R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #256
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulec52 View Post
It's as easy to find as NASCAR !
yet that doesn't seem to bother anyone too much.
NASCAR has their own bodystyle and so the lexan bodies look like the cars that already race.

we want bodies that look like the cars that run in GT races.

so it doesn't bother them because they already look the part.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to stulec52 Send a message via AIM to stulec52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
NASCAR has their own bodystyle and so the lexan bodies look like the cars that already race.

we want bodies that look like the cars that run in GT races.

so it doesn't bother them because they already look the part.

no, no, no, I mean NASCAR cars look nothing like the real cars they are supposed to represent.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #258
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
That sounds a tad on the conceited side od. I think that if somebody wants to run a Camaro body in World GT for the realism (and if it works for them then hey it works for them) then Id say hey put it on and run it. If somebody wants to run a Corvette C6 (side note: the Corvette has been the only car running in ALMS GT1 for about the last couple seasons and they are going to switch to GT2 later in the year). Its not like if somebody doesnt run the Parma DB-9 or the Sophia that they shouldnt run in this class. I think what everybody is saying that is on the realism side of this is that people ought to be able to see somebody running and have an idea of what kind of car it is. Not everybody knows an Aston Martin DB-9 (unless they have been a fan of full size car racing in the last couple years) and Im really sure not many people know what an Alfa Romeo 8C is, but they know Corvette and Camaro, and Mustang and Saleen.

Me personally I want to run a Corvette C6 painted up like one of the FIA GT Corvettes, does that mean I shouldnt run it in WGT?
You misunderstood my post and the discussion going on here. I don't care if someone runs a body from the approved body list and details it to look like a 1:1 race car; there are a bunch on the list that would fill this bill, like the Corvette, and that's not my call anyway. What you apparently missed is that some of the proponents of the realistic body idea want to disallow the race bodies on the list and change the class to something it is not. I don't want to change the class, just keep it as it is. Harry is on the opposite side of this discussion, and I think he is wrong, so I give him a bad time. Hopefully he won't find out where I live <---big grin at Harry. You get a --->

Last edited by odpurple; 03-23-2009 at 12:25 AM.
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #259
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
You misunderstood my post and the discussion going on here. I don't care if someone runs a body from the approved body list and details it to look like a 1:1 race car; there are a bunch on the list that would fill this bill, like the Corvette, and that's not my call anyway. What you apparently missed is that some of the proponents of the realistic body idea want to disallow the race bodies on the list and change the class to something it is not. I don't want to change the class, just keep it as it is. Harry is on the opposite side of this discussion, and I think he is wrong, so I give him a bad time. Hopefully he won't find out where I live <---big grin at Harry. You get a --->
Wait what?? NOOO!! I am on the side of realism!!!

*sssssnnnnniiiifffffffffff* Ahhh...markers....

Speaking of which, there is a very decent driver at my track, we call him komkit, that actually drove the Sophia GT (my car) and the Corvette C6R (another person's car). This driver, the komkit, actually did MUCH better times on the Corvette C6R than the Sophia GT. Both cars are setup to our track. Both cars were pan cars. Both cars are running spec tires.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #260
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Wait what?? NOOO!! I am on the side of realism!!!

*sssssnnnnniiiifffffffffff* Ahhh...markers....

Speaking of which, there is a very decent driver at my track, we call him komkit, that actually drove the Sophia GT (my car) and the Corvette C6R (another person's car). This driver, the komkit, actually did MUCH better times on the Corvette C6R than the Sophia GT. Both cars are setup to our track. Both cars were pan cars. Both cars are running spec tires.
So,
does that not tell us that this is an non issue as racers will soon find out the bodies that work better also happen to be the ones that are the most realistic?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post

Noted od...i must have misunderstood what you were getting at. I thought that you were saying that if people wanted to run realistic bodies they shouldnt run them at all in WGT. The race bodies that we have Im all for, I just want to see the potential roadblocks to the growth of the class removed one by one so all we have to worry about it getting out and racing and what I spent on equipment for the class doesnt turn out to be a waste on my part
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #262
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
no, no, no, I mean NASCAR cars look nothing like the real cars they are supposed to represent.
yeah, I know what you meant. The lexan bodies look like the cars that race on the oval tracks, so my point still stands.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
So,
does that not tell us that this is an non issue as racers will soon find out the bodies that work better also happen to be the ones that are the most realistic?
Just proving a point. I am just waiting for the nay-sayers to retort with a comment. Then I will record the results on video. Then I think it will be the end of it.

