R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #376
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
"...every other..."???? How about "every".

Ampdraw's great! Got my Gen-X 10 from them last year at a bargain price after seeing the WGT boys having so much fun at the IIC.

Bill
What, you have to get technical about it there old man?!
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:32 AM   #377
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
I find it rather funny, that in regards to World GT, there is this constant quest to make the cars slower (3.7v), which is now starting to cost more $$$!!!

And yes, i hear the "less wear on tires and motors" argument, by making them lighter, but seriously when is this going to stop? We finally find a nice balance with a car that is fast out of the box, costing about 1/3 the price of a comparable TC (to buy and run), and now everyone is hell bent on slowing them down to make the racing closer, and less expensive. Are you kidding me? If i keep having to update my car with different lipo's and motors, and such, where does the lower expense fall into play?

So, in conclusion, the new formula for this class is: $$$ + More $$$ = slower cars.

Am i missing something here?

Regards,
Steve
i have been running wgt with a single cell and a 10.5 since the week after nats. i heard rumblings at nats of the class going to single cell so i went for it. the fact of the matter is, that single cell lipos are available for nearly the same price as a 4 cell pack. and you have to only have one, and that one will last all year, if not longer. in addition, the 10.5 single cell is faster than the 13.5 4 cell cars. so i do not understand your anger. we all know that you were not going to go to iic and not have at least 2 new nimh packs, so where is the extra $?
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #378
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
What, you have to get technical about it there old man?!
Yes, he does. Bill is the spelling and grammer Police!
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #379
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
i have been running wgt with a single cell and a 10.5 since the week after nats. i heard rumblings at nats of the class going to single cell so i went for it. the fact of the matter is, that single cell lipos are available for nearly the same price as a 4 cell pack. and you have to only have one, and that one will last all year, if not longer. in addition, the 10.5 single cell is faster than the 13.5 4 cell cars. so i do not understand your anger. we all know that you were not going to go to iic and not have at least 2 new nimh packs, so where is the extra $?
The extra $$$ come later IME. Every time in the last 20 years we have gotten something that is better and cheaper, it turns out maybe better, and definitely dearer. SCR NiCads, SCE, Panasonics, better tyres, better cars, and the latest cost-you-$$$-because-everyone-said-it-was-better is BL. Major speedo manufacturers are releasing new speedos with new software that, if you don't have it, puts you behind - at $200 a pop! And as for the number of motors people have got through...

Once we all get to the IIC and we see the expert classes running LiPo, a new battery will be released every month or so. Within a year you will have and to buy at least two, and probably three, just to keep up. And then there will be new chargers to get the latest techniques, and put your cells right on the voltage and temp limits they are setting in scrutineering. This is what has always happened, and LiPo will be no different. Four packs of EnerG cells is going to look a bargain in 18 months time...
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #380
Tech Elite

if i remember right, 3 years ago, we were all running 3300's. what is out there now? that is the name of the game. the tech side is constantly going to be searching for the next big thing, and that thing will become the norm, and eventually become club fodder. if that were not the case, we would all still be racing our tamiya grasshoppers, or street weapons. just like every other form or motor sports, or any sport for that matter, you have to be able to adapt to and accept the new technology, our you will be left in the dust. that is the way life is. besides, the only person that will tell you you have to buy the next great thing is you. and you tell yourself that because you want to beat the next guy. if you want to continue to run your tc3 and your 3300's be my guest. club racing is the place for you! if you want to go to a big race and try to hang with the big boys, your xxxs and your super rooster are not going to cut it.

please do not take this as a personal attack, because it is not. it's just that we all know that is the way the "hobby" is. it has been like that for years, and will be like that forever. there will always be the bigger better deal, and if you are going to go to big races and try to compete, you will need it to do so.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #381
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post

I probably wasn't clear about what class i'm currently running which is 7.4 lipo/17.5.

So why was it decided to run either a 1s 13.5 or 1s 10.5?

So, to be able to race here or I assume now anywhere, i need to dump my motors and my lipos and buy all different stuff (and in the case of the 13.5/1s, i get to go slower).

So this is my bitch. Maybe i'm on an "Island" with this. All i know is I had a wonderful time this Winter driving a Genx10 17.5/7.4 lipo combo on carpet.
The car was quick, the racing was close, and i didn't have to add boosters or regulators, or whatever the eff i'm going to need to add in order to get the car to work!

Again, if someone could humor me with why it was decided this way, i would greatly appreciate it, and i promise to fade back into the 'cyber' abyss

Thanks,
Steve
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #382
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hi Steve,

I can only comment on my involvement with the WGT class as it pertains to the IIC.

When the WGT class was conceived last year, it was run on 4cell with 13.5 motors. This class was designed to give the average touring car racer an alternative to the complexity of a sedan.

The 4 cell power was the plan for the class since the beginning. When CRC designed their WGT car they designed it to give the user the option to run 4 cell or 6 cell. Unfortunately theirs is the only car to have this option as the others were designed with the 4 cell configuration.

So a majority of the racing that has taken place in WGT over the past year has been with 4 cell and now that 4 cell is being replaced with 1cell Lipo, we are keeping the same power configuration in this class.

I don't think this will answer your questions completely, but this is my thoughts on why I am running the WGT cars in this configuration for the IIC.

Thanks
Scotty
Scotty Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #383
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
Yes, he does. Bill is the spelling and grammer Police!
And YOU had to capitalize Police? Didn't ya???

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:28 AM   #384
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
And YOU had to capitalize Police? Didn't ya???
Yeah, that's right. Com'n get me Copper!
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 AM   #385
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You got him on police and not on his spelling of grammer? Some police you are...
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #386
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRACKSIDE View Post
Hi Steve,

I can only comment on my involvement with the WGT class as it pertains to the IIC.

When the WGT class was conceived last year, it was run on 4cell with 13.5 motors. This class was designed to give the average touring car racer an alternative to the complexity of a sedan.

The 4 cell power was the plan for the class since the beginning. When CRC designed their WGT car they designed it to give the user the option to run 4 cell or 6 cell. Unfortunately theirs is the only car to have this option as the others were designed with the 4 cell configuration.

So a majority of the racing that has taken place in WGT over the past year has been with 4 cell and now that 4 cell is being replaced with 1cell Lipo, we are keeping the same power configuration in this class.

I don't think this will answer your questions completely, but this is my thoughts on why I am running the WGT cars in this configuration for the IIC.

Thanks
Scotty
Thank you Scotty.
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #387
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
I probably wasn't clear about what class i'm currently running which is 7.4 lipo/17.5.

So why was it decided to run either a 1s 13.5 or 1s 10.5?

So, to be able to race here or I assume now anywhere, i need to dump my motors and my lipos and buy all different stuff (and in the case of the 13.5/1s, i get to go slower).

So this is my bitch. Maybe i'm on an "Island" with this. All i know is I had a wonderful time this Winter driving a Genx10 17.5/7.4 lipo combo on carpet.
The car was quick, the racing was close, and i didn't have to add boosters or regulators, or whatever the eff i'm going to need to add in order to get the car to work!

Again, if someone could humor me with why it was decided this way, i would greatly appreciate it, and i promise to fade back into the 'cyber' abyss

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Just sent you a PM.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #388
Tech Master

Did anyone happen to catch Scotty's cameo in the new Star Trek movie?

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #389
Tech Elite

mcsmooth -

bsmooth - so your club was running a class where you made your own set of rules, and now you are upset because the big races don't run what your club does. i get it, our club was doing the same thing. because noone wanted to run nimh. when the rules were changed for lipo at national level races, uor club did the same. i am within 2 tenths of what i was running with 17.5 2s, and have only been running that 1s setup for a month. they are not as far off as you think. if fact, some of our racers are actually faster becuase it the lower voltage calms the car down in the corners and makes it easier to drive.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #390
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Receiver vs. booster

Can somebody give me the breakdown on what everybody is using. Consider price, ease of maintenance, space in the chassis from one to the other, weight distribution and user friendly for installation for electronically challenged racers like me. I'm leaning towards booster but would like to hear your thoughts! By the way I am running 1/12 scale CRC.
Thanks in advance
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote