R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #391
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
Can somebody give me the breakdown on what everybody is using. Consider price, ease of maintenance, space in the chassis from one to the other, weight distribution and user friendly for installation for electronically challenged racers like me. I'm leaning towards booster but would like to hear your thoughts! By the way I am running 1/12 scale CRC.
Thanks in advance
Novak booster here. I have run both booster and Rx pack. Both are easy, however the booster is install and forget it. Plenty of real estate on the Rev.5 Lipo... It may get a little cramped with a receiver bigger than the KO 2.4ghz. But locally people have also mounted the Novak booster on their servos. They don't really weigh that much, and wont throw the CG that much higher.

Installation is as easy as running the main power wires to the battery lugs on the ESC, and plugging into the Rx. Hide the esc switch and put the booster switch in its place.

With a Rx pack, you will have to charge it periodically. If you use a lipo Rx pack, you will have to worry about low voltage components (I.E. some electronics can't handle over 6v).
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #392
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
If you use a lipo Rx pack, you will have to worry about low voltage components (I.E. some electronics can't handle over 6v).
Unless you use a LiPo Regulator to keep the voltage at 6v.

In regards to the booster, has anyone else found their power/punch from the motor getting softer towards the end of the race, or using more power from the main battery compared to using a receiver battery?

Also, anyone know if the IIC race will have rules regulating the charging or use of LiPo receiver batteries, or if the rules are going to specify the use of boosters only?
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #393
Tech Elite

the single cell lipo seems to show a significant decrease in punch as the race wears on. we have seen it both in the novak booster and the little blue ones from overseas. lap times seem to suffer about .7 of a second from beginning to end. i do not know if it is a characteristic of the 1s lipo, or a booster issue.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #394
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
the single cell lipo seems to show a significant decrease in punch as the race wears on. we have seen it both in the novak booster and the little blue ones from overseas. lap times seem to suffer about .7 of a second from beginning to end. i do not know if it is a characteristic of the 1s lipo, or a booster issue.
I don't think that is the Boosters then, cause yesterday Dumas was running a 2-cell receiver battery in his 1-cell car and he was off between .6 to .8 seconds from his fastest average to his slowest average. I think I need to try the boosters again.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #395
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
I don't think that is the Boosters then, cause yesterday Dumas was running a 2-cell receiver battery in his 1-cell car and he was off between .6 to .8 seconds from his fastest average to his slowest average. I think I need to try the boosters again.
Guys,
Is this with 13.5 or 17.5 motors?
Thanks
Donny Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #396
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Lia View Post
Guys,
Is this with 13.5 or 17.5 motors?
Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #397
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I think its worth mentioning that were still working a groove into our current layout. I bet if we took any of the 13.5 cars at our track off right after 8 minutes, resauced, and then ran we would get back a half second just from the increased traction .. .
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #398
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i am not sure that i read the same. in the main his car dropped basically .4-.5 from start to finish. the problem with comparing fastest laps to slowest laps is that you need to also compare traffic. we had a couple of guys that do not know where the line is and also do not know how to pull off line. then we have some that pull off line and some that don't. it really is hard to guess which driver is going to do what. so this does slow you down quite a bit if you are trying to pass clean.

dumas's first 4 laps were

dumas's last 4 laps were

it probably took him 3-4 laps to catch up to every and start laping them

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #399
Tech Master

I would ask Mike to do just that, re-dope and go back out. I don't think that you will gain back the full .4 (I believe that his last lap was a fluke, even without being there), but if it is a traction issue, it should show.

We have lost almost all our foam sedans, and haven't run the class for at least 4 weeks. We ran 2 WGT cars mixed in with the rubber class, and the traction came up unbelievably. If you want traction to come up, get some WGT cars running. It seems to work quite well here.
ROAR #105242
Old 05-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #400
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
I would ask Mike to do just that, re-dope and go back out. I don't think that you will gain back the full .4 (I believe that his last lap was a fluke, even without being there), but if it is a traction issue, it should show.

We have lost almost all our foam sedans, and haven't run the class for at least 4 weeks. We ran 2 WGT cars mixed in with the rubber class, and the traction came up unbelievably. If you want traction to come up, get some WGT cars running. It seems to work quite well here.
We had 3 WGT cars, 7x Rubber Sedans, 4x 17.5 1/12, and 8x 13.5 1/12 cars.

http://www.jlapracemanager.com/cgi-b...MikesHobbyShop

What I find amazing is how much faster Dumas can wheel his car around the track, putting 2 laps on the whole field every race.

Vegas this year is going to be very interesting with LiPo. I think the racing will be closer than ever, and I can't wait to see all the top guys going head-to-head in the 13.5 SuperStock and Modified 1/12 classes.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #401
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
We had 3 WGT cars, 7x Rubber Sedans, 4x 17.5 1/12, and 8x 13.5 1/12 cars.

http://www.jlapracemanager.com/cgi-b...MikesHobbyShop

What I find amazing is how much faster Dumas can wheel his car around the track, putting 2 laps on the whole field every race.

Vegas this year is going to be very interesting with LiPo. I think the racing will be closer than ever, and I can't wait to see all the top guys going head-to-head in the 13.5 SuperStock and Modified 1/12 classes.
hey, it was less then 2 laps in round 3. lol

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #402
Tech Elite

donnie, we are running 10.5. 1s, same you will be running in vegas.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #403
Tech Master

Quote:
This doesn't surprise me at all.
ROAR #105242
Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #404
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
I think its worth mentioning that were still working a groove into our current layout. I bet if we took any of the 13.5 cars at our track off right after 8 minutes, resauced, and then ran we would get back a half second just from the increased traction .. .
When i was first testing the 1s lipo I ran alot of packs, and experienced the exact same thing. When grip was good, it did not drop off at all. When grip was not good it dropped off up to 1 full second. I'd pull the car off, re-goop and go out and would be right back to where I was at the start. The fall off was all track.

This was with 1C, 13.5. Maybe 10.5 could be a lil different with the higher amp draw, maybe it falls off .2 even when grip is high? dunno.
Donny Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #405
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Lia View Post
When i was first testing the 1s lipo I ran alot of packs, and experienced the exact same thing. When grip was good, it did not drop off at all. When grip was not good it dropped off up to 1 full second. I'd pull the car off, re-goop and go out and would be right back to where I was at the start. The fall off was all track.

This was with 1C, 13.5. Maybe 10.5 could be a lil different with the higher amp draw, maybe it falls off .2 even when grip is high? dunno.
Don't you guys experience the same type of affect with round cells as well? I know that LIPO is different and you guys are searching for the root cause, but I would think this just might be the nature of the single cell solution.