R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Unhappy Please , i really need help !!! ( GTB )

Hi guys ,

I really need help for my GTB .

I went racing on sunday , there was 5 rounds and 2 finals so 7 races .
I did 6 races with my GTB and my GM 6tmotor bad they ran nice , normal temp.
But when it came to the 7th race ( or the 2nd final ) , i put my car on the grid , clean ready to run and as soon as i pressed the throtle the car went forward like normally but when i went through the first corner i braked and when i throtlled out of the corner the car didnt move .
So i went down the rostrum , picked my car and i looked around the car but nothing looked bad .
So i switched of the esc GTB and i turned it back on and i throtled and the motor reved at normall speed but as soon as i went back to neutral and throtled back the motor wouldnt work .
When i got home i went in a massive parking and i turned on the car , put it on the road and i throtled , the car kept on going until i went to neutral i kept the thrtle for 5 mins at low speed and max speed , the motor was running like normal but when i passed neutral ( i braked ) i wanted to throtle back but it didnt move .
So my probleme is that i cant go pass neutral because if i do i have to turn off the esc and turn it back on .
I did the one touch programe on my GTB , i did a reset but it stills doesnt work properly .

I really need help guys because i want to race at a important meeting on sunday and i want to know if i should buy a new ESC or can i fix this anoying probleme .

Thanks for any help guys , it will be greatfull if anyone could help me please .
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Off hand I don't know what to tell you. I can suggest posting this problem in Steve Weiss' Novak thread; he'll be the best bet.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

This seems to be a very strange problem indeed!

Have you perhaps tried your ESC with another motor to narrow down the problem between the ESC and the motor?

There definately seems to be a problem with at least one of them, and I'm afraid if you keep running this combination you're going to have a complete failure eventually.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
This seems to be a very strange problem indeed!

Have you perhaps tried your ESC with another motor to narrow down the problem between the ESC and the motor?

There definately seems to be a problem with at least one of them, and I'm afraid if you keep running this combination you're going to have a complete failure eventually.
Yes , i have tried it with a nosram 3.5 and same probleme and i tried it with a lower turn motor a 13.5 and same probleme .
So i guesse its the esc that has a litle ( ) probleme .
When i turn on the GTB , i have blue ,amber , red leds on solid and when i go full throtle i get blue, amber ,green leds on solid at full speed and when i go back to neutral i have blue ,amber, red on solid and when i go full speed ( this time the motor doesnt move ) i get the same blue , amber , green .same when i go full speed with the motor working but it doesnt work .
Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Make sure the sensor wires are plugged in correctly and all the way seated....
Old 03-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This sounds a lot like a faulty speedy. I recommend you always try to run a matching speedy/motor combo as problems like this tend to occur especially with the GTB. I suggest you get GM speedy to go with your motor. The most reliable plug and play speedy is the LRP (TC spec).
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
Tech Addict

But it was working for the whole day until the last race how come it stoped and the end ?
I have to buy a new speedo .
Old 03-04-2009, 03:00 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
But it was working for the whole day until the last race how come it stoped and the end ?
I have to buy a new speedo .
Some component in the speedo failed. Are you asking why the speedo worked fine before the component failed? I think that question answers itself.

IS there a chance you could borrow a speedo from a friend for a short time. Novak service is excellent, they'll have your GTB back to you in no time.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to infamouse_1
Default gtb = CAP

sounds VERY...VERY familiar, i had the same problem and did everything you did and it came down to the last resort!!! i took off the capasitor and tested it and eventuallay it was blown, its like a thermal shut down the esc cant function without the cap!!! so this an easy fix just go to novaks web site and order the same cap once you recive it install it remember where the wires belong!!! hope this helps you out
infamouse_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Wow, if the failed component is indeed the cap, that's one EASY fix...
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Thats good if its only the cap , but i ordered my GTB from the states and i live in the UK and it took 5 weeks to receive my speedo But now i have it , lol .
So i will order the novak GTB cap from a shop and i will see , i hope its only this .
Thanks for all the help guys , i knew i could count on you guys , thx again .
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Hi , im afraid its the ESC but :

I smelled the ESC and the cap and unfortunately there was a burnt smell , a very strong burnt smell that was coming from the ESc , not the power cap the power smells fine but the ESC smells quite strong .
Does it mean i have to buys a new speedo ?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #13
Tech Elite

If you have time just walk into an electronics shop (where they have parts) and buy an electrolytic capacitor about 2200 to 4500microfarads at 16-25 volts (the higher the voltage the bigger the capacitor physically) and try that. Capacitors don't smell when broken. It should cost you next to nothing so there's no loss other than your time. Try Jaycar if you've got them over there, or jump on the web and search. Farnell is surely present in the UK too, but these are really big guys, you might find some smaller shop just around the corner from you. Probably the first test would be to just try to run without it (just test) and if results are positive you can just go and get one.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:07 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RevMaxx

may we know what happened to the speedo?
i think i may have similar problem with my GTB SS.

when throttled first, motor runs fine from low rev to full.
after a few low and high revs and bring it back to neutral to complete stop then throttle back again, the motor won't rev, it would just slightly wiggle...
-if i slightly turn the pinion of the motor on either direction and pull again the throttle, the motor would rev again like normal.

as long as the motor is runnings, it responses to the throttle like a normal motor.. until you go neutral where motor stops, and throttle back again- sometimes the motor wouldn't run, it would just slightly wiggle.

has any of you experience this? how to correct this?
RevMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 AM   #15
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

You can always email [email protected] with your question, during regular CS hours. Before emailing, take a moment to review the instructions originally included with your Novak Item:

Novak Instruction Downloads

Quote:
Please make your initial email as detailed as possible. Include:

~ warranty claim?
~ speed control (brand/model)
~ motor (brand/wind)
~ rotor (old/new)
~ connectors used
~ servo (brand/model)
~ radio system (receiver/transmitter)
~ vehicle & gearing
~ battery, brand (c rating/capacity)
~ any external modules (BEC/brand, Glitch Buster)
~ other important info: water damage, corrosive chemical sprays, excess heat, etc
The more information you provide in your first email, the more quickly tech support can offer you assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMaxx View Post
may we know what happened to the speedo?
i think i may have similar problem with my GTB SS.

when throttled first, motor runs fine from low rev to full.
after a few low and high revs and bring it back to neutral to complete stop then throttle back again, the motor won't rev, it would just slightly wiggle...
-if i slightly turn the pinion of the motor on either direction and pull again the throttle, the motor would rev again like normal.

as long as the motor is runnings, it responses to the throttle like a normal motor.. until you go neutral where motor stops, and throttle back again- sometimes the motor wouldn't run, it would just slightly wiggle.

has any of you experience this? how to correct this?
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote