R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #151
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 649
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kwik View Post
The idea of WGT has always been about putting a simple car on the track that people can drive. The more aero the better in my opinion, we are controlling the raw speed with the motor and battery limits.
I actually agree with Rick on this one.

If people want to put a bunch of downforce in the cars they should either be running PRO10 or working to update the rules for PRO10 to fit the new cars and have reasonable bodies.

The Protoform Mulsanne body is SWEET. If you want downforce and a car that looks more reasonable than what we had in Pro10 before (and 12th now) make some rules and go race.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #152
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kwik View Post
Hi Rick,

I don't think you could be more off-base with that statement. The reason modified is too fast is completely different than why people want aerodynamics in WGT.

The idea of WGT has always been about putting a simple car on the track that people can drive. The more aero the better in my opinion, we are controlling the raw speed with the motor and battery limits. Why on earth should we make these cars harder to drive? Are you proposing we make everything as difficult as mod and have the only 12 people on earth who can do it race while the rest of us watch?

Sounds like tons of fun...

I guess in the end, if you want to race models then WGT isn't for you. Why are we still debating this? If you don't like it, move on. Lots of people don't care for dirt or oval but I don't see threads popping up about how we can make oval cars turn right so that 10% of the RC Tech population can be happy about something.

Nick
As mentioned, the World GT drivers I have spoken with feel that the cars are HARDER to drive with more aero. I am not sure about others, but the corners are the hard part of the track for me. I do pretty good on the straights. Increase corner speeds and you increase the difficulty in my opinion.

Unrealistic bodies and the faster speeds that come along with them plus the push for 2S LiPo sends the class in the same direction as mod touring. It won't take long before they become difficult to drive for the majority.

I care about this class because I have a long term interest in the R/C racing hobby. To be honest, R/C cars don't interest me at all. But RACING R/C cars is awesome (on-road in particular). I want racing to continue in an industry where it is becoming less and less of a priority to manufacturers and the media.

World GT has the potential to become the next TC or Slash but I think that taking away realism so early in the game will result in self-destruction before it has even left the ground.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #153
Tech Elite
 
Maybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,109
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kwik View Post
Hi Rick,

I don't think you could be more off-base with that statement. The reason modified is too fast is completely different than why people want aerodynamics in WGT.

The idea of WGT has always been about putting a simple car on the track that people can drive. The more aero the better in my opinion, we are controlling the raw speed with the motor and battery limits. Why on earth should we make these cars harder to drive? Are you proposing we make everything as difficult as mod and have the only 12 people on earth who can do it race while the rest of us watch?

Sounds like tons of fun...

I guess in the end, if you want to race models then WGT isn't for you. Why are we still debating this? If you don't like it, move on. Lots of people don't care for dirt or oval but I don't see threads popping up about how we can make oval cars turn right so that 10% of the RC Tech population can be happy about something.

Nick
I have driven my WGT car with the popular Vette and Silvia bodies. The car is the easiest onroad car I have ever driven. There is no need to run them with any "high downforce" bodies. Lets keep them looking like real sportscars so they are appealing to new racers.
__________________
Sean Maybell - Team Associated Region 11 Administrator

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #154
Tech Elite
 
HarryN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
As mentioned, the World GT drivers I have spoken with feel that the cars are HARDER to drive with more aero. I am not sure about others, but the corners are the hard part of the track for me. I do pretty good on the straights. Increase corner speeds and you increase the difficulty in my opinion.

Unrealistic bodies and the faster speeds that come along with them plus the push for 2S LiPo sends the class in the same direction as mod touring. It won't take long before they become difficult to drive for the majority.

I care about this class because I have a long term interest in the R/C racing hobby. To be honest, R/C cars don't interest me at all. But RACING R/C cars is awesome (on-road in particular). I want racing to continue in an industry where it is becoming less and less of a priority to manufacturers and the media.

World GT has the potential to become the next TC or Slash but I think that taking away realism so early in the game will result in self-destruction before it has even left the ground.
Well written words. I agree to a certain extent. That certain extent is with LiPo. Ever since my track adopted the LiPo + 17.5 combo, not only did my car remain simple to drive, but I got more speed and run time as well. And this is using the Corvette body from Protoform. It really works well.

Everything else you mentioned I am 100% on-board.
__________________
Car(s): Team Losi 22 1/10 Buggy, Team Losi 22 1/10 Stadium Truck
Motors/Engines: SP 13.5 v1.0, SP 17.5 v3.0 x2, RevTech 7.5
Radio: Spektrum DX3R, DX3S
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #155
Tech Regular
 
johnnywhopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rome, NY
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
As mentioned, the World GT drivers I have spoken with feel that the cars are HARDER to drive with more aero. I am not sure about others, but the corners are the hard part of the track for me. I do pretty good on the straights. Increase corner speeds and you increase the difficulty in my opinion.

Unrealistic bodies and the faster speeds that come along with them plus the push for 2S LiPo sends the class in the same direction as mod touring. It won't take long before they become difficult to drive for the majority.

I care about this class because I have a long term interest in the R/C racing hobby. To be honest, R/C cars don't interest me at all. But RACING R/C cars is awesome (on-road in particular). I want racing to continue in an industry where it is becoming less and less of a priority to manufacturers and the media.

World GT has the potential to become the next TC or Slash but I think that taking away realism so early in the game will result in self-destruction before it has even left the ground.
i agree with most everything in this post except the part about 2S LiPo. There's no reason we couldn't be running 2S w/ 21.5 motors. It's all but exactly the same speed as 4 cell 13.5. I know of a few tracks that let these two different power plants compete against each other in oval and one doesn't dominate over the other. Round cells are a dying breed and we're limiting entries at the races by not letting lipo guys enter.
__________________
Team CRC, Spektrum, Hobbywing, JDJ Vinyl Graphics, Moby Graphix, Black Art, Power Push
johnnywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #156
Tech Regular
 
flyingm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: flagstaff, az
Posts: 317
Default

If I can ask your indulgence for a moment, I'd like to try to shed some light on the body situation from a manufacturer's point of view.

There are two types of manufacturers, the large ones such as Tamiya, Kyosho, HPI, etc., who make complete cars and have a huge world wide marketing strategy.....and there's the smaller manufacturers who make accessory products, of which McAllister Racing is the latter.

The larger companies do as they please and do make very realistic, even scale car reproductions. Their body lines are primarily support for their car kits. Due to their marketing and budget abilities, they will sell bajillions of what ever they make and don't have to be terribly concerned about the RC racers in the world. We are actually a very small segment of RC car sales.

On the other hand the smaller companies have to be more agressive with their products to compete in the racer market. If we can make a better handling body yet keep the basic look intended for a particular class, that will probably sell more product. That's how we stay in business...sometimes.

Add in the fact that there are no organizations running RC events that acurately regulate the body shapes, and you have a very difficult situation for the manufacturers to deal with. As you can see from this thread, hardly any two people agree on anything, so it's very difficult for us to know what to do or which way to go. So we usually have to rely on our best judgement, design wise, to compete in the market place.

Therefore, don't expect a clear solution to this problem any time soon. It's difficult to get a single club to agree on body rules, let alone a national concensus, and forget a world wide agreement.

The only real solution would be pick a few body styles for a class...have one manufacturer create the molds...have all other manufactrers back pour those molds and sales would be determined by marketing abilities. Of course that will never happen, so for now it will all be done on a subjective basis of personal taste by whom ever is organizing the events.

Don't mean to sound negative, it's just the way it is and has been for the 30 years I've been involved. Not to worry, we'll still keep racing...and debating...that's just our competitive nature.

Gary McAllister
McAllister Racing
flyingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #157
Tech Elite
 
HarryN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,009
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingm View Post
If I can ask your indulgence for a moment, I'd like to try to shed some light on the body situation from a manufacturer's point of view.

There are two types of manufacturers, the large ones such as Tamiya, Kyosho, HPI, etc., who make complete cars and have a huge world wide marketing strategy.....and there's the smaller manufacturers who make accessory products, of which McAllister Racing is the latter.

The larger companies do as they please and do make very realistic, even scale car reproductions. Their body lines are primarily support for their car kits. Due to their marketing and budget abilities, they will sell bajillions of what ever they make and don't have to be terribly concerned about the RC racers in the world. We are actually a very small segment of RC car sales.

On the other hand the smaller companies have to be more agressive with their products to compete in the racer market. If we can make a better handling body yet keep the basic look intended for a particular class, that will probably sell more product. That's how we stay in business...sometimes.

Add in the fact that there are no organizations running RC events that acurately regulate the body shapes, and you have a very difficult situation for the manufacturers to deal with. As you can see from this thread, hardly any two people agree on anything, so it's very difficult for us to know what to do or which way to go. So we usually have to rely on our best judgement, design wise, to compete in the market place.

Therefore, don't expect a clear solution to this problem any time soon. It's difficult to get a single club to agree on body rules, let alone a national concensus, and forget a world wide agreement.

The only real solution would be pick a few body styles for a class...have one manufacturer create the molds...have all other manufactrers back pour those molds and sales would be determined by marketing abilities. Of course that will never happen, so for now it will all be done on a subjective basis of personal taste by whom ever is organizing the events.

Don't mean to sound negative, it's just the way it is and has been for the 30 years I've been involved. Not to worry, we'll still keep racing...and debating...that's just our competitive nature.

