your own Porsche Cup!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 AM
V12
Tech Elite

I have seen this 911 body at a race on a large 1/8th track where it really worked very well. But the rear wing was replaced with a much larger one.
I have no clue what brand this rear wing was but this one looked like it was made for a 911.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:58 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Still Bill
I am digging into the back of my mind and hopefully remembering most of a discussion a some of us had at the 2009 IIC with Todd of Protoform about the fate of the Gianna...

Todd said that with the economy being up in the air so much; he was not going to produce another WGT body that would only compete with his then widely used Sophia. At the time, Todd felt that the Sophia was superior to his competitor's current body offerings. He was also very forthright about letting us know that developing a new body shell costs him a ton of money.

Bill
Who is this Todd? From my knowledge Dale Epp is Mr. Protoform or has this changed in the meantime?

Regarding that unreleased Gianna, on what real car is this based? Some time ago I heard something as Maserati but donīt know if this is real.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Todd Matson (sp?) president of proline?

Anyway, if WGT was opened up to mid engine bodies, there would be a lot more to choose from. Right now its only front engine/rear drive.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by V12
Who is this Todd? From my knowledge Dale Epp is Mr. Protoform or has this changed in the meantime?

Regarding that unreleased Gianna, on what real car is this based? Some time ago I heard something as Maserati but donīt know if this is real.
The Gianna was intented to be patterned after the Maserati GT or GTS. It's not going to happen unless WGT gets more widely accepted.

As far as the Corvette being discontinued, It's an obsolete body originally designed to fit touring cars, and wasn't altered enough to match the other WGT bodies that were purpose built for the class. You really have to hack it up a lot to slam it as much as the other bodies (for performance) and then it looks kind of cool but way out of proportion. Discontinuing it at least leaves the remote hope that it will be replaced someday with a WGT specific body
Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
Tried this body acouple of years ago, and the rear wing is not big enough.Its a great looking body, but it cant compete with the Sophia. Maybe if you convince everyone to run it, you could have your own Porsche Cup!
Creating or modifying the wing to create downforce is relatively easy. Ill have to test it out and see what I can come up with. I think one factor that is making people debate running WGT is the lack of bodies. Its almost like TC's now where everyone runs a stratus or mazda 6. WGT you only have 3 choices?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When I first started trying to promote this class in Florida we ran several different types of bodies. I started this way before it was even called WGT- we just called in Narrow pan cars. We first started with the protoform GT1 now called Musselem (sorry about the spelling). The following year we outlawed that body and allowed any GT body. I used the HPI Mercedes DTM- Opel and others used the Supra and Mustang Saleen. Now if a club or race director wants to use any GT body why not- you need all the racers you can get nowadays.Just post it and run them.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

I looked up the mid-engine cars on Wikipedia and here are a few that Id like to see attempted if they were allowed in the rules:

Ascari KZ1R (British GT)
Ferrari F430 (Various series)
Mosler MT900R (various series)
Lotus Exige (various series)
Spyker C8 (Le Mans Series)
Maserati MC12 (FIA GT1...and yeah I know the Gianna was gonna be based off this one)
Old 12-24-2010, 04:46 AM
V12
Tech Elite

This Maserati MC12 is a body which a lot of drivers would like here including me.
Actually there is an Italian manufacturer who makes this body already but unfortunately this body just looks good but donīt seem working. Maybe it needs someone as Protoform for making a working version of this Maserati.

For now Iīm glad we have quite open rules and not the WGT rules. Until now this means also the "doorstop" bodies are allowed what will change after the winter season. Then we will have a new body rule what means any GT, LM or something (without touring cars) what is using a seperate wing so this means the end of the doorstop bodies but you will have a much larger choice than world gt. This means you could run Sophia but also Mulsanne or McLaren F1 GTR, Saleen or Porsche 911 or anything you want in this direction.
A body rule like this could attract some more drivers as there are drivers who donīt want the absolute fastest body but one they like personally.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

V12 if they did a body rule like you said eeryone would use the Mulsanne formerly the GT1 Porsche. As it would easly out handle everything. Now you could make this body a pro class and have everything else in another class.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

A simple wording:
"Road Vehicle Based"
That outlaws the Mulsanne cos the motor in the Porsche 911 GT1 was moved from rear to mid mount, so is not a true 911 base (more a 962 base).
Same applies to the Mercedes CLK GTI, motor moved from front to mid.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NiMo
A simple wording:
"Road Vehicle Based"
That outlaws the Mulsanne cos the motor in the Porsche 911 GT1 was moved from rear to mid mount, so is not a true 911 base (more a 962 base).
Same applies to the Mercedes CLK GTI, motor moved from front to mid.
Road vehicle based you say?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BullFrog
V12 if they did a body rule like you said eeryone would use the Mulsanne formerly the GT1 Porsche. As it would easly out handle everything. Now you could make this body a pro class and have everything else in another class.
I usually run my L2 but on one of our national this year i ran my db10rr 200mm car just to see how it would go. I used a sophia body, a body people say doesn't work on big 1//8 tracks. There was one other 200mm car wich was a RC10L3T widend to 200mm who drove a Mulsanne body. The rest were 235mm cars with lemans bodies. We all ran together on a 1/8 track. (no special rules here only 10.5t and 2s class, 200mm and 235mm run together wich looks really awesome).

To my amazement I could hang with the Mulsanne car and the wide cars with no problems when i finaly hit the sweetspot with my setup. The wide cars seem to have some very slight benefits in the long fast sweeper but in the slower corners a 200mm car rotates just a fraction faster, at least that is what i noticed and felt like. All in all nothing to worry about and pretty equal.

First final i was at last place as someone bumped me of the track at the first sweeper but the second final i ended up on second place. The car was simply on rails with the sophia body.

So to make a point: I really think you can make any body work with the right setup and modification.
(at least with a 10.5t and 2s lipo)

The sophia was cut 3-4mm under the cutout line to allow bigger front wheels and the backwing was 4-5mm higher then the cutout line to allow just a little more downforce.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 12-24-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.