R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-21-2001, 08:57 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
I got the new HotBodies upper deck and shocktowers... 1st of all don't recommended getting the shock towers... it raises your ride height by approx. 4mm. Even with the shock nuts all the way up it's still about 8mm ride height...

The Upperdeck..Highly Recommened! works great... took away about 80-90% of the the chassis flex. The car is more responsive.
Handles so much better.... Right now the upperdeck is available but no hardware is provided. You can order it and they will send it out without the hardware... This is what you'll need to install the upperdeck: (4) 5.8 balls w/shoulders, (4) 3mx16m screws, (2) 3mx25m screws. I got mine at Ricky's RC Car... go to www.rickysrccar.com upper deck is about $20.00
With the upperdeck installed no need to get those woven graphite chassis. This should do the job...and it's only $20.00
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 09:30 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

We (the HPI guys, I mean) don't run the screws in the steering posts when using the upper deck, in a big wreck the upper deck can snap at the steering post screws. Just put the stock machine threaded screws in the posts before attaching the upper deck.

I was referring to the molded carbon graphite nylon chassis, we will be shipping it soon if not already. Can't mention what the other option parts are yet but we're testing them and are pretty happy with what we've found so far.
Frank McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 09:34 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Frank.... Great too hear that the graphite chassis is starting to ship.....will there be a graphite/nylon arms and hubs to follow anytime anytime soon?
Old 08-21-2001, 09:48 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
I also will be getting the HB parts soon.

where can i get the required "balls" for the top shock-mounts. the ones that allow for a seperate screw to go through, rather than the standard ballstud.

Frank--> does HPI make one?.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:58 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Hey Guys! I did some expermenting on the arms of the Pro 3, if you boil them for the *2nd* time it's Stronger, ( 1st boil 10 mins., let cool off, then reboil them, yes reboil them, another Pro 3 smack into me hard, could swear the arms broke, but it held up and it turn out it was the steering block broke, the other guys car arm broke, just thought i share this info. with all you Pro 3 drivers.
milf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 09:59 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Fai - I never tried using the turnbuckle as a belt tensioner, so i'm not sure. I just wanted to connect the rear bulkhead to the main chassis.
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 10:06 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by OSherman
I also will be getting the HB parts soon.

where can i get the required "balls" for the top shock-mounts. the ones that allow for a seperate screw to go through, rather than the standard ballstud.

Frank--> does HPI make one?.
You can use the same 5.8balls that are supplied with the PRO3. The ones on the camber links....
Old 08-21-2001, 11:02 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rc-zombies

You can use the same 5.8balls that are supplied with the PRO3. The ones on the camber links....
sounds like a good idea, but i don't understand how you can fit a 5.8mm ball into a 4.7mm opening without any binding? Is there another shock-cap-insert that is included for the bigger ball?...

please explain.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:08 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by OSherman

sounds like a good idea, but i don't understand how you can fit a 5.8mm ball into a 4.7mm opening without any binding? Is there another shock-cap-insert that is included for the bigger ball?...

please explain.
For the shocks....oops...... A137 4.7balls ends... that's what I use on my shocks.... you'll need 8. qty4 per pack.

the 5.8 ball are for the upper deck...
Old 08-21-2001, 07:22 PM   #25
fai
Regional Moderator

Smile

rc-zombies: Great to hear that you've got HB upper deck and shock tower! My Local Hobby Shop doesn't know when will they be arrived!
By the way, may I know that is it possible to take out the battery without removing the upper deck?? Although it's really not a big deal unscrewing those 4 screws... Thanks!
fai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 09:11 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by fai
rc-zombies: Great to hear that you've got HB upper deck and shock tower! My Local Hobby Shop doesn't know when will they be arrived!
By the way, may I know that is it possible to take out the battery without removing the upper deck?? Although it's really not a big deal unscrewing those 4 screws... Thanks!
Do not recommend getting the shock towers... it increases your ride height by 4mm.

Yes... you can remove the batteries without removing the upperdeck.... 1st. remove the batter strap and
After installing the upper deck...you simply slide the battery in between the main drive belt. position in place then work back in the battery strap. you may have to practice a few times...it takes a little longer , but its doable... and you'll also need needle nose plies to get the battery body pin in place.
Removing the screws to change batteries may actually take a little longer to do... there are spacers that support the upper deck in the front bulkhead... you may lose one in the process. hope this helps....

so... you were able to get one of those graphite chassis... I wish I could get one.... I've tried ordering them through JetHobbies or Control Centre... but they're always out of stock...
How about a trade.... upper deck for a graphite chassis...?
Old 08-22-2001, 12:59 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Anyone tried mounting a turnbuckle to the upper part of the hub carriers. I did this to take out the flex. I found you get better steering at the end of the straight but you lose steering in he infeild on slow corners. I also made a uper plate. Works good. Who said Express chassis where good for nothing. I'll have the griphite chassis tommorrow. just in time for the Canadian Nationals.

Dave
OSHRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 02:49 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ProRacer03

I also have the penguin chasis. That thing works wonders!
ProRacer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 10:42 PM   #29
fai
Regional Moderator

rc-zombies: Thanks for your info! One more question: how about battery with connectors (tubes/corally tubes)?? Can they also be taken out without blocking by the HB upper deck?? Thanks!

I think Jet Hobby still hasn't imported those new HPI graphite tube chasis... I think that one I held in my hand was "hand-carry" from Japan directly...
fai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 01:00 AM   #30
Regional Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to fAfA Send a message via Yahoo to fAfA

fai: so do you mean the graphite tub chassis (part-A381) isn't available yet in HK? Do the usual places like Perfect garage have them? Looks like i wont be able to get either the HB top plate and the graphite tub chassis in HK
fAfA is offline   Reply With Quote