Gary McAllister
McAllister Racing
Hey Gary,

Great response! However, from what I counted, there are more than "any two people" that agree on realistic bodies because they feel that realism should be maintained as "originally assumed".

We've heard one underlying reason why realistic bodies are not recommended by Protoform and Parma (for example). That reason was because of the tire diameters. They are not made to scale with 1:1 cars.

What some of us are saying is that we enjoy the class because it is easier to drive and we can simulate real cars that are raced in Le Mans, GP, etc. We're just worried that the doorstop bodies are going to be the only way to compete and will ultimately ruin the uniqueness of this class, similar to VTA. Where VTA is about cars of the yesteryears, WGT is with cars of today. We're worried of the class turning into a Doorstop cheese-wedge blob class. We like being able to recognize our cars. We like being able to race cars that we are fans of with the 1:1 cars (but obviously can never afford ).
__________________
Car(s): Team Losi 22 1/10 Buggy, Team Losi 22 1/10 Stadium Truck
Motors/Engines: SP 13.5 v1.0, SP 17.5 v3.0 x2, RevTech 7.5
Radio: Spektrum DX3R, DX3S
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #158
Tech Master
 
JCarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dayton,OH
Posts: 1,244
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Been reading and soaking in all the sides of this debate. I am on the side of a little more realism. From a club racer standpoint, from looking at the pics that Mr. Epp put on here of his car versus the full size, and the other cars that have been in the mix the problem for me lies in the area infront of the front tires. It looks like this area on all the bodies in question is overly stretched and that's what gives it that "doorstop" look. I know that is probably to get the amount of front downforce that they are looking for, but that is the area that really messes these cars up for me. Is there not another way to get the downforce without stretching that area so much?
__________________
Gorilla Size Racing

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #159
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,833
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
As mentioned, the World GT drivers I have spoken with feel that the cars are HARDER to drive with more aero. I am not sure about others, but the corners are the hard part of the track for me. I do pretty good on the straights. Increase corner speeds and you increase the difficulty in my opinion.

Unrealistic bodies and the faster speeds that come along with them plus the push for 2S LiPo sends the class in the same direction as mod touring. It won't take long before they become difficult to drive for the majority.

I care about this class because I have a long term interest in the R/C racing hobby. To be honest, R/C cars don't interest me at all. But RACING R/C cars is awesome (on-road in particular). I want racing to continue in an industry where it is becoming less and less of a priority to manufacturers and the media.

World GT has the potential to become the next TC or Slash but I think that taking away realism so early in the game will result in self-destruction before it has even left the ground.
Rick....have you looked at RCGT??? http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2008121201/

They are getting huge entry counts at races in Cali.

I personally like the idea of the WGT class. I just think the way in-which it came about was flawed a little. If the class would have been like RCGT or VTA where you use existing 4wd sedans that people already own it might be even bigger. As soon as I saw these WGT car prices at 300 dollars I was shocked. To me it seemed more logical to get this class going with 4WD sedans because they work on all surfaces and used ones can be had for cheap.......one of the reasons that VTA has been so big in some areas. Plus the use of Lipo in Sedans was becoming the norm. Now WGT is at a cross roads....you have companies that spent time and money on 4cell chassis that now look like they need to re-tool for lipo's....plus this body debate. There wasn't much forethought on that part of the rules other then a few manufacturers that did think about this when they made their cars for this class.

Either way the RCGT class might be more what you are talking about and they are not limited to what bodies you can use because you need to make the car work. RCGT is really what racing was like when Sedans first started to get big…..scale looking bodies….slower speeds. TC has gotten way out of control as far as speed goes. The slower classes seem to be gaining ground every where…..17.5 1/12th scale…..VTA....17.5 foam. Why is that…….??? Maybe its because the cars are more controllable for 90% of the racers out there.
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....15th year running 2017/18!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #160
Tech Master
 
timmay70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,701
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I disagree with that comment. This class had been given as much thought as VTA was. Have you looked at the VTA scene lately? It has it's growing pains, and lack of limitations has the POTENTIAL to kill that class as well. Why is it that you can go to the classifieds section of this very forum and find X-ray 009 chassis fully outfitted and being sold specifically for VTA. That is a $500+ sedan chassis. It definitely doesn't fit in with the intent of the class. IMO on that one is that it should be plastic tub chassis only. At some point, most sedan mfgs had a plastic tub chassis, and those are the only ones that should be allowed.

Back on topic, the WGT chassis out there are full blooded race chassis. Not much else is needed to have a chassis that will compete at the top level that is being competed at now. Most chassis are street priced well under $300. Lowest street priced sedans? The Losi JRSX-R, well above $300 at my LHS. Because you had sticker shock is A direct relation to the crappy economy and the fact that carbon fiber is in high demand by the military to the point that there is shortages. This drives up prices, as does the exchange rate for the other components required to complete kits.
__________________
Speed Merchant Rev7, Tekin, TQ Racing (wire), Team Tamale
RC Excitement - Buy where you race, support your local tracks.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #161
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
Good to hear the 911 handled, guess it must have been a slow course as we have found them to go very light on the rear at speed.
I believe the carpet was Nylon and they had Nitro's running so speeds were 'very slow'.

GT10's at the Autosports show UK
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #162
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I believe the carpet was Nylon and they had Nitro's running so speeds were 'very slow'.

GT10's at the Autosports show UK
Didn't realise it was from the Autosports show, cos they told the drivers to keep speeds down and drive together to make it look good for the spectators, the organisers didn't want to see cars crashing every 4 yards.

I am still tempted to run that PF NasTruck shell, and yes I do have one
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #163
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,578
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
Didn't realise it was from the Autosports show, cos they told the drivers to keep speeds down and drive together to make it look good for the spectators, the organisers didn't want to see cars crashing every 4 yards.

I am still tempted to run that PF NasTruck shell, and yes I do have one
I'll get my passport ready. I'd like to go race anywhere I can run slow.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #164
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,833
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I believe the carpet was Nylon and they had Nitro's running so speeds were 'very slow'.

GT10's at the Autosports show UK
IMO this looks cool when the cars are all painted to look like real race cars....not flames, drips and spikes. Also the cars look to be under control not out there at mach 1 blowing out all over the track because they are too fast.


Quote:
Why is it that you can go to the classifieds section of this very forum and find X-ray 009 chassis fully outfitted and being sold specifically for VTA. That is a $500+ sedan chassis. It definitely doesn't fit in with the intent of the class. IMO on that one is that it should be plastic tub chassis only. At some point, most sedan mfgs had a plastic tub chassis, and those are the only ones that should be allowed.
No I agree this wasn't what the class was intended for....but at the same time anyone can use that same Sedan to run it in another class if VTA goes away.....the same cant be said for WGT. Yes most of the WGT cars are now below the 300 dollar mark and that's good to see as well. I also agree that VTA has had and does have its growing pains all new classes do....but you didn't have companies go out and design new chassis to run just in that class....it used an existing chassis platform and built from that which I think is a plus. Either way if WGT cars looking like a Door stop or looking like a Real GT car get more people into racing and keeps them here then I all for either way.
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....15th year running 2017/18!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #165
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
As mentioned, the World GT drivers I have spoken with feel that the cars are HARDER to drive with more aero. I am not sure about others, but the corners are the hard part of the track for me. I do pretty good on the straights. Increase corner speeds and you increase the difficulty in my opinion.

World GT has the potential to become the next TC or Slash but I think that taking away realism so early in the game will result in self-destruction before it has even left the ground.
I agree, and what this discussion reminds me of are the earlier days of pan car racing when 1/10ths jumped onto the scene.
At the time there were three total bodies that worked (including the original TOJ) and every other aero-body that was designed around some current Nissan GTP body or something didn't work worth a damn.
To me it was just proof that everything from 1:1 didn't transfer down to our smaller scale RC cars.

We also staged a race once in which we had to run TransAm-style bodies, anything that was remotely modeled off a doors-smaller, so there were a lot of Mustangs and Corvettes and Camaros and Chargers and I'd be willing to bet it had the biggest fan interest (walkers-by that stopped and stayed watching for more than a fleeting second) of any race I ever attended.
Why? We asked. It was because the cars looked like what they drove.



Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
I disagree with that comment. This class had been given as much thought as VTA was. Have you looked at the VTA scene lately? It has it's growing pains, and lack of limitations has the POTENTIAL to kill that class as well. Why is it that you can go to the classifieds section of this very forum and find X-ray 009 chassis fully outfitted and being sold specifically for VTA. That is a $500+ sedan chassis. It definitely doesn't fit in with the intent of the class. IMO on that one is that it should be plastic tub chassis only. At some point, most sedan mfgs had a plastic tub chassis, and those are the only ones that should be allowed.
Agreed also.
I think the VTA could have a bigger following if it weren't for the fact that people feel pressured to have the latest and greatest platform to compete, it's not hard to figure out what the fast guys have, and to me it would have more of a vintage feel if the cars would actually have to be vintage instead of just looking vintage.
The only thing vintage about the class now is the bodies.
But if people had somewhere in which they could throw down their old tub chassis TCs, and not feel they were being outclasses or outspent before getting to the track, the class would have more room to grow as well as attracting the lowbudget racer.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question???? Mr. McGoo Electric On-Road 722 11-01-2014 07:05 AM
Parma DB-9 WGT body chicky03 Electric On-Road 89 11-28-2012 05:36 AM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:55 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net