Now mind you, my car has a 17.5 Tekin Redline, boosted to 12 degrees and 2S LiPo. My fellow racer's car has a 13.5 with 4 cell NiMH and no boost.

That should say a lot.

Now, that MacAllister Prototype Daytona GT body looks VERY promising. It has a slightly raised front end for downforce and the rear end flows like water to the wing for better rear traction. It is an absolute beauty. I just wish it was 200mm.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #264
Tech Elite

Quote:
yeah, I know what you meant. The lexan bodies look like the cars that race on the oval tracks, so my point still stands.
My point is that NASCAR cars don't look like the 'real' cars they are supposed to look like, yet it does not put off the thousands of NASCAR fans.

I still think all that needs to happen is a governing body, be they ROAR, BRCA, IFMAR, whoever, just need to commit to paper a dozen or so bodies we can choose from, then we just get on with it.

Up here in Western Canada, we will wait to see how this develops, then come August/September time we'll give the racers a few bodies to choose from, and hopefully that will be from a list out there already, if not we'll make one up from input from our series racers.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:33 AM   #265
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
My point is that NASCAR cars don't look like the 'real' cars they are supposed to look like, yet it does not put off the thousands of NASCAR fans.
Do the lexan bodies look like the cars that race on the oval tracks like talladega super speedway and daytona international speedway? yes. or. no.

BTW: I used to live where you live and now live one timezone west.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #266
Tech Elite

Quote:
Do the lexan bodies look like the cars that race on the oval tracks like talladega super speedway and daytona international speedway? yes. or. no.

BTW: I used to live where you live and now live one timezone west.
Cool !

as for the lexan bodies being like the Nascar cars, they do indeed look like them, but a Nascar Ford does not look like the Ford you can buy at a Ford dealer.

Mind you, if we want to talk about a lexan body not looking like anything at all, we need only look at 8th scale buggies, yet that class seems popular enough.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #267
Tech Master

Think I will modify this 2008 Tamiya Mini for GT use
I will shorten the roof by 3"
lengthen the bonnet (hood) by 5"
extend the bulge on the boot by 2"
fit a roof height wing on to this bulge
Lower the roof by 1"
flare the wheel arches by 1" each side

Yes I can see it, this M-Chassis Mini WILL fit my 200mm pan car
and I can still see a Mini in there somewhere

NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #268
Suspended

Quote:
Cool !

as for the lexan bodies being like the Nascar cars, they do indeed look like them, but a Nascar Ford does not look like the Ford you can buy at a Ford dealer.

Mind you, if we want to talk about a lexan body not looking like anything at all, we need only look at 8th scale buggies, yet that class seems popular enough.
Truth be told, sitting side-by-side the nascar bodies haven't looked like the road versions since the mid to late-90s. I also think tracks have seen a decrease in 1/8th buggy entries.

I guess my whole worry about the apparent trend this class is quickly taking is that the cars are going away from what I would term "true door-slammers" into one that encompasses bodies that are aero-based. So instead of a bevy of options occupying a field that we'll soon be back to the old pan car days of running just one or two can-am or gtp-style bodies.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #269
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Hey looking at FIA GT and ALMS and Grand Am and all the different GT racing series in the world, here is kinda a survey sort of question:

What car in real life racing that isnt already a RC body would you like to see turned into a body for WGT? I know itll take some time but what would you guys like to see?
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #270
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Hey looking at FIA GT and ALMS and Grand Am and all the different GT racing series in the world, here is kinda a survey sort of question:

What car in real life racing that isnt already a RC body would you like to see turned into a body for WGT? I know itll take some time but what would you guys like to see?
A proper Aston Martin DBR9 (Kyosho version seems impossible to get)
Ginetta G50Z (front engined rear wheel drive)
Panoz Esperante (front engined rear wheel drive)
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote